Where are the ducks? Part 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
    Clearly it's global warming and they don't have to travel as far south.

Honestly, I considered weather patterns to be a major factor but really don’t believe that is the case.

Comment

I am a firm believer that with all the conserved acres and food crops up North, the birds do not have to come any other further South unless it freezes over so hard that all water is solid. The more area conserved, the harder that will be to accomplish on a yearly basis. Fact is the birds will not leave food unless they have no water or are over pressured. Otherwise no need for them to expend the energy to move further South.

Comment

I throw out another scenario
        All these golf course ponds, retention ponds, subdivision ponds within city limits. There are a ton of these small ponds and during the winter months in the dfw area it is not uncommon for me to see 100+/- gadwall, widgeon, ringnecks, scalp, shoveledrs and wild mallards on these city limit ponds. With as many of these ponds as there are it adds up to a lot of birds. Just my thoughts.

On the same note I have seen the local canada goose population explode over the last decade on these same ponds.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
          I am a firm believer that with all the conserved acres and food crops up North, the birds do not have to come any other further South unless it freezes over so hard that all water is solid. The more area conserved, the harder that will be to accomplish on a yearly basis. Fact is the birds will not leave food unless they have no water or are over pressured. Otherwise no need for them to expend the energy to move further South.
          It's been some time since we have had a hard deep freeze up North to lock everything up down to Oklahoma.
          Many ducks will only go as far as they need to.

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
            ??? Dry... We have had some of the wettest weather on record almost statewide.... If anything it's been so flooded ducks are spread out

I buy warmer Winters and more feed up north... Why fly if you don't need to

I think it's effecting our dove to honestly
            I was referring to the last 4-5 years that shifted the fly zone far east and way west
            Ducks won’t go back to an old fly way until something forces them to.
            JMHO

Comment

Working...
            X