No announcement yet.

Culling doesn’t work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old habits die hard... real hard apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
      What advantage will you get from killing that 7 point over shooting a doe?
      Advantage? I guess I don’t understand what you are asking. And maybe I should have included more info (maybe I did include more info but I don’t wanna go back and look). On a given property you have to kill a certain number of bucks and a certain number of does. It’s about keeping the desired ratio. Killing that 7 point gets you closer to your number. Does that answer your question?

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post

Also, we're gonna try to get "skimming" off the ground...I like that. "We just out here skimmin 7 points! Whachalldoin?"
      YES!!!!!!!! Skimming the herd! I saw a skim 8 point this weekend and didn’t shoot so maybe I can get a kid on him. It will be a nice skim!

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
        Advantage? I guess I don’t understand what you are asking. And maybe I should have included more info (maybe I did include more info but I don’t wanna go back and look). On a given property you have to kill a certain number of bucks and a certain number of does. It’s about keeping the desired ratio. Killing that 7 point gets you closer to your number. Does that answer your question?

YES!!!!!!!! Skimming the herd! I saw a skim 8 point this weekend and didn’t shoot so maybe I can get a kid on him. It will be a nice skim!

I just changed my plan for the weekend, me and Snoop gonna try to skim ol 6 pack here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Go skim em Dale

Comment

I just changed my plan for the weekend, me and Snoop gonna try to skim ol 6 pack here.

Heck ya!

Comment

I look at it this way. I like a nice green weed free lawn. Therefore I maintain and pull weeds as needed. I know the neighbor may not, which cause seeds of weeds to blow my way. I still do my best to stay on top of it. Weed =cull aka skim in the above scenario.
              Last edited by Take Dead Aim; 10-21-2019, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Might skim this one if my target buck doesn’t cooperate. He’s been around too long with his skimmer length tines. But the skimmers can wait if the whack and stack shows up.[emoji51]

Comment

“You can’t skin’em till you skim’em!”

Comment

Getrdone Snoop!

Comment

Getem snoop!

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                        Might skim this one if my target buck doesn’t cooperate. He’s been around too long with his skimmer length tines. But the skimmers can wait if the whack and stack shows up.[emoji51]

Those would make fine rattlin horns.

Comment

Those would make fine rattlin horns.

You could only rattle up other skims though.

Comment

Oh I’m digging all the SKIM talk!!!

Comment

See? Chances skim line wouldn’t have been born without this post. You’re welcome! We are gonna continue to skim the crappy bucks. Call it killing. Call it skimming. We finna skim those fools!

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post

Ok say your lease biologist is sitting in the stand with you on the last day of the season and after calculating all the harvest data for the season, looks up and tells you to kill 1 more buck. And the 2 Chance described are standing at the feeder. Which one would you shoot?

Simple enough?
                                In that simplistic scenario with unrealistic binary options, I'd probably kill the 7 point. But, the reason wouldn't be because I was culling him. It would be because I want the 10 point to get older. In low fence situations, age, nutrition, and herd management are your only tools for larger antlers.

But, in real life, if my biologist was sitting there, he'd tell me to shoot a doe or a sow pig. Killing one buck isn't going to matter no matter how old or young it is.

Comment

Working...
                                X