Culling doesn’t work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by El General View Post

Shooting bucks makes no impact on herd numbers.
    Your math is flawed...

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
      Your math is flawed...
      You shoot a buck and it is replaced the next spring. Shoot a doe and you actually reduce the reproductive ability of the herd.

Comment

Originally posted by Cbb1722 View Post
        Yep I let a nice 10 point walk last year opening morning chasing a doe. Jumps into the neighbors and it wasn’t 20 seconds they shot. Woulda been my best deer too but he needed another year. So now if I like a buck I shoot them. I hate to be that way but might as well get the joy out it like the neighbors
        This! I had a similar situation. I know its low fence free game but when I see the buck I let pass 10 times shot down at the local feed store it makes me a little disappointed. People around us have no sense of management. Also, To manage a low deer number place is really hard to do if you like venison and backstrap..

Comment

You shoot a buck and it is replaced the next spring. Shoot a doe and you actually reduce the reproductive ability of the herd.
          Until she's replaced next spring?

Comment

Deer are born 1:1 or pretty close to it, but females tend to live longer than males, so on a free range place you don’t need to shoot a bunch of bucks to keep the ratio near 1:1.

Shooting bucks makes no impact on herd numbers. We do not feed protein. So, we shoot does to keep population numbers down for improved nutrition.
            Soooo...why the 7 and not the 10?

We are low fence and it took a while to get our ratio to 1:1.2. And with trying to keep our herd at it below proper carrying capacity, we have to shoot does and bucks. I’m not trying to argue or be a jerk, just conversation.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
              Until she's replaced next spring?
              She isn’t actually replaced based on net numbers because her two fawns are not hitting the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                Soooo...why the 7 and not the 10?

We are low fence and it took a while to get our ratio to 1:1.2. And with trying to keep our herd at it below proper carrying capacity, we have to shoot does and bucks. I’m not trying to argue or be a jerk, just conversation.
                It took you a while to get down to that ratio because you were choosing to shoot a buck instead of a doe. Skimming is why it took a while.

Because the 10 probably has a better chance of turning in to something I want to shoot. That is very different than shooting the 7 because I want to “remove its genes” or “keep it from breeding.” Both of those things are impossible.
                Last edited by El General; 10-23-2019, 07:36 AM.

Comment

I can't tell which conversation has been more productive, this one or the one I just had with my 9yo son about how life's not fair and you don't always get to wear a Disney costume on Disney day at school. It has really upset his day and made me want to pull my hair out

Comment

Culling doesn’t work

Deer are born 1:1 or pretty close to it, but females tend to live longer than males, so on a free range place you don’t need to shoot a bunch of bucks to keep the ratio near 1:1.

Shooting bucks makes no impact on herd numbers. We do not feed protein. So, we shoot does to keep population numbers down for improved nutrition.

That’s ridiculous.

Comment

It took you a while to get down to that ration because you were choosing to shoot a buck instead of a doe. Skimming is why it took a while.

Because the 10 probably has a better chance of turning in to something I want to shoot. That is very different than shooting the 7 because I want to “remove its genes” or “keep it from breeding.” Both of those things are impossible.
                      Then call it "I chose to shoot the 7 because I didn't want it eating food the 10pt could be eating." He's still a skim.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                        That’s ridiculous.
                        This has the feel of a troll job but for some reason I don't think it is.

Comment

So according to the keyboard jockeys now killing any deer is culling cuz Webster’s?
                          lol

Comment

That word is really getting to you guys huh

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                              So according to the keyboard jockeys now killing any deer is culling cuz Webster’s?
                              lol

Skimming.. keep up Cotulla!!

Comment

I shoot the ones I don’t want to feed anymore and the ones that give me goosies . Not sure I seen any studies on this Mgmt technique but it works for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X