Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New metal home build....advice needed please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New metal home build....advice needed please.

I’ve been putting off building a new house for a long time. Mainly because my home is paid for free & clear. However, it’s small/old and I’m ready for a new space. I’m 39 so this could possibly be my “last home” unless I get extremely wealthy from mulching brush in the future. I have 20 acres of land down the road from my current home that I will be building on.

I’m just looking for advice/experience from people who have built this type of home. The plan is for for 2700-2900 sqft of living space. It’s very tall so did you have issues heating/cooling it? It’s a lot of concrete. Any foundation issues? Anything you’d do differently? I plan to do spray foam. Good windows. There is still time to change my mind on this type of house vs a traditional build as long as it’s some good reasons.

Any ideas, changes, advice, experience is all much appreciated.
    If anyone on here does house plans, let me know. I’m going to need it drawn up. You’ll need to be able to use the creative freedom I give you in some areas because I’m not dead certain on every detail.
    Attached Files

Also, if by some random chance anyone knows who owns the house pictured or where it’s located, please let me know. I’d love to see it in person.

Comment

Got to say, that living room is way oversized for the total living space and furniture.
      Some pros and cons

Stained concrete
      Pros
      Inexpensive and trendy
      Cons
      Loud, cracks, wears when dirt or sand is left on the surface to long.

Metal Buildings
      Pros
      Inexpensive, very little maintenance, easy to alter interior spaces.
      Cons
      Kind of ugly in appearance, they can rust, sometimes loud in storms.

Stairs
      Pros
      Zero, they just take to much effort.
      Cons
      You fall down them and they get hard to climb when you get old.

Things I would recommend.
      Hybrid Water heater with recirculating pump
      Foam (As mentioned)
      Zero entry showers and oversized
      A door from the outside to your master bath. Maybe install an outside shower next to it
      Bidet toilet seat. You'll thank me.
      Test all your led's before buying them. It took me a long time, but my lighting in my new home is the perfect KV and temp.

Good luck.

Comment

I appreciate all that info.
        On the stairs, I’ve been set on having an upstairs for a long time. For a number of reason. To get the amount of living space I want, without having a monster size foot print, I need an upstairs. I want a man cave/gun room upstairs with a balcony so that I can shoot down my shooting range from off the balcony or just inside the door of my room. This has been in my mind for years.

I’m not set on concrete floors. I like the wood “look” tile also. Seems like I hear a lot of negative on staind concrete floors anyway. There will be no carpet except for in the bedrooms. I have dogs and always will.

On the metal building being ugly on the exterior, that doesn’t matter much to me. I live in a pretty secluded area down a long private drive. Nobody will be able to see my home unless they are coming to see me. I don’t need curb appeal.

Comment

I don't have much to add. We built one a couple of years back but did not do the high ceilings. Stairs might seem great now but wait until you get old then they suck. Other than that I think you get it all figured out.

Comment

Just don't post the interior on Facebook for the tax appraisal district to see. Trust me I was on the appraisal board

Comment

I can’t answer any of your questions, but let me say this. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and that’s a pretty house to me. Aesthetics are purely personal and the inside is gorgeous ! The stairs won’t suck until you get really old and you may want to downsize by then. Priorities change and you can change with them. Good luck !

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                Just don't post the interior on Facebook for the tax appraisal district to see. Trust me I was on the appraisal board
                I appreciate the advice, but I don’t have a Facebook. Social media is cancer on society.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                  I can’t answer any of your questions, but let me say this. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and that’s a pretty house to me. Aesthetics are purely personal and the inside is gorgeous ! The stairs won’t suck until you get really old and you may want to downsize by then. Priorities change and you can change with them. Good luck !
                  I fully agree. I’d rather spend more on the inside where I’ll be living than trying to make the outside appealing to people that will never see it anyway. I know most are not a fan of the stairs. The master bedroom/bathroom will be downstairs. I’ve wanted an upstairs man/gun room with a balcony to shoot from for a very long time. It’s going to happen.

Comment

Working...
                  X