Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Following

Comment

Oh man, nice buck.. I think it's a dead deer.. I went to look for a buck i shot one time and went to look for him at brush line i thought he went in at, for an hour, came back and started looking around and found him near my blind, point is,looks can be deceiving.

Good luck, i hope you find him!!

Comment

Following and waiting for outcome. Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by warrington View Post
          I couldn’t sleep last night thinking about you all not going to look for him
          They did.3 hours,I think.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Following for some good results.

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
              From our experiences in our area. If we don't or can't find a deer with in 2 hours the coyote will be all over it. I've seen them on a deer that was alive 25 minutes after it was shot. Wild raw wide open spaces out there.
              Then you Should look for the deer at night. Don’t be scared of the dark.

Comment

They looked 3 hours last night. They have been looking since daylight. No blood no arrow no deer. One of our guys has a drone and they might try that.

We have an extremely good crop of broom weed at our place this year. It's like an ocean of 3 foot tall mini trees. This makes the search even harder. If you haven't been standing thigh deep in it you wouldn't understand it. You basically have to step on it. Also the crashing could have just been the wounded deer blowing through the dead mesquites that were sprayed 6-7 years ago. Touch them and limbs break off.

He shot a pig 20 minutes before he shot at the deer. The hog ran 20 yards and fell over dead.
                All he has is his vision of his shot so thats all we can go by. He is a very good hunter. He feels horrible about it. Only me and one other guy bow hunt. I ve been trying to get him to bow hunt and he finally did. I hope this doesn't make him stop. We have all been there. He will read all this when he gets back home.

I ve only been bow hunting for 6 years myself. I have shot a deer that ran 10 yards wabbled twice and fell over dead. I shot the same deer twice and couldn't get him on the ground. And everything in between.

Thats whats exciting about bow hunting.

I'll keep y'all updated
                Last edited by Abcdj; 09-29-2019, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Happy hunting season David! Sounds like a dead deer to me but with that broom weed as bad as it is finding him is is gonna be tough. Hope y’all recover him! Will tune back in for updates

Comment

They looked 3 hours last night. They have been looking since daylight. No blood no arrow no deer. One of our guys has a drone and they might try that.

We have an extremely good crop of broom weed at our place this year. It's like an ocean of 3 foot tall mini trees. This makes the search even harder. If you haven't been standing thigh deep in it you wouldn't understand it. You basically have to step on it. Also the crashing could have just been the wounded deer blowing through the dead mesquites that were sprayed 6-7 years ago. Touch them and limbs break off.

He shot a pig 20 minutes before he shot at the deer. The hog ran 20 yards and fell over dead.
                    All he has is his vision of his shot so thats all we can go by. He is a very good hunter. He feels horrible about it. Only me and one other guy bow hunt. I ve been trying to get him to bow hunt and he finally did. I hope this doesn't make him stop. We have all been there. He will read all this when he gets back home.

I ve only been bow hunting for 6 years myself. I have shot a deer that ran 10 yards wabbled twice and fell over dead. I shot the same deer twice and couldn't get him on the ground. And everything in between.

Thats whats exciting about bow hunting.

I'll keep y'all updated
                    No telling about the shot, high, forward
                    ...who knows. I had the same experience last year. I was certain he was dead then we looked and didnt find any blood. Then the memory comes in to play. The arrow was hanging out of his shoulder, not much penetration. I'm certain the deer I shot is alive and well after being certain he was dead inside 50 yds.
                    It's likely one of you will see that buck again. I believe that was my 4th lost deer in 35 years of bow hunting...it happend. Hopefully he will keep his chin up and get back on that horse
                    Last edited by flywise; 09-29-2019, 08:15 AM.

Comment

I would be telling a lie if I said I got every deer I ever shot with a bow, and I laugh when I hear someone brag, they've never lost a deer they shot with a bow.
                      You hunt long enough and it's going to happen.
                      Shooting a buck of that caliber as his first is going to be a tough one!
                      Hopefully he becomes more determined, and enjoys the rest of the season!
                      I'm betting the deer survived.

To make him feel better, I shot a doe several years back and watched as the doe ran directly away from me with the arrow sticking out of each side equally a little high but in the shoulder ribcage area.
                      about six weeks later I saw a doe step out in the same spot and I noticed a tuft of hair and located on her left side and saw a scar in the shape of an Y like the three blade I was using.....I thought, no, could it be?
                      As she turned while eating my corn, I noticed the same scar on the opposite side, and it was the same doe and in completely healed and in good shape body wise.
                      Deer are tough, and I've seen deer that were harvested on a bowhunting only ranch that had completely healed over broadheads inside the rib cavity from previous years wounding.
                      Last edited by Jimbo47; 09-29-2019, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Well hope you find him.

Comment

If that arrow didn’t hit anywhere in the body cavity he is still alive more then likely it was a high hit with no blood back strap hits you usually have some blood not alot but some. So it could be a high shoulder hit which definitely means that deer is still alive and that hit will probably not have any blood at all . Like I said before after the shot your not in your right mind you really don’t know what happened are what went on . All you know is you shot a hit a great buck and everything after that is just a blur of excitement.

Comment

Good Luck, I hope you find him. Sometimes you think they go one way and may end up totally opposite of where your looking.

Comment

He is going to town to get beer. After talking with him the second time. He said the arrow was sticking out the exit side at an upward angle about 12-16 inches. Entry side he could see the fletching He said he thought it was 4-5 inches below the spin. I told him if thats the case than its dead.
                              This is his first deer with a bow. He lurks here on TBH. Another guy is headed out there right now.

Who goes hunting without beer?

Comment

Man thats tough... sorry to hear.

Comment

Working...
                                X