Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selling coon pelts

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
    Just let them eat and do their thing. I don’t understand the hate towards coons that everyone here has. I love to sit and watch them when I’m in the stand. Not one single time in 25+ years have they ever tore up/chewed on my feeders.

Before I went to feeders that have no exposed wiring, I probably had to repair 2-3 a month that had wires ripped out. Not to mention how much corn and protein they will eat.

If there’s 2-3 coons at a feeder it doesn’t seem that bad, but when they get up to a dozen in pack they just seem to get really aggressive and start tearing things up.

A couple years with a case of little Debbie’s and duke traps saved a lot of money in the end.
    Last edited by kyle1974; 09-23-2019, 05:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
      And since I put minnows and goldfish in my watering hole to keep skeeters out, I now have Coons scuba diving eating all my bait fish
      Any updated pics of your watering hole ?

Comment

I haven't sold a coon in 25 years I bet but we did better selling em whole for $5! Skinned and gutted we also got $5 but the hide was only worth $2! Not worth the hassle for $2! We would sell him the coons hide and all for $5 and he would resell em for $7-10! I don't think he messed with the hides just wanted the skin on to be sure you weren't bringing him feral cats!

Comment

I shoot and trap'em as often as I can. They are raiders and those hands get them into much trouble. What I usually do with critters I kill and don't eat is leave 'em in a pile and put a cam over it. I get some really cool pics of other critters making use of the carcass. I save the ones with pelts that different. Tan them an put up on wall at camp.
          KIMG1458 by Tony Pic, on Flickr

Comment

Last edited by Backwoods101; 09-23-2019, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Has anyone tried the slinky's on the leg method? I have been wanting to try it . I have been using the cages around the spinners and it has helped quite a bit.

I have a couple of feeders near a hot wire (Gallagher charger) . I plan on running a hot wire up around the spinner at some point just to "light em up". Maybe I will get some good game cam pics . I have done it before with a battery powered and it did seem to help. But this gallagher charger will have a lot more juice.
              Last edited by wickll; 09-23-2019, 10:38 AM. Reason: edit

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
                Just let them eat and do their thing. I don’t understand the hate towards coons that everyone here has. I love to sit and watch them when I’m in the stand. Not one single time in 25+ years have they ever tore up/chewed on my feeders.
                They are hell on ground nesting bird eggs like quail and turkeys.

Comment

Come on Texansfan. With your leftwing ideology what are they hurting? Consider them welfare recipients or illegal aliens. You don't mind paying for them do you? So what's a few freeloading coons gonna hurt? Stay true to your cause. Be a good liberal and put out some more feed for them.

Comment

Originally posted by mrc View Post
                    Trappers license will cost you about 5 coons, and you need to wait until they are prime. Usually Dec., Jan. and Feb. are best. How you handle them will determine how much you get, maybe up to $10, but expect around $5 average.
                    I know nothing about trapping, but I've often wondered if it is ever a money-making proposition, or is it primarily something people enjoy doing as more of a hobby? I've seen other threads about prices for bobcat furs, coyote, beaver, etc., and when I think about the amount of time to scout areas, prep. and bait traps, check traps, skin animals, . . . (without even dealing with the costs of traps, etc.), it seems like a pretty hard way to earn a buck.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                      Come on Texansfan. With your leftwing ideology what are they hurting? Consider them welfare recipients or illegal aliens. You don't mind paying for them do you? So what's a few freeloading coons gonna hurt? Stay true to your cause. Be a good liberal and put out some more feed for them.
                      Every libturd has his limits and mine have been exceeded with these bad hombres
                      If I see their beedy little eyes one more time on my game cam...

Comment

I'm in the minority as well. The are very smart opportunistic feeders. You put food in there home and call them thieves when they come eat it...I never understood that? They get a pass from me unless I am going to eat or tan one. But I have absolutely no problem with people who want to shoot everyone they see.

Comment

Originally posted by COONHOOD View Post
                          If you feed protein (without Coonhoods) year round you can estimate each coon will cost you about $200 per year in loss protein. And that's the cheap stuff. If you feed double down or antlermax you you would be sick to know what the cost of those thieves.
                          exactly... I dont have a problem them eating whats on the ground ... but when 4 of the sit on the protein tubes and empty 1000# antlemax in a pile under the feeder.... time for some trappin.

Comment

My theory to why there are so many is the furs are nearly worthless and folks don’t coon hunt with dogs much anymore.

Comment

Raiders of the lost bark, I put dukes coon traps everytime we’re staying the night at the lease. I didn’t bother with them much til last year they tore up 3 feeders motors batteries shorted out along with timers. So it’s on now!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                                My theory to why there are so many is the furs are nearly worthless and folks don’t coon hunt with dogs much anymore.
                                Back in the 80's coon pelts brought up to $25. That would be like $100 today. Coons were hunted and trapped hard, and road killed ones were picked up quick.

Comment

Working...
                                X