No announcement yet.

Hunting in the Freer Area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2004 to 2008. Loved every bit of it. Had small kids that went all over that place.

Comment

Know the BP number and your camps GPS coordinates. The BP will ask for it if you have to call them. The ones that we encountered just wanted help and something to eat/drink. They thanked us many times for calling the BP for them.

Best of luck!

Comment

I’ve Been hunting there for 28 years and love it. We’ve had a few encounters but all friendly. We leave water bottled water and some canned food outside.

Comment

Where is the place at? This will determine the amount of illegal traffic and if the hunting is any good. I’ve hunted just out of Freer for 27 years. I’ve seen illegals a few times over the years. Never had a problem with them. They come through quit often on our place because it’s a short cut from 59 to 44. Less traffic on 44 so easier to get picked up.

Comment

LThanks to all for the info. I’ll have more information after next weekend as far as location. I appreciate all the input.

Comment

Hunted SW of town 8 years ago. Loved the hunting. We had ALOT of illegals. Left water and canned stuff for them. They threw trash everywhere and one time knocked a hole in camper with a T post. Trashed the place an took a s**t on the floor. It had a bathroom. They slept in our stands, trash all in the too. All the high fence corners had ladders or stairs to get over. They would cut the fence right by ladder. They just pretty much sucked and drove me crazy.

Comment

Great area to hunt, voice your concerns with the lease manager.

Comment

Hunting in the Freer Area

Was on a place about 11 miles out off 44.
                  Smaller place.
                  Saw some deer. No older bucks or anything with much size. Had quail and tons of snakes.
                  Never saw any illegals.
                  Figured deer were shot young as many small places around there.
                  After a pipeline came thru last year owner decided not to lease anymore.
                  Edit: saw no exotics or heard of any around us

Comment

It depends alot on the area. But like most have said, they are passing through and don't want contact.
                    I definitely wouldn't leave any firearms in camp when you go home, and I'd take batteries out of vehicles if you leave them there.
                    Let us know more of the general area and someone will be able to fill you in more.

Also, the area has some good deer, but also some areas that have really been shot up.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Just got back from Freer. The ranch is approximately 6.5 miles east of 59 off FM2050. Its 2000 acre that borders a 19,000 acre ranch on the east side. The only evidence we saw that was probably from an illegal was an empty gallon water jug. There is a large tall hurricane fenced with barbed wire strands on top at the property for a camp compound. Looks secure.

Anyone familiar with deer quality in that area?

Comment

Originally posted by DEG View Post
                        Just got back from Freer. The ranch is approximately 6.5 miles east of 59 off FM2050. Its 2000 acre that borders a 19,000 acre ranch on the east side. The only evidence we saw that was probably from an illegal was an empty gallon water jug. There is a large tall hurricane fenced with barbed wire strands on top at the property for a camp compound. Looks secure.

99% of the ranches east of Freer are shot out. Did you see any sign of deer? FYI, most of the ranches around that area are hunted full time by family and poachers. Illegal activity is most likely less east of town.

Comment

We filled feeders Saturday and had deer and javelina on camera that night. Took a ride around this morning and saw several deer. The ranch is about 20 miles south east of Freer.

Comment

The deer south of the Border Patrol CP can be pretty good. Much better than the area east of Freer (59 basically runs E/W from Freer to Laredo, even though signs say otherwise).
                            As far as illegal traffic, there is probably alot of quick walk around traffic, but they are trying to move quick and not hang around.

Have fun, and good luck hunting.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Then we are south of the BP checkpoint. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by DEG View Post

Gives a new meaning to high fence hunters. Lol. Good luck.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X