No announcement yet.

Texas Trophy Hunters Association

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess I'm in the minority here. I enjoy the magazine. I enjoy their show on the Outdoor Channel. It's just entertainment...nothing more. I used to enjoy the extravaganzas but haven't gone in several years.

The bowhuntin' starter kit cartoon was in bad taste but I personally thought it was pretty funny. I even have a cut out of it in my desk. The deer dog boom followed the bowhunting boom. EVERYbody wanted their own tracking dog.

Comment

I quit reading in the 90s for the same reasons everyone has stated. It’s not about or for the common folk.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
        Seems there might be a market for Mr. Chew to start TCHA magazine?
        He’s gone the way of the trophy hunter with TCHA.....his buck is now a semi fork on one side, probably score 24” now

Sell out

Comment

All of the above plus as a magazine, it was a visual design disaster.

Very poor layout, comical text flow, pictures without captions, shading and shadow images behind text blocks, etc. making it difficult to read.

Comment

Funny this thread comes up, me and a buddy were just talking about this subject the other night, subscribed relentless in the 90's. Once the pics of tagged deer started I was out and no longer interested, introduced genetics pen raised deer on any place just does not interest me. Now that I have moved to hunting old mexico I cant even see leasing in texas anymore. It's just a different world down there with a good chance to kill a low fence free range monster at a fraction of the cost. Big money guys have ruined deer hunting in texas. I will never pay 12k a year for a lease to kill any size deer whether I can afford it or not. It takes the fun out of it for me.

Comment

Bout 1985 I went into their TTHA store on Northwest Military to check it out. Pretty neat store. You could rent VHS tapes of hunting shows and they had some cool hunting gadgets call etc. Kinda like that store was sad to see it go. The owner (you know who) was an A hole and rude, but once you got passed that it was a pretty cool store. My favorite videos were the Eastmans Hunting Journal and of course Hunting South Texas Whitetails and year in the life of a Whitetail.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
                I agree that TTHA had a LOT to do with the promotion of the deer breeding businesses and it can be argued that these operations have hurt deer hunting in Texas. I had a meeting with the folks at TTHA and voiced the concerns that most of you have stated and here is what I learned.
                The magazine has more articles from members and wanting more, almost no ads from deer breeders and looking to go to shorter articles to hold the interest of millennials whose attention span is not very long.
                As most of you know, I am one of the staff writers. Most of my articles are of the "how to" variety as I feel that my 60 years of hunting experience might help a guy that is new to the game. I keep writing for the magazine as I want to see the TTHA survive. As many of you have stated, it was a great magazine before the scientific breeding came along.
                I feel that it is important that we continue to have the Extravaganzas, as it gives us a chance as a huge fraternity to gather and visit in advance of the hunting season. (This is the only part of TTHA that makes money). Parking has become a huge problem at the shows. I can remember when you could park at Will Rogers for free. I feel that the new management at TTHA thinks more as we do and the magazine has made huge improvements over the last couple of years.
                Thanks and Adios,
                Gary

I fear the damage is done.....

Articles by and for "regular guys?"
                Can see it now, "How to manage your 30 acres for quality 8 points."

Had to change states to find a place where the per acre lease cost made common sense. Not because I couldn't afford it, but, because of common sense. TTHA isn't the only reason TX lease prices exploded, but, it sure didn't help. The "300 acre Jurassic buck" BS makes me want to puke on my boots. (But that's a subject for another day)

Former member (played pretty substantive golf tournaments with the patch stitched to my hat).... LOVED having the sticker on my truck..... LOVED the magazine...... Receiving the magazine was like Christmas morning for me..... Travesty what the magazine/organization turned into IMOP. Two different egotistical "JJ's" damaged 2 different childhood/lifelong passions for me.
                Last edited by Slicefixer; 09-19-2019, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hog wild View Post
                  A Joke!
                  Yep!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                    It's just a published rag of an organization that has done more to harm deer hunting in Texas than any other single thing, ever! They are the reason everyone jumps on a guy for posting up a nice young buck he killed that should have "given him 3 more years", or "what a shame to shoot that deer"... Wanna know why deer leases are $12-$20/acre and up... TTHA...
                    They flat ruined deer hunting for the average guy in Texas... No different that BASS has almost made it a crime to catch a bass and fillet it... CCA's gettin' that way with trout n reds....

All these organizations had a good start and purpose, but just like trade unions, they've outlived their usefulness and gone completely overboard...
                    OK, Off my soapbox now... Y'all carry on...
                    One of my first post.on TBH ( best I remember) was just about like this one and this same topic and I almost got run right off here.

Comment

I send my support to TCHA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sotx View Post
                        this
                        Haha that’s funny and true.

Comment

OK

Originally posted by 150class View Post
                          Please report back if this happens to be correct!
                          First of all I couldn't find a magazine on the racks? I guess I don't know where to look or I live in Belton, IDK? Went to Wally, Walgreens and CVS. They didn't have one. So I called a buddy who I know has them. He gave me a July-August issue. All I had time to do last night was glance at the mag to see if there were a ton of Deerzilla adds. There was only ONE. Then I saw an article written by Gary R. on here and since I learned yesterday he was a staff writer I gave it a read and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was about coyote hunting. Thank you Gary.

The rest of the story is that the mag was 40%?(guess) ads for the TTHA extravaganza. I get it its their money maker.

Another 40%? was ads for stands, feeders, and other stuff. Most hunting related.

Then 20% (maybe I didn't actually count any of this) were stories. Most of which looked interesting. I will actually go back and read some of them.

Then if you throw in the cartoon and all the rest of the crap about the TTHA. I just think I will pass.

Comment

Anyone have a pic of the comic strip...??? I haven’t read the magazine in so long, I missed it.

Comment

When I was a kid I always looked forward to the magazine. back then it had more stories and articles. Now its very few of those and mostly advertisements. I understand advertisements pay for the magazine but its ridiculous. the magazine also used to be almost twice as thick as it is now. I have about 8 years of the magazines at home.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                                Anyone have a pic of the comic strip...??? I haven’t read the magazine in so long, I missed it.

See post 34

Comment

Working...
                                X