Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How cold before you will hang a deer overnight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’d be comfortable with 50-60 hanging in the shade. Done this plenty times and never had any problems. I also use those game bags when that warm.

Comment

Below 40 is safe for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Raypo View Post
        Probably even over 60

This was the norm when I was growing up. No one ever took a cooler big enough for a deer to camp so whatever was killed got gutted, skinned, put in cheesecloth and left to hang in the shade until we left Sunday when it rode in the sun on the way home.

We ever got sick nor had ill effect but I’m now sure it cost meat quality.

Now days we quarter and put in ice within an hour unless it’s in the 40’s and at dark

Comment

Did the other night. 42 and below.

Gary

Comment

less than 50 for me.....

Comment

Originally posted by MacDaddy67 View Post
              80s or so
              This ^. The body temperature is about 102F at time of death. Letting a gutted deer hang overnight, even at 80F or so, will allow the meat to cool down to that temperature without harm, and meat can be further cooled down in cooler or processed next morning. Done this many times, and so have most of our ancestors - for hundreds of years.

Comment

Out west you don’t have the humidity that we have here. It makes a difference.

Comment

Depends on whether it is skinned or not. We hang birds at 55 for three or four days before we pluck and draw.

Skinned deer, bone in with meat cut or opened to bone will cool even when hot out. An elk lives at 104 degrees. Just gutting and skinning will cool the meat even at 80 degrees. You don't want to freeze or butcher until it has relaxed.

We hang skinned but we also try to open up the meat next to the bone. That's where it will spoil first.

Comment

50 is ok for a overnight, maybe even 60 but then needs a walk in or put on ice
                    When I was in Alaska last time we had 4 caribou on the ground and it would be in the 40’s at night and 60’s during the day and had to wait 3-4 days for our bush plane with them cut up in cheese cloth ( to keep bugs off ) didn’t loss any meat

Comment

It better be 32 degrees or colder, only done that once, maybe twice.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                        This was the norm when I was growing up. No one ever took a cooler big enough for a deer to camp so whatever was killed got gutted, skinned, put in cheesecloth and left to hang in the shade until we left Sunday when it rode in the sun on the way home.

We ever got sick nor had ill effect but I’m now sure it cost meat quality.

Now days we quarter and put in ice within an hour unless it’s in the 40’s and at dark
                        Totally agree and still is the norm in back country hunts.

Comment

Below 50 is good ! Especially if you happen to skin it out .

Comment

Under 50 will work.

Comment

38° or below.
                              Do some of y'all keep your fridges @ 50°?

ETA: FDA says 40° is the highest temp meat should be "stored", if "storing" for over 2 hours.
                              Last edited by LFD2037; 11-04-2019, 10:32 PM.

Comment

60 max

Comment

Working...
                                X