No announcement yet.

If you hit a deer with your car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like some good back strap going to waste.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
      I've hit more deer than your average person I bet. One even hit me one time. Ran right into the passenger side door and scared the crap out of me. Not one has died. Not right on the spot anyway. I just let them go and continue on down the road. If they died they died if not they didn't.
      This happened to my Dad outside of Victoria about 5 years ago. Going down the hwy at 70mph and the deer tried to run across the road in front of him and didn't make it. Was about $10k in damage, set all the airbags off. Crazy.
      Attached Files

Comment

I’ve got a good story for you guys as much as it still pains me to tell. A little long but worth it.

I had to borrow my dads truck last year to head to the lease due to mine being in the shop. He has a nice dodge that’s really been taken care of and he repeatedly told me to not let anything happen to it. This was his baby. (This is a little foreshadowing) I left a little late and was outside of goldthwaite when a little yearling ran out in front of me. I was pulling the ranger with 1500 lbs of corn so there wasn’t much I could do and just plowed it over. He’s got a ranch hand so it didn’t do any damage but boy was I worried. Pulled over and checked out every crevice of that truck and everything was fine cause I was sweating bullets. I was a few miles outside of Millersview a little bit later and there was a doe that was running down the side of the road so I tried to slow down and get in the other lane but she decided to follow my headlights and hit the corner of the ranch hand slinging her down the side of the truck making one long dent. Surprisingly, the old man just said pay his deductible and we’ll get it taken care of.

Everything was going good after that and I got everything taken care of. I even made it a point to leave early enough to not drive at dark on the way back to risk hitting another deer. I was about 10 miles away from dropping off the truck when all of a sudden something just collided with the side of the truck. I slammed on the brakes and was absolutely stunned. I had no idea what had happened. I put the hazards on and walked To the side of the truck to find it completely caved in on one side. I looked back and a 10 point buck had RUN INTO THE SIDE OF THE TRUCK! I was so irate at this point I just gave up and sat on the side of the trailer in silence.

Did I mention that I had never hit a deer in my life before this? I hit 3 in one weekend!

Needless to say, I can’t borrow the old mans truck anymore lol

Comment

Had this happen last week. I was ready to dispatch it but it was already dead when I got to him.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
            I killed one on 2222 in Austin with a big pry bar on the way to a Christmas party. Got to the party and some guy showed up shortly after we did and said he had to take his wife home because she was so shaken up because she saw a “Neanderthal kill a deer with a stick.” My buddy pointed to me and said, “it was so easy a caveman could do it.” Haaaaaaa.

Comment

Originally posted by 1riot1ranger View Post
              similar situation but with an axis. County animal control officer came and shot it and left it lay on the side of the road. Thought maybe they would haul it off and realized if they picked up every dead dear in the hill country there wouldn't be space to stack em….
              In WV where my grandparents live the dead deer on the sides of the road is pretty nuts, the city/county does not pick up the deer but they do stop and shovel a couple scoops of lime on them to help mother nature get rid of it a little quicker and keep the smell down.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
                Doesn't look like he dropped his Bud light until his hand slid off.
                Technically we calling it "degloving." Don't google that.

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                I killed one on 2222 in Austin with a big pry bar on the way to a Christmas party. Got to the party and some guy showed up shortly after we did and said he had to take his wife home because she was so shaken up because she saw a “Neanderthal kill a deer with a stick.” My buddy pointed to me and said, “it was so easy a caveman could do it.” Haaaaaaa.
                That's hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                  I'm putting the poor animal out of his misery every time. In my mind the consequences don't out way doing whats morally right in my mind. Go ahead and write me a ticket for "dispatching suffering animal".
                  Plus 1

Comment

My wife ran over over a few weeks ago. Disabled her vehicle. We live out in the country. I left work to go get her, she was only about 1/2 mile from our gate. Deer was still alive. Called GW and he said take care of it, if we wanted meat, we could take it. It was a rainy Tuesday about 7:30 in the morning, I’m sure he didn’t want to make an appearance. Lol. So I did what any redneck would do, went home and grabbed my 22 and my buggy and got a freezer full of meat before season opened. Lol

Comment

I’ve always loved shooting deer, but guess I’m getting soft in my old age. Figure I’ve taken enough out over the years, whats the harm in trying to save one. Dragged this yearling off 2978 and realized he was still alive. Loaded him the back seat and headed to the vets office. Ended up losing him, temp was 105’ from laying on the hot road....but I did my part. Oh...and the harm in trying to save one turned out to be about $250.

Comment

Every now and then one gets taken into custody and made into sausage

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                          Every now and then one gets taken into custody and made into sausage

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                          Hahahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                            not everyone has a gun w them at all times, that could be part of it too. But I agree, they need to put out of misery

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
                              I wouldn't have called, anybody...…………..
                              I don't need any advice.....
                              I know what to do.... And so do you...…..
                              Yessir

Comment

Working...
                              X