Selling coon pelts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
    Back in the 80's coon pelts brought up to $25. That would be like $100 today. Coons were hunted and trapped hard, and road killed ones were picked up quick.
    Yup, I trapped on my parents farm in northern Oklahoma and southern Kansas. Furs are much better up there and brought pretty good money.

Comment

I've skinned many of them when I was a young one. My Grand kids would probably puke if I ask them to skin a coon in todays time.

Comment

I don't have a coon problem anymore. I put those steel shark teeth strips on the feeder legs and they don't climb them. What they eat on the ground is what the deer left them.

Comment

Originally posted by 2B4Him View Post
          I know nothing about trapping, but I've often wondered if it is ever a money-making proposition, or is it primarily something people enjoy doing as more of a hobby? I've seen other threads about prices for bobcat furs, coyote, beaver, etc., and when I think about the amount of time to scout areas, prep. and bait traps, check traps, skin animals, . . . (without even dealing with the costs of traps, etc.), it seems like a pretty hard way to earn a buck.
          Unfortunately hard to make money at it down south.
          Some of our hides bring enough cash to make it worth while though. We can make a few hundred bucks trapping bobcats and coyotes up here. Good heavy bobcats bring hundreds each and nice prime coyotes taken early season can bring up to $75.
          Prices are way down, but for some you can make money. It is time consuming and we have our trap costs spread out over a few years.

Comment

Raccoons ain't even worth foolin with no more. I remember when a big heavy boar coon would bring $35 probably 10 or 15 years ago. Now you'd be lucky to get $5 out of one and up here the fur gets pretty decent.

Comment

Those shark teeth just give the coons better traction up a protein feeder

Comment

This will give you an idea on prices..

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxfA5JUFm_4&t=241s"]2021-2022 Fur Market Outlook/Forecast - YouTube[/ame]
                Last edited by PondPopper; 11-23-2021, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Somebody needs to Make Trapping Great Again! How am I supposed to teach my kids to trap, call foxes, skin coons, and such without any payoff? Teaching teenagers things that pay off is hard enough... good luck teaching them stuff that doesn't pay.

Comment

Guys... it's the flies that draw coons. Get rid of the flies and the coons will be gone. Period.

Comment

On second thought, why not just feed them better food? Dont try to put coon guards on feeders. Barriers dont work . They are just coming to your feeder for a better life. If you catch any, please give them good medical care and a nice place to live. You can release them anywhere they want to live as long as you dont separate a kitten from its mother. Before, they walk away, make them promise to show up in court next year.

Buy more corn

Comment

Originally posted by dosrobles View Post
                        Those shark teeth just give the coons better traction up a protein feeder
                        They are a game changer for me. Not one pic of one hanging and their muddy prints ain't no where to be seen on the motor. Also, I have less coons on the ground now.

Comment

Picture, maybe I didn’t read the directions

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
                            Just let them eat and do their thing. I don’t understand the hate towards coons that everyone here has. I love to sit and watch them when I’m in the stand. Not one single time in 25+ years have they ever tore up/chewed on my feeders.
                            I am with this guy. Throw corn in the woods and all animals will come eat it, not just the almighty whitetail deer. Kill then all because they are destructive… really?

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                              Raccoons ain't even worth foolin with no more. I remember when a big heavy boar coon would bring $35 probably 10 or 15 years ago. Now you'd be lucky to get $5 out of one and up here the fur gets pretty decent.
                              I think you mean 30-35 years ago is when they would bring $35. They haven't brought more than $8 in north central Texas in the last 20 years. Time flies

Comment

Originally posted by dosrobles View Post
                                Picture, maybe I didn’t read the directions
                                okay, but it'll be a little bit before I head back.

Comment

Working...
                                X