Southeast Iowa Live..Come along for the season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very cool! In for pics.
    I wish all blood trails looked like that.

Comment

Congrats Mike

Comment

Congrats!!!!

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

Bada bing bada boom

Comment

Well..... if anyone thinks hunting in Iowa is easy they are wrong.

This was my 31st sit since October 19th. I started not to go out this morning because I was pretty much exhausted from hiking some pretty rough terrain, climbing into tree stands and all it takes to get your equipment up and down and stay safe almost twice a day since the middle of October.

Since November 7,8,9,10 are historically the very most prime days for deer movement and particularly buck movement in Iowa I couldn't sleep in. I got up at 4:45 which is a little late. I decided to go to a stand that is about 200 to 300 yards from the house. At about 6:45 I was glassing a small food plot that I planted with rye and Imperial Whitetail Clover. The food plot is about 300 yards from the tree stand I was in. I caught a glimpse of movement and saw a buck moving down the tree line next to the food plot. I looked thru the binos and could see what I consider a shooter. I grabbed my horns and cracked them together as hard as I could and rattled for about 15 seconds. The buck looked my way but started running away down the tree line. I cracked the horns hard again and rattled again and followed up with a couple of long grunts. I had lost sight of the buck and when I saw him again he had jumped a cross fence and was heading my way on a dead run. I got my bow off the hanger got my release clipped on my loop and got ready. I use an HHA Optimizer single pin adjustable sight. I had it set at 27 yards which will cover most any shot from dead close to a little over 30 depending on where you put your pin on the animal. Well...he stopped at around 30-35 yards looking for the fight. I quickly bumped my sight up to 32 yards and then he comes right on into one of my shooting lanes at 18 yards pretty much head on which happens a lot when a buck responds to rattling. I knew it was now or never as a mature buck is not going to stick around long.

When I drew he saw me and turned slightly to his left I held fairly low on his right front shoulder and fired. He wheeled around and ran hard back across the field in front of me. I could see me white fletchings and a portion of the arrow stick out which worried me for a few seconds. As he made a turn I saw my arrow fly up into the air. It had actually broke off. When got about halfway across the field he started to wobble and break down in the front. I saw him go down and flipped up in the air when his head and horns dug in. The whole death run took maybe 5-10 seconds. I was pretty sure he was down for good but gave him 20-30 minutes.

As soon as I got down and found the piece of the arrow I started finding a lot of blood as you can see by the blood trail pics. The Slick Trick Grizz Trick angled down cutting a wicked hole thru both lungs and broke a rib on the off side. There was about 12" of the arrow and the broad head in him.

I a super pumped to get my first Iowa buck. The good news is that this was my farm tag archery buck. I still have my state wide archery tag in my pocket. I will get him skinned and quartered this evening and I will be after another one tomorrow morning.

And....yes that is our house in the back ground in the 3rd picture.[emoji846]

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice buck!!! Congrats, Mike.

Comment

Congrats to you sir. Awesome deer

Comment

Congrats on the toad!

Comment

He’s a dandy! Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great Buck!

Comment

Nicely done sir. Congrats

Comment

Beautiful buck. Congrats.

Comment

Awesome first 2019 Iowa deer Mike! Well deserved! And a big congrats to you too!

Comment

Congratulations thanks for taking us along. Great write up.

Comment

Working...
                                X