No announcement yet.

**2019 Moose Hunt** DIY Float Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What!!! just open a beer to read the whole story.. In for a good one.

Comment

This is going to be good

Comment

Keep it coming. Very interested

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Pulls up a chair with a cup of coffee... I'm in

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m hooked. Can’t wait for more.

Comment

sounds like a lot of work, Im tuned in

Comment

Crap. Opened this thread too soon.

Comment

In

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm in!

Comment

Waiting impatiently here!! Can’t wait to read the rest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sweet !!
                        This is going to be good .

Comment

This is already awesome

Comment

In. Sounds like it’s gonna be a good read!

Comment

Dang it, I just sat down to read this one and there’s only the first update. Come on man!!

Comment

The flight out was full of spectacular views, getting more and more breathe taking with each pass we went through on our way to the opposite side of the mountain range. It was all beginning to come together and soon we would be doing exactly what we had thought of years prior, hunting moose in the wilds of Alaska in about as remote of a valley as one could be in. As we came out of the pass and banked a hard right to head up the drainage we had picked the sun shine down on it as if the lord had lit it up just to give us a grand entry. We make it up to the drop off lake and we’re a little too high so we circle to lose altitude and speed to be right where we need to be. While we’re circling I spot a bull standing in a creek that leads to the main river about 1.5-2 miles away from where we’re landing. He looks legal (50”+) especially with his pans just reflecting sun like dang satellite dishes. You can bet the butterflies and adrenaline was already starting.

We land, unload the plane, make sure all of our gear is on the bank, double check we have our can of camp fuel, and say adios to our pilot. First things first we have to pack all this gear and rafts to either the nearest creek leading to the river or pass up the creeks and hike it all the way to the river. We decide to use the creek and that would put us no further from where we were from the bull I spotted and within calling distance. The creek we came to was fairly short at only about a mile long. Well it took us from 11am to 7pm just to float/drag the 2 rafts with all our gear down it. Several portages from log jams and a beaver dam as well as numerous sweepers and strainers we had to get the saws out to cut so we could pass through. When we finally got out of the creek we decided we better make camp before it gets dark.

Once we get camp set up we decide to hike a half mile up the river in the direction of the bull we’d seen to rake and call hoping he would hear us and head our way so that hopefully one of us could get a crack at him in the am. While hiking we saw a ton of grizzly sign from tracks and salmon carcasses to scat. Which, looking back, we saw an incredible amount of sign on that small creek we started off on and still wonder how we didn’t run into a hungry bear. Anyways, we go through two calling sequences then head back to camp. Not but 100 yards from camp we stop because there is fresh moose tracks that had crossed ours after we headed out, with fresh bear tracks following behind. We are psyched and ready for what our first morning of hunting may bring after seeing this.

Comment

Working...
                                X