No announcement yet.

Gmc 1500 6.2l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a 2018 with the 6.2 and 8 speed. Good gas mileage but transmission issues. Now have an AT4 2019 with 6.2 and ten speed. Trans is smooth as silk but mpg is not as good

Comment

if your 6.2 is getting 22 mpg with 1000lbs in the bed, Chevy should be advertising this!

Originally posted by Loneaggie View Post
      Have one, love it, couldn't go back to the 5.3. Don't do much towing, but do load down the bed quite a bit hauling an ATV and feed back and forth to the lease 3 hours each way. Had a transmission issue in first two weeks (software bug), GM engineers flew in and replaced it and the TCM etc. If you don't like that 8 speed better not buy the new 10 speed in GM and Ford trucks.... its based on the 8 speed. As said above, I think the issue is that the truck usually comes with a 3.42 rear diff... which just isn't enough to do serious towing and causes premature tranny wear and tear. I believe there is a max towing package though that has a 3.73.. maybe?

FWIW I have 60k on my 2016 6.2 and it has been driven hard. No issues.

The MPG is for me still a surprise often times. With an ATV in the bed, plus a few hundred pounds of corn.... I get a legit 20-22 on the highway... and I'm uh.... you know... probably above the 75mph speed limit I get consistently much better mpg than my 5.3... so you have to offset the premium cost to the higher mileage, the real increase it cost of operation is somewhere in between.

Comment

I picked up the 6.2 10 speed Yukon Denali earlier this year. Motor is solid. Valves are a bit loud, 10 speed shifts like a Tesla. Way more fun than my 5.3 Tahoe
        Last edited by Leaverrite; 10-16-2019, 08:04 PM.

Comment

I got 140k miles on my 2014 with the 6.2 and no issues. I pull allot of trailers but I don't have the 8 speed transmission. I do know this I'll never own another 1/2 without at least the 6.2.

Comment

I have a 2015 with a 6.2 and 8 speed transmission. It was just in the shop for two weeks for a stuck valve on number 7 cylinder. This is primarily caused by the active fuel management crap that is there.
            Had what can best be described as shuddering when driving down a smooth road like running over rumble strips on the shoulder. Tried tire balance, new tires, and had front end checked. Google search showed mysterious issue where dealership changed most everything to fix. Dealer service said changing the type of transmission fluid, filter, and flushing is what would fix the issue. So far it has.
            Has anyone with the AFM tried the plug in that can be bought that bypasses that all together? Makes it run on all 8 cylinders all the time.

Comment

Don't do it man!

Comment

My wife drives a 2017. Runs like a scalded ape and really fun to drive.

Bought it with 4 miles on the odometer and have logged every fuel-up since. Overall average of 17.3 mpg over 48K miles. We don’t live in flat country and neither of us is a light touch on the go pedal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a 2012 Chevy 1500 6.2L with 190k miles on it and it’ll strait up snap your neck if you ain’t ready for it! Put a new tranny in it at 170k and still rolling. I run premium gas in mine, full synthetic oil change every 5-7k miles and rotate tires every 10k. Hoping to get another 170k out of it... Love the truck

Comment

Wife has a 2015. Some transmission module was faulty from the beginning. Chevy kept throwing parts at it and it kept having torque converter problems. They finally found the bad mod and said that was the issue all along. It was just 2 expensive to fix at first.

It's near 70k now with no other issue and tows quite a bit. I use tow haul or manual shift mode

Yes, it runs like a scalded ape

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Tagged.
                      Wife's 2012 suburban has the 5.3. Gutless, but has been very reliable for 150k miles. Our biggest problem has been the door handles breaking! What a POS design.

Next one we get will have the 6.2 for sure.

Comment

I drove the 6.2L gas and the new 3.0L Duramax earlier this week. Took them both on a 7 mile test drive out in the country. Reset the trip meter and drove them both the same route. The gasser was showing 13 mpg and the Duramax showed 19 mpg on the same trip. The 6.2 got up to speed faster, I'd say, but the diesel was no slouch. The Duramax was really smooth and quiet. I couldn't tell it was a diesel except the sound at start up. Going down the road there was no noticeable difference in ride or noise.

That's the only experience I have with either of these options. I was thinking about goin back down from my 2500 Duramax to a 1500. The ride quality isn't any better in the half ton than my 3/4 ton and the 2019 2500's have much better rebates, so I'll prolly just get another 2500.

Comment

Working...
                        X