Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Thank god for big expandable broadheads!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank god for big expandable broadheads!

Got in the blind yesterday to see how the deer were moving with the cold snap.

Was looking for a doe with no fawns or a old mature 8 I had been seeing on camera, after not much action since opening day I was beginning to get a little antsy.

As soon as the feeder went off, a group of does and fawns came in followed by a 3 year old 7 point who started running the fawns. Deeming this an acceptable cull I got in position and he quickly offered me a broadside shot at 21 yards. I settled the pin right behind his shoulder and right as I touched the release I felt myself jerk and watched the fletching disappear about halfway in the middle of his body pretty high up, I would say the very lowest point of the top 1/3rd of his body.

Knowing immediately it was a poor shot but hoping it at least caught some of his liver, I gave him about 20 min before getting out of the blind. I went and got my arrow, which I found was covered in dark blood with some bubbles.

I start looking for blood and I found not a lot, but a decent amount, enough to follow. Admittedly I’m not the worlds best blood tracker, but found consistent blood, following it down to the creek, I look in a clump of oaks and there he is dead as dollar gas about 60-70 yards from where he got hit.

Walk down and spend some time with him, then open him up for the autopsy.....not only did I catch the liver but the back of both lungs as well....cavity was full of blood.

I fully contribute this quick kill to the 3 blade wasp jackhammer I was shooting. This is the 2nd time I have made a marginal shot and felt the wide cut expandable turned what could have been a nightmare into a dead deer.

Just a PSA to whoever might be on the fence between fixed heads and expandable heads

Good to hear. I love my jak hammers.

Comment

I’ve been shooting jak hammers for over 20 years. 👍

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congratulations! Where's the pics?

Comment

Congratulations! Looking forward to the pics.

Comment

N

Congrats

Comment

Congratulations

Comment

Glad it worked out, its happened to me too!

Comment

Working...
                  X