Transfer of Ownership

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transfer of Ownership

Can someone here that knows give me a brief rundown on what is involved with transferring ownership of land and a house? Going through a divorce and the land was in both of our names. Then we built a house on the land, again in both names. She has agreed to 'put it all in my name' in exchange for money, which will work out well for me. Can't be all that hard as people buy and sell land all the time, but since I've never done it, not sure how to do it.

Do you have an attorney handling the divorce?

Usually, a quitclaim deed is the vehicle that is used, but no one who is actually qualified is going to advise you to do that without a lot more information.

Comment

Attorney for sure,

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
        Do you have an attorney handling the divorce?
        We do, same attorney for both, really just to handle the paperwork and move things along. So far, completely uncontested and should stay that way. But, the terms in the 'deal' are a little unconventional, so, we both wanted to avoid the lawyer if possible. Not sure of the official language, but the lawyer is simply putting that we are dividing all the assets on our own. So, we'd like to do this on our own as well if possible, I.e. just selling me the property.

Comment

Check with a title company

Comment

I would not advise using a quitclaim deed in this situation. Do you owe money on the land and house? If not, it's a fairly easy process. PM me if you'd like a little more tailored advice.

Comment

Nope, all paid for and clear. I'll PM, thanks.

Comment

My brother and I bought a house together and when he got married I bought him out. Title company handled all of it.

Comment

Warranty Deed

Comment

Working...
                  X