What’s yalls outtake on video games in school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What’s yalls outtake on video games in school

So last night watch fox 4, I seen were they are doing a video gamer class and making a sports team for e sports or something to the matter. I heard that and my mind went left.

I think it’s a pipe dream for the young generation and a waste of tax money. They say it’s to sharpen there minds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Tx_bowhunter86 View Post
    So last night watch fox 4, I seen were they are doing a video gamer class and making a sports team for e sports or something to the matter. I heard that and my mind went left.

I think it’s a pipe dream for the young generation and a waste of tax money. They say it’s to sharpen there minds.

I agree with you 100%.

Years ago when we had our big family weekend reunions I had a little cousin that would play video games all day long while all the other kids where out playing. Our aunts and uncles would get so mad at him for playing games. He was recruited out of college from Microsoft making 6 figures. 20 years later he is still playing games and designing them and making well into 6 figures and has a great life. His hobby is drag racing and vacations with his family. I guess every so often video games pays off.

Comment

Hate to say it but there’s kids out there playing video games on YouTube and twitch and other platforms that are making more money than both their parents combined. Almost wish I had played more. ALMOST

Comment

It's a big business they ain't playing Pacman anymore. They making money gaming. I personally agree with you, but that because I'm not young. My son plays on Twitch, and he's a college student.

Comment

It's not a pipe dream at all. It's a big money business. The recent fortnite championship had $30 million in the prize pool. All told prize money given out every year is already over $500 million and growing. Gaming companies even hire "Pro" gamers and give them an annual salary and benefits plus a share of the winnings. It's a crazy world. There are far more people making a living in Esports than there are making a living in baseball or football. That's not even including the people that make a living streaming on Youtube or Twitch. Now remember, baseball and football are games too and we pay tax money to put them in schools. Some colleges even offer an esports scholarship now.

All told, I think people should chase their dreams as long as they can make a living doing it. It's really surprising how transferable some of the skills are. Some of these kids are turning into pretty decent heavy equipment operators because they have a good "feel" for the controls.

I don't understand it. I don't play video games. I prefer football and being more active. However, if it can get a kid a scholarship and a means of income, I can't see why it shouldn't be a class. I don't think it affects the kids negatively if you watch them. My 9 year old would spend 12 hours a day on a video game if I would let him. On the flip side, if I tell him to turn off the game and get to bed because we are hunting early in the morning, that game shuts off immediately with zero hesitation by him.

Comment

Army uses these video game kids right now!! Drones flying missions in the middle east are piloted by people in the US, watching 1st person view with a joystick in hand.

Comment

As others have said, it's big business. Let them play if they enjoy doing it, you never know where it may lead. Everything in moderation.

Comment

"Do you watch hours and hours of football, basketball, baseball or hunting shows? Been to sports camps, practice at home with friends. Spend hours scouting or shooting. Spend thousands of dollars on things you had to have for any of those things? What's the difference when I watch someone play on Youtube or Twitch? You enjoy your hobby and I enjoy mine."

That was the response when i ask a 11 or 12 yr old kid why he watches someone else play a game. Couldn't even argue with him.

Comment

Originally posted by thisisbeer View Post
                  It's not a pipe dream at all. It's a big money business. The recent fortnite championship had $30 million in the prize pool. All told prize money given out every year is already over $500 million and growing. Gaming companies even hire "Pro" gamers and give them an annual salary and benefits plus a share of the winnings. It's a crazy world. There are far more people making a living in Esports than there are making a living in baseball or football. That's not even including the people that make a living streaming on Youtube or Twitch. Now remember, baseball and football are games too and we pay tax money to put them in schools. Some colleges even offer an esports scholarship now.

All told, I think people should chase their dreams as long as they can make a living doing it. It's really surprising how transferable some of the skills are. Some of these kids are turning into pretty decent heavy equipment operators because they have a good "feel" for the controls.

I don't understand it. I don't play video games. I prefer football and being more active. However, if it can get a kid a scholarship and a means of income, I can't see why it shouldn't be a class. I don't think it affects the kids negatively if you watch them. My 9 year old would spend 12 hours a day on a video game if I would let him. On the flip side, if I tell him to turn off the game and get to bed because we are hunting early in the morning, that game shuts off immediately with zero hesitation by him.

About how I feel

Comment

My oldest son plays a lot, I would rather him go outside and play like I did. He rarely gives us trouble, does what he’s told, gets super good grades, and loves hunting. I give him crap about it but I think I’m going to ease up on him after reading what I just wrote about him. He’s a good kid.

Comment

My high school stepson played video games ALL the time- until he got his first girlfriend. I have always been a huge gamer, and truly enjoy the new games these days! There is a very large community of older gamers online- whether hard core or just casual. I would highly suggest some of you give it a shot before you bash video games. They are a blast! At the very least, give Borderlands 3 and Destiny 2 a shot!

Originally posted by cap50948 View Post
                      "Do you watch hours and hours of football, basketball, baseball or hunting shows? Been to sports camps, practice at home with friends. Spend hours scouting or shooting. Spend thousands of dollars on things you had to have for any of those things? What's the difference when I watch someone play on Youtube or Twitch? You enjoy your hobby and I enjoy mine."

That was the response when i ask a 11 or 12 yr old kid why he watches someone else play a game. Couldn't even argue with him.

That kid is spot on!!

Comment

I don't like it but it is the future.

Comment

I once helped install internet lines for some type of gaming competition. That was my first real experience in that world. There were 100's of people paying to sit and watch other people play these games. It's no different than watching a football game for most of us.

Comment

I guess according to what’s been said so far, there’s a lot more reasoning to bring it in vs throwing it out. It was tell that moment last night I seen the news I remembered years ago my teacher never gave me my game boy back she took away like 20 years ago.

Comment

My son LOVES video games. He gets a little time daily after chores, sports and homework are done. For him its more of the challenge to figure the game out than it is to win. He is fascinated by glitches and such in the games.

His grades a perfect, his behavior is perfect, he's a **** good baseball player and better teammate, he's a good son, a good brother and everyone who meets him loves him.

Now that I typed that I might just let him binge Saturday morning...

Comment

Working...
                              X