Funny public land discoveries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
    Early 2000's were camped on top of Mt. Yonah in North Georgia on a rock climbing trip. It was getting late and we were getting tipsy. We kept hearing noises in the woods all around camp. The noises got more and more surreal, then low growls and howls circling us. None of us had the jewels to leave the fire to investigate and we circled the wagons scared as all get up. All of the sudden all hell broke loose and a group of Army Rangers in full kit and NV's broke out of the woods and into our camp. Scared the living crap out of us. They got a good laugh out of it. Once we cleaned out our shorts we sat down for a few minutes with them and shared some food. Awesome group of guys. They did ask that we not report seeing them as it could get them in trouble as part of the patrol was not to be seen. They just couldn't resist the temptation of messing with us out there. Not really a find but a cool public land thing.

Hahahaha. Sounds terrifying but hilarious!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Funny public land discoveries

Local teen’s pot camp not far behind my parent’s house in Sam complete with blue tarp bedroom, mattress, old couch,fire ring, multiple bongs and about a 12 pack of hot keystone.

Abandoned meth lab much further in.

Ram’s horn way, way deep in Sam in a thicket I was trying to cut through.

The drug stuff creeped me out especially when I had my daughter in tow. However, hanging dolls would have had me running with her piggy back and me soiling my britches.

Last edited by TexaRican; 10-02-2019, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
        Is that off of fm 1416 ?? There is a community called Belgrade
        Yeah, I think so. I have a picture of the marker somewhere in my collection

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
          Yeah, I think so. I have a picture of the marker somewhere in my collection
          I just sold my place on 2460 . The community is called Biloxi. Its 2 miles from Belgrade.. that Area use to be logging communities. Back in the 1800s .. Biloxi was named after Indians that settled the area from Mississippi.. my dad found a bird point one morning while hunting my land..

Comment

Years ago I was way off in the backwater of Dam B off the Neches, came across a pile of chit with enough toilet paper to last a normal man a month.....10 yards further I found that duck hunters compass and duck call.

Comment

In the mid 60's a couple of high school friends and I drove up to the Sam Houston to hunt squirrels, camp out and drink adult beverages. As we were sitting around the camp fire, a voice called out "coming in the camp". A game warden and a big ole fella wearing a Stetson, a 45 on his hip and a badge pinned to his white shirt walked in. They were looking for an escaped prisoner. The big ole fella walked over to the cooler, opened it and then moved the food to one side. Went thru the ice to the bottom and pulled out a Bud. He asked "whose is this". We looked at each other and it seemed like after about 4 hours, I said "it's my dad's." He asked where he was at and I said "he didn't come". After it seemed like another 4 hours they said to be careful and left. That did it for me, I gave up drinking....Bud.

Comment

Friend of mine pulled into the wrong gate just outside of Brazoria along the Brazos river. Way back in the woods they pulled up on 8 or so small shacks in a U shape. Most of the occupants were armed and sitting on their porch. My friend and his Mom were not met with kindness. An armed man and woman wanted to know why they were back there. Thank god they let them go because there's no telling what kind of operation they just stumbled up on.
                After that incident, I noticed on 2 different occasions an older woman dropping off what appeared to be supplies under the bridge that was about 50 yards from that gate. She was dropping off Walmart bags and bottled water.

Comment

Originally posted by Txprowler View Post
                  A few years ago in Sam Houston I found a dead horse with a saddle and still tied to a tree.
                  Jeez..that's terrible

Comment

Not public land, but we were hunting the El Sauz and we were smack in the middle of nowhere and found this. Really creepy.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by HotRod Hunter View Post
                      I hope you left the souvenir where you found it
                      Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
                      Still got em?

...asking for a friend
                      Which one were you interested in?

Originally posted by Txtourist View Post
                      Found a giant fancy glass pipe on a big padded carry case miles up from a trial-head in Colorado just sitting on a boulder all loaded with pot ready to go. Guessing someone had smoked a ton based on the pipe size and just lost their focus, or they got carried off by a mountain lion.
                      It happens.

Comment

Originally posted by TCR² View Post
                        Years ago I was way off in the backwater of Dam B off the Neches, came across a pile of chit with enough toilet paper to last a normal man a month.....10 yards further I found that duck hunters compass and duck call.
                        Sometimes a feller just has to wipe real deep.

Comment

Originally posted by Txprowler View Post
                          A few years ago in Sam Houston I found a dead horse with a saddle and still tied to a tree.
                          That sucks..... horrible way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowflinger84 View Post
                            was hunting on lake Grapevine and walked up on a homeless colony that was currently occupied. It was dark since I was traveling to the blind and they thought it was a drug raid or something so kind of crazy for a bit. I kept on walking, at a faster pace, found my tree and started climbing. My heart was racing faster than any deer I had a chance at seeing. Good times.

I was walking into a public piece to do some pig hunting. It was the first time in there for the guy coming with me and I pointed out the other vehicles at the parking area and told him which one was used by the illegal squatters and since there was a vehicle I didn’t recognize it could be meth heads.

We proceed into the words before sunrise and stumble (figuratively) into a pair of apparent meth heads. They were freaked out, we had a couple of nervy moments for us until they realized we weren’t there for them...

Comment

More duck decoys than I can count. Last year I found a home made hanging stand nailed to a tree. It hand been there for a long time, and was covered in covered in moss. I have also found a few climbing stands that have been left in the woods.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
                                Not public land, but we were hunting the El Sauz and we were smack in the middle of nowhere and found this. Really creepy.
                                Wonder if someone that walked across the border left that? Though I would think going through the El Sauz is the hard way to go north.

When I was hunting in South Texas, we'd find clothes, blankets, backpacks, and even a dug latrine once.

The deer lease I grew up on off 83 north of Garvins Store had an interesting find. On the inside of the window glass of one of our deer blinds was etched in very poor spanish, "5 people slept here on September 5, 1985, Gracias y Vaya Con Dios"

In East Texas on some private we had permission to duck hunt on, we found a full box blind on 6' landscape timbers that appeared to have been built in place. Nice blind. Carpet and good windows with office chairs. A couple of 30-06 cases on the floor. It was in a clearing that was about 20 yards by 100 yards where someone had removed the brush and there was evidence of feed being eaten at the far end from the blind. We were just kinda scouting around/wandering and not hunting as it was during the split. A large landholding family owns it, but they don't do anything with this tract other than timber then and pump oil and gas now. We called the guy that gave us verbal permission to apologize and say we would keep out of that area. He said he didn't know anything about it, but he would check with the cousins. We heard back about a month later that it wasn't theirs and he would appreciate if we burned it down. We had us a nice little camp fire that night.

I always wondered about whose it was. It is in SE Texas. It wasn't on a huge tract, but it wasn't particularly close to a property line either. Building box blinds doesn't seem to be the poacher's way. I got lost back there a few times. I always kinda thought some local who had permission on an adjacent property got lost.

Comment

Working...
                                X