VFD donations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VFD donations?

On Monday, lighting started a fire at our ranch. The Llano VFD came out with 2 brush trucks and got it contained. Approximately 10-20 acres burned.
    We are going to give them a donation but not really sure what amount is appropriate. They ran over a stob and blew one tire.
    How much would you give?

I always gave our little VFD $500.00 every year. They always seemed very happy with it.

Comment

I would ask if they have a specific need that you could address within your budget.

If not, I would load them up on bottles of water and sports drinks. If they have a station that is equipped with a kitchenette/kitchen maybe some snacks.

I know the guys under our ESD really appreciate having those types of items on hand.

Comment

1G and a new tire.

Comment

$500 and some BBQ

Comment

Tax deductible.....give whatever you're comfortable with giving. For some people $20 is alot, for some $2000 is nothing

Comment

Good for y'all for recognizing the need they have. I grew up in a town where if the VFD didn't show up, your **** burned to the ground. Paid firefighters often look down on the volunteers, and I've seen disparaging comments on here many times, but the majority of this country is probably covered by a VFD. Men who have no other motive than helping to protect their neighbors' places. I've never volunteered to run into a burning building, but I can **** sure write a check. $1000 won't hurt y'all, but'll sure help them. They'll also load your plate up more at the next BBQ Fundraiser.

Comment

I assure you you've never heard me speak ill of a volunteer and I'm in my 33rd career year of paid FF.

On another note, depending on your situation an auction hunt benefitting the vfd may earn even more, or a rifle donated towards a raffle.

Comment

Whatever you donate cash wise, they will use it wisely. Many times, they are trying to raise money towards a grant. The VFD I'm apart of just had a custom built brush truck for $360,000 that only cost $30,000 or so because of grants.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                    Good for y'all for recognizing the need they have. I grew up in a town where if the VFD didn't show up, your **** burned to the ground. Paid firefighters often look down on the volunteers, and I've seen disparaging comments on here many times, but the majority of this country is probably covered by a VFD. Men who have no other motive than helping to protect their neighbors' places. I've never volunteered to run into a burning building, but I can **** sure write a check. $1000 won't hurt y'all, but'll sure help them. They'll also load your plate up more at the next BBQ Fundraiser.
                    No probably to it, NFPA last census has about 80% of all FDs are volunteer. Hard to believe but our neighboring department in Pasadena is the 2nd largest department in the US and is still volunteer.

Comment

What would you have paid if you knew it was gonna burn up 4 deer blinds and a barn?

I would think a couple thousand bucks would really be significant to their operation. They usually have a yearly BBQ/Fish fry, auction, fundraiser as well. Those are a good chance to go over pay for something you may or may not need and run some bids up.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                        What would you have paid if you knew it was gonna burn up 4 deer blinds and a barn?

I would think a couple thousand bucks would really be significant to their operation. They usually have a yearly BBQ/Fish fry, auction, fundraiser as well. Those are a good chance to go over pay for something you may or may not need and run some bids up.
                        Running up bids is fun.

Comment

Originally posted by JerryC View Post
                          Running up bids is fun.
                          Had a buddy get stuck with a $40k steer that was "running bids up" at the County Fair a couple years back. Funny as hell.

Comment

I was just hunting in the Batesville area and our guide was lining out some VFD issues while helping us out mid day on Saturday and it was their tanker with tire issues. He said the landowner of the property we were hunting gives them a $5K check every year and he sure appreciated it.

Comment

Originally posted by JerryC View Post
                              Running up bids is fun.
                              Had a buddy get stuck with a $40k steer that was "running bids up" at the County Fair a couple years back. Funny as hell.

Double post....still funny.

Comment

Working...
                              X