Long range hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
    I think some of it that grates on me is that many of these long-shot enthusiasts need to inform all of us that they made a shot at so-and-so outrageous distance, "look, see what I did!". I don't think I've EVER made a kill and then when someone asks me about it, I pipe up and blurt out that "I shot this buck at whatever yards!" ... is just bad taste to me.
    Even if I could make a shot time and again at extreme distances, I prefer to get closer and/or let it pass till the next opportunity. Again, that's just me because I pride my stalking skills much more than just my ability at taking a wild shot into nowhere land.
    Just like you pride you ability to stalk, some pride their ability to make long shots. Is it that hard to understand? I guarantee you a long shot is harder than the short short, just like the stalk on a short shot is harder than the stalk on a long shot. The skill that getting close is equivalent to the skill that it takes to make the long shot. The skill is just emphasized on different aspects of each part.

Your text reads to me as I’m proud of this skill, but I don’t get why anyone else is proud of their skill I don’t like.
    Last edited by TX03RUBI; 10-11-2019, 03:32 PM.

Comment

I think some of it that grates on me is that many of these long-shot enthusiasts need to inform all of us that they made a shot at so-and-so outrageous distance, "look, see what I did!". I don't think I've EVER made a kill and then when someone asks me about it, I pipe up and blurt out that "I shot this buck at whatever yards!" ... is just bad taste to me.
      Even if I could make a shot time and again at extreme distances, I prefer to get closer and/or let it pass till the next opportunity. Again, that's just me because I pride my stalking skills much more than just my ability at taking a wild shot into nowhere land.
      Everyone on here that posts a pic of anything they did or anything they shot is apparently an attention whhore according to you. The reason I BLURT OUT 972 yards as my longest kill on a deer is because I’m proud of it. Just like the guy that got his first bow kill is proud of his doe. That doe doesn’t mean squat to anyone but him, but he’s still super proud inside and has every right to be. When you stalk up on a deer and kill it, the reason nobody ever asks you how far it was is because nobody cares. If it’s inside 300yds.....nobody cares.
      Don’t be so sour. It’s fall....have some candy corn and get a better out look.

Comment

Comment

I think after reading this thread and being on this forum it becomes pretty simple. There are old school guys like me who were raised to honor and appreciate any animal they took the life of. Do everything in your power to keep the animal you take from suffering. So from my perspective that means do your best to only take shots you feel you can make and with as low a risk as possible.

Apparently the other view from many hunters (and I am assuming the "younger crowd" which may or may not be accurate) - the philosophy is to stretch the limits even if it could compromise taking a clean kill of the animal. As others stated "it is a challenge". For me the challenge in hunting is to see if you are good enough to get close to the animal in order to take it cleanly. 900 yards may be a skilled shot but truthfully has nothing to do with hunting.

If that is your belief and you are good with it then yes - it is a free country we live in and you have the "right" to do so. Does not mean I have to agree with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
            I think after reading this thread and being on this forum it becomes pretty simple. There are old school guys like me who were raised to honor and appreciate any animal they took the life of. Do everything in your power to keep the animal you take from suffering. So from my perspective that means do your best to only take shots you feel you can make and with as low a risk as possible.

Apparently the other view from many hunters (and I am assuming the "younger crowd" which may or may not be accurate) - the philosophy is to stretch the limits even if it could compromise taking a clean kill of the animal. As others stated "it is a challenge". For me the challenge in hunting is to see if you are good enough to get close to the animal in order to take it cleanly. 900 yards may be a skilled shot but truthfully has nothing to do with hunting.

If that is your belief and you are good with it then yes - it is a free country we live in and you have the "right" to do so. Does not mean I have to agree with it.
            If you were truly interested in the cleanest kill possible you’d use a rifle within 100 yds.

Comment

Let’s just all have some candy corn and get along.
              Attached Files

Comment

It’s no different from the battle between traditional, compound and crossbow usage. My opinion is, choose whatever you want and be proficient. And mainly, get out in the woods and take someone with you.!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mdb View Post
                  It’s no different from the battle between traditional, compound and crossbow usage. My opinion is, choose whatever you want and be proficient. And mainly, get out in the woods and take someone with you.!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  That’s the best advice I’ve seen on this thread, but to add one other aspect. Enjoy the outdoors!

Comment

Long range or bow hunting distance is cool.

First buck I shot with a bow was done at 5 steps. That's the closest kill I've ever had. I haven't killed a deer with a bow further than 15 yards away. For me there's two trophies. #1 the animal #2 how close I was able to get.

I say that because when I bow hunt I want the shot as close as possible. If I was a LR hunter I'd want the shot furthest from me!

Comment

if you can close the distance to make a more ethical shot
                      What is your definition of "ethical"?

"The branch of philosophy that deals with morality. Ethics is concerned with distinguishing between good and evil in the world, between right and wrong human actions, and between virtuous and non virtuous characteristics of people."

I don't know about you but I won't judge a person for his or her ability to kill a man or animal out to 1,000 yards. If he is confident in his ability then he is right...who are we to judge? Worry about things that you can do and do them well..not about what others do and do well.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx_Wader View Post

"The branch of philosophy that deals with morality. Ethics is concerned with distinguishing between good and evil in the world, between right and wrong human actions, and between virtuous and non virtuous characteristics of people."

I don't know about you but I won't judge a person for his or her ability to kill a man or animal out to 1,000 yards. If he is confident in his ability then he is right...who are we to judge? Worry about things that you can do and do them well..not about what others do and do well.
                        I do not know you, but I sure appreciate your way of thinking. I’d have a drink with you.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                          If you were truly interested in the cleanest kill possible you’d use a rifle within 100 yds.
                          Read my earlier post - I DO use a rifle within 100 yards - many many times I have gotten out of my blind and stalked a deer so I could get within a 100 yards to take my shot with my rifle

Comment

Originally posted by Tx_Wader View Post

^ this

Comment

Working...
                            X