Letting deer walk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 6.5CM View Post
    I wish I could let bucks walk. the problem is if I did the other hunters would shoot him or the neighboring LF leases would also.
    You can't?

Comment

If you want him, shoot him. If you want him to get bigger, let him walk. You are accountable to you. Your neighbors are not.

Comment

Originally posted by ptaylortx View Post
        I haven't killed a mature buck in 4 years. I've passed on these type deer every year. It's aggravating trying to manage East Texas properties for trophy bucks.
        Maybe its time to realize it's just not feasible to produce numerous mature bucks in that area with your surrounding neighbors and it's time to accept the property for what it is. Management is great but you do need like minded folks around you to see good results. If they are blasting away everything that moves then maybe shooting the buck you posted is a nice accomplishment in that area given the circumstances.

Comment

This property has produced several 140-150 deer in the 10 years I've been on it. I don't mind shooting a 110" buck if he's mature and never going to make a top notch buck.

Comment

How big is the place? Is the manager management minded? Sounds like you need to find like minded members.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you shoot him....he’s definitely not getting any bigger! Pass him and hope for the best. However,if you would be happy with him. Then by all means take him.

Comment

Over the years of hunting small east tx properties I have found that either my neighbors hunt less than I think or don't shoot much as most of my bucks make it. Some are destined to get shot, but i think some of the warier bucks may only be seen by you that one time in daylight hours. I too used to think as soon as the jumped the fence they were goners but I have came around.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuck View Post
                  If you shoot him, you know he won’t make it till next year. And if you shoot him because the neighbors will, you are that neighbor. It’s just like you said, you can’t shoot big deer if you keep shooting small ones.

Well said.

Don't be that neighbor. They may be shooting everything because you won't let them grow to 140".

If you want a 140 then wait for one.

Comment

If you shoot him this year he for sure won’t get bigger. If you don’t, he has a chance. That’s how you roll the dice with low fence. My lease is low fence mason county. I let lots of bucks walk. We have some neighbors who like to shoot. You just have to accept you will lose a few and make your property as attractive as it can be for the few. On my lease we do pretty well but ours is mld and well managed. The problem is when the rut hits our bucks go look for the abundance of does on the neighbors place. Then they get shot!

Comment

It's do-able.
                      Takes work and communication.

taking some time in the off season and meeting your neighbors and talking to them about management is a good start. If several adjacent properties all work towards the goal of growing older deer, and collectively let young ones walk, then it's very possible.

My buddy has small acreage in Comal County...it USED to have that same mentality of "if it's brown it's down", but they've been feeding year round, protein, etc and even though the neighbors still shoot whatever and some of his big 10's that are 3.4-4.5, they still harvent old, mature bucks off his place (family only).

Just make the choice to let the young ones walk and stick with it. Old deer get old for a reason and it's not by going into heavily hunted areas.

Make your place a sanctuary and then give it several years...4-5 minimum.

Comment

A lot of leases allow family members and guests to shoot off the paying members quota. If these folks only hunt once or twice a year they normally take the first legal deer they see.

Comment

I'd be on the side of finding a place where I could let deer walk, with a reasonable chance of that deer living through the season.

You're swimming upriver if you want big deer, but are on a lease with people that don't share your goals..

Comment

Are you going to mount him ?

Comment

Would shooting the deer make you happy? Would he be mounted on the wall to look at and remember for years? If it’s just to shoot, does and spikes taste the same.
                              Perfectly said.

Comment

If you shoot him, you know he won’t make it till next year. And if you shoot him because the neighbors will, you are that neighbor. It’s just like you said, you can’t shoot big deer if you keep shooting small ones.
                                ^^^^^ this ^^^^^

Comment

Working...
                                X