Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What percent of archery shots result in recovered animal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
    Kinetic energy is based on speed. The term you're looking for is momentum.
    Are you sure????

"Kinetic energy is directly proportional to the mass of the object and to the square of its velocity.."

Mass: The property of a body that is a measure of its inertia and that is commonly taken as a measure of the amount of material it contains and causes it to have "weight" in a gravitational field..

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
      Are you sure????

"Kinetic energy is directly proportional to the mass of the object and to the square of its velocity.."
      J = 1/2m x v squared. So you have to have velocity to figure your kinetic energy. J=Joules, the unit of KE, m = mass, or grains, v = velocity, which in our case is measured in feet per second.

Edit: KE Calculator if anyone is interested.

Edit2: Reading up on this more, I think as bow hunters we would be more interested in the unit of ft-lbs and not joules. I ain't no scientist.

Edit3: If you're analytical, you will love this... http://bestcompoundbowsource.com/whats-bows-real-speed/ They have a chart at the bottom that says what your KE fits what type of game.
      Last edited by ctom87; 10-18-2019, 05:23 PM.

Comment

My odds on deer are low I’ve shot 3 and recovered 1, lost 2 due to marginal shots and rushing recovery. I’ve found all but 1 hog I’ve shot. And about 50 raccoons.

Comment

I’m sure I cannot think of all of them but in 12 years I can think of 2 bucks out of the 15-20 deer and exotics.

One lived and was shot 2 days later the other had to of lived as it was very high shot placement. So I’d say about 85-90% recovery rate
          Needed dogs on 2 more (1 was a poor shoot and the other made it unbelievably far for the vital damage it had).

Comment

Are you sure????

Mass: The property of a body that is a measure of its inertia and that is commonly taken as a measure of the amount of material it contains and causes it to have "weight" in a gravitational field..
            I'm 100% sure. The answer is in the equations, not the wording. Kinetic Energy squares Velocity...overweighting it. The old analogy of stopping a fast sports car vs stopping a slower dump truck.

Comment

I have lost 1 of 25+ deer and a few hogs.

Comment

Gotta be lower with bows. It’s harder to do, and more can go wrong. There are a lot of 10-year-olds who are good with a rifle, and there are a lot of adults hunting with a bow who are only marginal.

Comment

Out of the last 35 I’ve shot, I’ve lost 3. 2 we’re ninja does that ducked for enough that the shot was too high. Both recovered from the wound and were taken later. The other was a buck that I shot too low and hit his leg. He was also killed by another hunter later that season. That said, we video almost every shot and use tracking dogs on almost every trail. So on marginal hits we wait 2-4 hours then let the dogs do their job.

Comment

You are not "piling up animals" shooting at 70 yards in high wind.... Ill bet good money on that..
                    I’m pretty good at hitting the back button, today I failed. I digress...

Comment

I have been bowhunting since I was 14, so 19-20 years. If I can remember right here are my stats

3 for 5 on deer.
                      3 for 6 on hogs (1 hog I know died but didn’t pursue)
                      1 for 1 on squirrels
                      1 for 1 on Possums
                      1 for 1 on coons

Not perfect but a better tuned bow has upped the percentages

Comment

I’ve killed 40 something deer with my bow. I think I’ve lost four deer, three doe and a big spike. All were early on and marginal hits at best. I know I pushed them by getting out too soon and losing them.

Comment

I’m 2 for 3 for animals shot this year. Miss ranged my first elk and hit it in no mans land.

Comment

I practice a lot and am super confident at the range. I shoot consistent 4 inch groups at 50 yards Aiming at a live deer is different than shooting a bag in your backyard or the range. I always get anxious when a deer walks into bow range. I shot a doe this week and made a bad shot at 30 yds. I'm sure I torqued or over gripped the bow and the shot went forward into the shoulder and a bit high. Found the broken arrow but not her or one drop of blood.
                            I'm sick about it but it happens.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by bakin7005; 10-18-2019, 10:12 PM.

Comment

What percent of archery shots result in recovered animal?

I would guess 75% recovered but who knows. I’m sure there are a lot we never hear about.

I have only taken 3 deer with a bow & had one clean miss on a doe last season (bottom cam hit my knee when shooting sitting down, arrow stuck in the dirt 3 ft in front of her and then she busted me knocking a second arrow) the other 3 were short tracks... 40 yards or so, but I only take shots at 20 yards or less & broadside, that is my comfort level for now.

I’m 3 for 3 on a rabbit, squirrel and coyote also.
                              I’m sure my day is coming and I’ll experience it for myself but it won’t be because of poor shot choices.

So far this season I had to let down on a nice 125” 8 point lm after because of low light and i just didn’t feel comfortable taking the shot, not knowing if my sight was centered in my peep or not even though my anchor is solid.
                              May not get another chance at that deer but that’s better than losing it due to a poor decision and shot placement.

If people would use some discipline when shooting and practice in a hunting setup it would go a long way.

I read a lot of stories on here when lurking when i first started bow hunting.
                              I’ve let down on 3 bucks that I knew the shots were marginal at best because of good advise I’ve read right here! Quartering away, head on, low light ect.
                              One of those bucks I took later that season with a rifle, the other my neighbor took the next year (the 17 point i had a thread on here) and the other one is from this year. That’s my approach on bowhunting and although i don’t have a wall covered in archery bucks, I’m still having fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

In the 15 years I've bowhunted, I've lost 2 hogs out of probably 25. Lost 2 deer out of 12. Both lost deer were shots that hit way too far forward attempting quartering away shots.

All hogs and all but 2 of the deer were taken with trad gear. All shots under 15 yards.

I've never lost a gun shot pig or deer.

Comment

Working...
                                X