This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flatlander View Post
    Oregon - who lost their SINGLE game against a RANKED opponent with a freshman QB would get in over a one loss LSU? Oregon doesn't even have a ranked team on their schedule other than Auburn - the whole year, not one ranked team in October or November.

Crazy talk, nothing but crazy talk in here.
    What makes all of this so difficult is the moving goalpost for criteria to make the playoff. One year it's conference titles and 13th data points. The next it's straight up subjectivity "oh we think so and so is best." One year it's "good wins matter" and the next its "good losses matter."

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
      They should tweak the format and make it all conference champs. Take opinion and human bias out of the equation.
      This is about the players now getting paid or compensated. This won't end well imo. Whats to stop some huge booster from buying 25k Joe Burrow jerseys so he gets a large compensation for his likeness or some business hiring a player for 5k to give a 10 minute speech.

Comment

no rematches but we will increase to 8 teams.

condi rice is an expert after all. tbh convinced me.

Comment

Originally posted by MacDaddy67 View Post
          why?
          Take this as an example. To my knowledge it is well documented Phil Knight, owner of Nike, is a huge Oregon donor. What is to stop Phil from learning of a targeted 5* recruit and offering him to pay him for rights to his name if he comes to play for Oregon? In this manner, the school did nothing except have the right alumni. I'm not just talking about football either. Every sport will be impacted. The separation between big money schools will widen to the point of no return, IMO.

This is where college sports will officially turn into the minor leagues.

In general, do I believe athletes should get paid anything? No, absolutely not! A fraction of them are blessed to be given a free or partially free education. Others will have had the chance to experience college like many of us could only dream of and made contacts that will last a lifetime. Many of these experiences will impact them personally and very possibly professionally for the rest of their lives. Take Heath as a prime example. While not a student athlete, his hard work while in the UT athletic department has self-admittedly helped him professionally beyond what I'm sure was one he ll of a good time!

Comment

A$m licking their chops finally this may be their time!! [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Chad_E View Post
              Take this as an example. To my knowledge it is well documented Phil Knight, owner of Nike, is a huge Oregon donor. What is to stop Phil from learning of a targeted 5* recruit and offering him to pay him for rights to his name if he comes to play for Oregon? In this manner, the school did nothing except have the right alumni. I'm not just talking about football either. Every sport will be impacted. The separation between big money schools will widen to the point of no return, IMO.

This is where college sports will officially turn into the minor leagues.

In general, do I believe athletes should get paid anything? No, absolutely not! A fraction of them are blessed to be given a free or partially free education. Others will have had the chance to experience college like many of us could only dream of and made contacts that will last a lifetime. Many of these experiences will impact them personally and very possibly professionally for the rest of their lives. Take Heath as a prime example. While not a student athlete, his hard work while in the UT athletic department has self-admittedly helped him professionally beyond what I'm sure was one he ll of a good time!
              Lol... the big big schools already get ALL the 5 star recruits? If anything, paying players will create MORE parity across the sports.

Comment

ya...okay. Your delusion is noted...

Tell that to Texas A&M...

Ten Largest Public University Campuses by Enrollment (2017-18)
                1 University of Central Florida 66,183
                2 Texas A&M University 64,583
                3 The Ohio State University 59,837
                4 Florida International University 56,851
                5 University of Florida 52,669
                6 University of Minnesota 51,848
                7 University of Texas at Austin 51,525
                8 Arizona State University 51,164
                9 Georgia State University 51,000
                10 University of South Florida 50,577

Comment

Wow, I didn't realize A&M had grown so much in enrollment.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yet won’t make the playoffs if we lose to bama

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post

Correct. If there is another 1 loss conference Champion. You had your shot and didn't even make your conferences championship game.

Seems simple to me.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post

Even with LSU having three wins against top 10 teams, people still think Oregon should get in for winning their garbage conference.

Comment

Come on dude! You know what I meant. “Big big” schools/brands... I.e. Clemson TX OU tOSU Penn State Michigan ND BAMA LSU UGA.

It’s practically the same top 10 schools every year in the recruiting rankings. Those schools by and large have been getting the best of the best players for DECADES.

What does total enrollment have to do with anything, by the way? Why site that? How bout endowment (even though schools would never pay kids from their endowment) or avg net worth of graduates (If that can even be accurately tracked?), or athletics department revenue, etc.
                            Last edited by Daddy D; 10-29-2019, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                              Correct. If there is another 1 loss conference Champion. You had your shot and didn't even make your conferences championship game.

Seems simple to me.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
                              I don’t know how anyone can think like that

A bunch of wins verses garbage is still garbage-

But if my team played in one of those bottom tier conferences where there was never a chance to get two teams in I’d be more likely to understand

Maybe.

Comment

OU has a tiny chance to get in. They obviously have to win out, and win out big and get some help by those losing that are ranked ahead of them. I don’t think they get in. And probably don’t deserve to be in.

Comment

Working...
                                X