Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antelope Hunting - Can’t be that hard

Originally posted by Shane View Post
    Antelope males have horns. Male deer have antlers.

Pet peeve of mine. Also, he's in Canadian, TX... Can't get much further North in Texas than that. In other words NORTH Texas

So that's the confusion. I thought i had read where females DO have horns. The black patches, though, make it easy to differentiate bucks/does. That's what I was after. Pretty easy to see in the pic below.

Comment

Females can have small little bumps, but they won't have big horns like the males. The older the buck, the bigger and blacker the cheek spot is.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
        Just like deer. Bucks have horns. Does don’t for the most part. And he is in the panhandle FYI. North Texas is DFW to Denton area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Incorrect females can have the haired horns also

To the OP the single easiest way is the black patch on the cheek. It’s a gland

I shoot a lot does in later winter, males have shed sheaths and have limited growth. Blk cheek face is the only fail safe way
        Last edited by Texans42; 10-02-2019, 02:14 PM. Reason: Correct shed

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
          Incorrect females can have the haired horns also

To the OP the single easiest way is the black patch on the cheek. It’s a gland

I shoot a lot does in later winter, males have shed sheaths and have limited growth. Blk cheek face is the only fail safe way

That’s why I said for the most part for the layman that has never seen one in person that is the easiest way to break it down and for 90+% of the pronghorn population it holds true. Just like some whitetail does grow antlers occasionally.

And to my knowledge I didn’t think they shed there horns at just like a goat or sheep. But been wrong before.

Comment

They shed the sheath ever year. It’s a constant growing hair.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
              They shed the sheath ever year. It’s a constant growing hair.
              Outter sheath is probably a better description. New pushes the old off

Comment

Out of curiosity who is he hunting with? OR where? I have a good bud Cody Mathews who is guiding a couple guys bowhunting lopes today..... be pretty cool if this was the same guys

Comment

I hunted them down around Marfa back in about 2002. They were rutting hard and chasing does everywhere. They didn't give two hoots about us driving around in that diesel pickup. I shot mine outta the truck. NOt exactly what I had imagined. I'd read for years about crawling through snake infested, sticker infested ground to get within rifle reach and finally getting close enough for the shot. Pretty big let down to shoot from the truck.

Our old mule deer lease north of Van Horn was a different story. If they even thought they saw you they were headed out in a hurry.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
                    Pet peeve of mine. Also, he's in Canadian, TX... Can't get much further North in Texas than that. In other words NORTH Texas

So that's the confusion. I thought i had read where females DO have horns. The black patches, though, make it easy to differentiate bucks/does. That's what I was after. Pretty easy to see in the pic below.

And amen brotha----we make that description of north tx look like you are in Brownsville we da real north

Comment

Originally posted by bear View Post
                      Out of curiosity who is he hunting with? OR where? I have a good bud Cody Mathews who is guiding a couple guys bowhunting lopes today..... be pretty cool if this was the same guys
                      He's "working" as an environmental consultant. Hopping drill site to drill site. I told him that he needs to have all his licensing and a rifle on his front seat with the amount of public land he crosses (I imagine) getting to where he's going. Last year, he sent me a video from his tent in Lincoln NF. The elk had to be less than 50 yds away judging by the volume of the bugles.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
                        He's "working" as an environmental consultant. Hopping drill site to drill site. I told him that he needs to have all his licensing and a rifle on his front seat with the amount of public land he crosses (I imagine) getting to where he's going. Last year, he sent me a video from his tent in Lincoln NF. The elk had to be less than 50 yds away judging by the volume of the bugles.
                        Heck yeah.... still cool. Elk around here are sneaky. See them for awhile then disappear- but then reappear the next yea. Crazy stuff

Comment

The hardest part is getting drawn.

Comment

Pronghorn can be tough to get to hunt. If you put in for a draw, you have 2 basic paths. The first is to put in for a really good unit where the odds of drawing are bad but the hunts are good. The second is put in for a easy to draw unit and struggle to find roads getting to public land. If you draw a good unit, yes it can be easy. If you draw a tougher unit than access and numbers make it tough.

Normally speaking a private land outfitter has 100% opportunity on rifle hunts. Archery is brutal baking on a water hole.

I’ve done all of these. Actually leave tomorrow to try the tougher hunt and easy draw way.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                              The hardest part is getting drawn.

Oklahoma is OTC for archery

Comment

Originally posted by Raypo View Post
                                Actually leave tomorrow to try the tougher hunt and easy draw way.
                                Good luck. I look forward to the LDPs!

Comment

Working...
                                X