Snow Skiing -Colorado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Playa View Post
    So there is actually 2 laws. Traction law and chain law, https://www.google.com/amp/s/kdvr.co...is-season/amp/.

Sounds like chain law is pretty uncommon. Which is good, because according to ford, my f150 isn’t approved for chains. I may look at s class cables or autosocks, and just return them if I don’t use them
    You don't need anything if you have a 4 wheel drive truck and all terrain tires. The rental SUVs with regular m+s tires are fine. Don't worry about it.

The craziest road I have ever driven is the one up the mountain to Ski Apache. I have been up and down that thing in white out blizzard conditions. Nothing to it. I have also seen a lot of two wheel drives stuck or in the ditch. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by 070700 View Post
      We'll be at Wolf Creek Dec 31-Jan 5!
      Maybe we'll run into each other. Staying in Pagosa springs

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

How do front wheel drive cars fare in the snow? I know they are better than rear wheel drive only. This is what we will have from the rental company. They couldn't guarantee a four wheel drive vehicle being the Christmas holiday
        Last edited by ateague11; 12-17-2019, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Let me know how it is! Ill be headed up the day after new years!

Comment

Originally posted by ateague11 View Post
            How do front wheel drive cars fare in the snow? This is what we will have from the rental company. They couldn't guarantee a four wheel drive vehicle being the Christmas holiday
            Much better than 2 wheel drive trucks.

Comment

Front wheel drive will have to have the M/S tires to be legal. They do get much better traction than rear wheel drive
              4 wheel drive means no special tires needed.
              Just take it slow, if you cause an issue without the M/S tires you'll pay for it in a fine.
              You'll have the local subarus flying by on I-70.

Comment

I loved Keystone Resorts, stayed there 3 years ago. Also go to Frisco to ride the
                tubes, my kids had a blast there. Dillon Lake should be froze over, so check it out. And don't forget to take momma shopping in Silverthorn. They have some outlet shops there that are nice. Enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                  Front wheel drive will have to have the M/S tires to be legal. They do get much better traction than rear wheel drive
                  4 wheel drive means no special tires needed.
                  Just take it slow, if you cause an issue without the M/S tires you'll pay for it in a fine.
                  You'll have the local subarus flying by on I-70.
                  Wouldn't the rental company be required to ensure the correct tires are installed?
                  Last edited by ateague11; 12-17-2019, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Not necessarily, they rent those cars in summer too.
                    Just take it slow and easy if it's snowy. They will be looking at the vehicles that cause issues, spin outs or accidents.
                    I-70 has had some iffy weather this year already, just don't cause an "issue" on the highway and you'll be fine.

Comment

I just confirmed with my rental car company that the car will come with M/S rated tires

Comment

It's light, dry puffy snow. It's nothing like an ice storm in Texas.

Comment

We will be in Keystone from Christmas day on as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                            You don't need anything if you have a 4 wheel drive truck and all terrain tires. The rental SUVs with regular m+s tires are fine. Don't worry about it.

The craziest road I have ever driven is the one up the mountain to Ski Apache. I have been up and down that thing in white out blizzard conditions. Nothing to it. I have also seen a lot of two wheel drives stuck or in the ditch. LOL.
                            I’m not concerned, I just don’t want to get half way and the state requires chains and I don’t have them. I’m super comfortable driving in slick conditions and CDOT is good at clearing roads. I will have 300 lbs of shingles plus luggage in the bed to assist with traction and my tires are only 4 months old.

We are staying in Pueblo the night before, & taking 287 N from there. If conditions are bad, we will change routes to I-70 and or get some cables locally

Comment

No snow in CO this year ... you fellas better stay in TX. Early snowfall this year may create a better season than last year. Keystone was great this past weekend with snow all day on Saturday. Enjoy the mountain and have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Shoreman View Post
                                No snow in CO this year ... you fellas better stay in TX. Early snowfall this year may create a better season than last year. Keystone was great this past weekend with snow all day on Saturday. Enjoy the mountain and have fun!
                                I vacationed in Keystone the week before Christmas in 2011 and while there was snow on the mountain for skiing there wasn't hardly any around town. Early season 2011 must have not had much snowfall. This year appears to be different which I am excited since this will be my 6 year old son's first time seeing snow

Comment

Working...
                                X