No announcement yet.

School Me on AR-15 Scopes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I run a variety of scopes on ARs. To me, as mentioned before, intended use of the rifle is the guiding factor.

1-4 or 1-6 is a great starting point and will accomplish everything that a 223 is capable of. Low magnification usually results in faster follow up shots.. which is why you get red dot or low magnification recommendations.

You can go to a 3-9 or 4-12...i have one of each on ARs, but those are 6.8 and 308. Different use than my 223 that has a 1-4.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I just started using a regular old scope after I used the p223. Favorite scope was a vortex crossfire v Brite. Mainly because it was just a dot in the middle of the crosshair, having the option to turn it on helped out on black pigs at dark

Comment

Just went Thru this, for a decent LPVO I went with the Burris 1x6 has good glass and really eye box. Super easy and fast to get a sight picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

[ATTACH]973111[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]973112[/ATTACH]

Comment

I use a VX6 2-12 on my hunting AR / SBR 300bo & has the lighted reticle...power range is ideal for what I was looking for & obviously a quality scope.

If it was a combo hunting / primary defense AR then I would go with one of the true 1x variables so it can be used like a red dot & then cranked up for hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by megger89 View Post
              I believe have Nikon P223 3x32 BDC scope (at work and can't look at my scope) on my Del-Ton and I wish I had have waited on buying instead of just jumping in a buying it. I have bad eyes, so I wish I would have waited and bought the P223 3-9x40mm BDC or the 4-12x40mm. I haven't even began to sight in my AR with it. I am located in Victoria if you ever find a P223 in 3-9x40 mm BDC or the 4-12x40mm and looking to trade for something smaller.

I can look at it tomorrow and get you more details on the specifications.
              I have this...Nikon P223 3x32 BDC scope

Comment

Get an illuminated reticle 1-6 power and call it good. They really aren’t designed to be long range precision shooters anyway (not saying you can’t, but the whole point of having a semi auto is putting large numbers of bullets downrange from close to medium distances quickly relatively accurately, not shooting sub MOA).

Comment

The most versatile will be a quality 1-6 or 1-8x scope. If you get a 3x or 4x on the low end of the magnification range, you make it pretty useless for defense purposes.

This is a 300 Blackout SBR with an 8” barrel at 300 yards with a 1-6 scope. If your a competent shooter, lower magnification is not a hindrance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Defensive purposes?

I think this is exactly how scopes made for ARs and the tactical scopes sell. Sounds good.

But really, if you need a scope to defend yourself, I would worry that what you're doing would be outside the realm of 'defensive'.

Not to mention, I don't see anything about that in what the OP had in mind for the gun.

I'm good with the .45 ACP next to the bed for defensive purposes.

And of course no discussion of scopes is complete without someone saying you don't 'need' more than 6x - if you are good, usually comes after that.

I don't 'need' an AR-15. But I sure do like them. And I don't know that I 'needed' more than 12x when shooting prairie dogs out west with it. But the next time I do that, the AR scope will have something around 16-18-20x for the top end.

Comment

Originally posted by KX500 View Post
                      Defensive purposes?

I think this is exactly how scopes made for ARs and the tactical scopes sell. Sounds good.

But really, if you need a scope to defend yourself, I would worry that what you're doing would be outside the realm of 'defensive'.

Not to mention, I don't see anything about that in what the OP had in mind for the gun.

And of course no discussion of scopes is complete without someone saying you don't 'need' more than 6x - if you are good, usually comes after that.

I don't 'need' an AR-15. But I sure do like them. And I don't know that I 'needed' more than 12x when shooting prairie dogs out west with it. But the next time I do that, the AR scope will have something around 16-18-20x for the top end.
                      Typically the AR is going to be used for quick shots at a reasonably close distance—hence the LPVO. Anybody buying a rifle for prairie dogs already has a purpose in mind, and would be stupid to choose an optic not suited for the task.

Comment

I had no idea I'd ever shoot a prairie dog much less do it with an AR. Gun was perfect for it though. And as versatile as the AR is, why limit yourself?

Most of my scopes are 3-9X40 with a few 4-12X40. I've killed quite a few critters very close & Never had an 'all I see is hair' moment. I've just had no problems with a game animal at 5 yards and a scope set on 3x or 4x - which is the default setting for me.

At the other end of distance/time, I'm happy to crank a scope up as far as it will go at even 60-75 yards and certainly farther - if there is time. If it makes the animal seem that much closer and the shot that much easier, why not?

And if I find no value in having a scope with 1X, 2x or 3x, why not replace that with 10, 11 & 12X?

Granted, for most of the game I've taken, there wasn't time to crank up the scope. But when there is time, I'd be kicking myself for only having 6X, when more magnification is widely available and doesn't cost any more.

Comment

I had no idea I'd ever shoot a prairie dog much less do it with an AR. Gun was perfect for it though. And as versatile as the AR is, why limit yourself?

Most of my scopes are 3-9X40 with a few 4-12X40. I've killed quite a few critters very close & Never had an 'all I see is hair' moment. I've just had no problems with a game animal at 5 yards and a scope set on 3x or 4x - which is the default setting for me.

At the other end of distance/time, I'm happy to crank a scope up as far as it will go at even 60-75 yards and certainly farther - if there is time. If it makes the animal seem that much closer and the shot that much easier, why not?

And if I find no value in having a scope with 1X, 2x or 3x, why not replace that with 10, 11 & 12X?

Granted, for most of the game I've taken, there wasn't time to crank up the scope. But when there is time, I'd be kicking myself for only having 6X, when more magnification is widely available and doesn't cost any more.

Extra magnification doesn’t cost more?

I’ll ask all of my scope manufacturers why a 24x scope costs considerably more than my 6x scopes.

Comment

Defensive purposes?

I’ll take an AR over any anemic pistol caliber for defense if given the choice.

The obvious (to most people) of my post is show additional advantages that a LVPO offers.

I have plenty of high power scopes on rifles including ARs but they have plenty of disadvantages too.

More than 90% of my ARs wear a 1-6 or 1-8 scope and I’ve never felt I was lacking for anything from in your face to out to at least 300 yards.

Many high power shooters use fixed 10x scopes to shoot 1,000 yards.

Comment

Your search is over

Comment

"Extra magnification doesn’t cost more?

I’ll ask all of my scope manufacturers why a 24x scope costs considerably more than my 6x scopes."

I'm sure you know I was talking 3-9 or 4-12 vrs a 1-6 or 1-8. Are the lower powered scopes really any less costly than the comparable 3-9 or 4-12?

But feel free to take it out of context to support your idea.

I completely understand that scope choice is basically a personal opinion - what works best for me.

If I like one thing and another likes something else, cool. Lots of scope options out there.

I'm just not a 'less is more' kind of guy.

Never wanted less magnification using 3-9 or 4-12 but sure have wanted more.

If you shoot just as well at 300 yards with a scope set on 6x as you would one set on 12x, awesome. That would simply make you better than me, which is fine as I accepted long ago that I am World Class at pretty much nothing.

Comment

Working...
                                X