No announcement yet.

Culling doesn’t work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dead deer don't eat or breed. decide for yourself if it makes a difference. I have never spent so much time on a subject by a bunch of low math folks who know everything they read and not much more

Comment

Man as someone who has only been on leases where the hunting rules are: See TP&W Annual......I wouldn't know what to do with myself on yalls leases.

Comment

So people who are skimming bucks for more feed for their better deer, exactly how much more food are your putting in your better bucks mouth?

I tend to only shoot one mature buck per year because that’s all the meat I need and let everything else walk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
          Have we changed each others minds yet or we roll'n another 6 pages? Asking for a frie..... eeerrr I mean ALL of TBH.
          6 more pages, bro.

Comment

[QUOTE=Smart;14457058]I'm just a backyard hack...

You said it not me

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
              Coyotes must keep good records...

I'm done here.....after that.
              Collard studies have found no difference in predation rates between male and female fawns.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                6 more pages, bro.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
                  Collard studies have found no difference in predation rates between male and female fawns.

That's great.....must have been a ***** for the coyotes and hogs to keep the ratio at 1:1 before collars.....

So bucks wear blue and the does wear pink?

Comment

I lost interest, starting skimming the thread....then I saw a squirrel.

It's over.

Can't we skim/slay/whack/harvest/kill both bucks and does?

Last time I was at Wal-mart, they sold ammo in boxes of 20.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                      I’m out. Y’all keep posting dumb crap and looking for tracking dogs. Post a serious hunting topic and get hammered. Good grief
                      this site isn't what it use to be, don't get down just keep up with your posting.its refreshing to actually read real post about deer hunting

Comment

Originally posted by muzzyslinger View Post
                        this site isn't what it use to be, don't get down just keep up with your posting.its refreshing to actually read real post about deer hunting
                        I'm glad to hear someone else say that. Your comment, and the fact that this thread has over 8,000 views are what inspire me to continue providing scientifically sound info supported by real-world examples, despite the small handful of contrary antagonist that dodge issues and make personal attacks. I know the vast majority of hunters are smart, reasonable, and discerning individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
                          El General is absolutely, 100%, no biological question about it, no mathematical confusion about it, slam dunk, spot on - correct.

Population growth potential, thus herd numbers, are managed through doe harvest and only doe harvest. Because does have babies, bucks don't. There are no ifs, maybes, woulda, coulda, shoulda's about it.

The "mouth off the range" justification for harvesting bucks less than 6 years old on open range is the last dieing grasps of the culling fad. A ranch could target 30% of the buck herd and few doe, and herd numbers will continue to increase. That is taking place all over Texas.

Where the doe population is being managed to ensure a surplus supply of healthy and reproductive quality browse, thus below carrying capacity, the additional harvest of bucks is ineffective in habitat management because a surplus of forage already exists.

There are a plethora of real-life examples across Texas that demonstrate the sex ratio doesn't become skewed toward bucks when doe harvest maintains herd numbers below carrying capacity and buck harvest is mature only (6 years and up). In open range, there is not a reason anyone should HAVE to kill a buck in the name of habitat management.

Those who feed protein hold on to the last justification for killing immature bucks, but has nothing to do with habitat. Just finances.
                          You're talking about shooting bucks ALONE... Culling to remove mouths isn't a fad, i mean you cull does too... Mouths matter near and long term. A 4 year old buck mouth removed is certainly more impactful than the removal of a .5 year old doe, since she wont have a fawn for 3 years.

Harvest has a memory. If you kill mature does you are driving down fawn crops. Which means fewer bucks. That's not on the front page of your program when you are killing so many does, but that's what you are getting at. You're lowering deer numbers. That's not necessarily what people want.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                            That's great.....must have been a ***** for the coyotes and hogs to keep the ratio at 1:1 before collars.....

So bucks wear blue and the does wear pink?
                            I thought you were done????

Comment

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
                              I thought you were done????

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPw-3e_pzqU"]Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in. - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
                                You're talking about shooting bucks ALONE... Culling to remove mouths isn't a fad, i mean you cull does too... Mouths matter near and long term. A 4 year old buck mouth removed is certainly more impactful than the removal of a .5 year old doe, since she wont have a fawn for 3 years.

I am not talking about shooting bucks alone. I merely use that as an example to exemplify how buck harvest doesn't manage population growth, and thus herd numbers. Stop dodging the points.

Harvest has a memory. If you kill mature does you are driving down fawn crops. Which means fewer bucks. That's not on the front page of your program when you are killing so many does, but that's what you are getting at. You're lowering deer numbers. That's not necessarily what people want.
                                You know good and well that the term "culling" in this subject matter refers to to the removal of young to middle aged bucks. If someone kills a 4 yr old 8 pt, it's commonly referred to as a cull. Stop pretending you don't know that. Also, stop dodging the scientific and real-world evidence that I present, and attempt to present a counter argument that is equally supported.

The whole point of killing doe is to reduce fawn production for the purpose of maintaining herd numbers that ensure high quality natural forage. Yes, that means fewer bucks produced, but the bucks that are produced will have quality forage and thus grow better antlers.The majority of Texas is still low fence without supplemental feed, and doesn't have the luxury of artificially carrying more animals than the range can naturally support while still growing giant bucks via that high fence and unlimited resources to feed multiple tons of protein pellets. Big deer can be grown in the Walmart parking lot.

Scientific evidence clearly shows that whitetail doe breed at 1.5 years, typically can produce 1 fawn at 2 years old, then twins there after. Not having fawns until 3 years is an inaccurate statement.

Comment

Working...
                                X