Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So....why do you need a 4 wheel drive. All wheel drive. 4x2 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because I come from NW Florida.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainDave View Post

With that said, it would be nice if more manufacturers had the option for a rear locking differential. Honestly, most folks could get by with this. I used to know some old farmers that had trucks with this back in the day and would swear by it.
      My locking rear diff in my diesel isn't getting me thru anything more than it would go thru unlocked. Even dry inclines on loose gravel will halt its forward motion locked.

I would rather have a open diff 4x4 than 4x2 with a locker.

Comment

got stuck once in my first truck that was 2wd, wont buy another one. hunting lease gets fairly rough when it rains and if i can avoid getting stuck im definitely going to.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
          You never need 4 wheel drive, until you need 4 wheel drive.
          3 - 4 times a year, the NEED for a 4wd is why I pay for it.

Comment

Just about every truck I have ever had was a 4x4- but my FAVORITE truck out of all of them was my 2wd Tundra SR5 w/ TSS package. I don't hit the dirt as much as I used to, so I definitely did not miss having a 4x4. But my current truck is a Ford F150 4x4, and I have yet to use it in almost 3 years... and that includes quite a bit of hunting and fishing.

Go with what fits your needs. No one else is making your payments, so who cares what they think.

Comment

Just for resell value I will never buy a 2wd as a daily driver again. I enjoy my Z71 and having it when you need it is just a bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                That’s not really how work, works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                No ****!! Literally, for a living, me and my guys take a wooded piece of property, take all the trees and brush off of it, right down to native soil. We then either import or export dirt onto or off of the site. We install pipe from 3'-30' deep and backfill it. We final grade the site and then we eventually pour concrete on top of it....all in an area that averages 104 days of rain per year with an average annual rainfall of 50".

I can't remember the last time we didn't need 4X4.

I love it when people try to equate their 4X4 grocery getter with my man-mobile.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                  That’s not really how my work, works.

FIFY.

Ill admit that I was a little short sighted with my list. Some people do have to work in the mud, I suppose.

I’m not getting out in a muddy field and busting up a 30k draper, so there’s really no need for me to drive my pick up through it either. I try to stay on road as much as possible!

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                    No ****!! Literally, for a living, me and my guys take a wooded piece of property, take all the trees and brush off of it, right down to native soil. We then either import or export dirt onto or off of the site. We install pipe from 3'-30' deep and backfill it. We final grade the site and then we eventually pour concrete on top of it....all in an area that averages 104 days of rain per year with an average annual rainfall of 50".

I can't remember the last time we didn't need 4X4.

I love it when people try to equate their 4X4 grocery getter with my man-mobile.
                    You guys just drive them 4 wheel drive diesels to show out to your friends and "compensate".

I always laugh about that one while I watch some dork drag MY chains and strap through the mud to hook up to his truck so I can pull him out.

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
                      FIFY.

Ill admit that I was a little short sighted with my list. Some people do have to work in the mud, I suppose.

I’m not getting out in a muddy field and busting up a 30k draper, so there’s really no need for me to drive my pick up through it either. I try to stay on road as much as possible!
                      I do as well. But if we stop the trucks in the rain, then the deliveries all stack up till the rain quits...and the new orders keep coming. So as long as we have deliveries in places where the ****ing city won't fine us for getting mud in the streets...we run. And I end up pulling forklifts out of the mud, repeatedly! More than once we've left a strap hooked to the forklift as they carry brick/stone up to the house (they get better traction loaded) and I drug them back to the street 15 times in a row.

I have done things and pulled things with a 3/4 or 1 ton 4X4 pickup that most people wouldn't believe.

But I know who you're talking about.

Comment

I don’t let wet weather slow me down from what needs to be done.

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
                          I have a 4x4 and almost never use it. Once in a blue moon I’ll switch it to 4 wheel, and I bet I “need it” more often than most.

If you’re driving around in the mud all the time, I’d say you need to:

A. Fix/Re-think your road situation
                          B. Get an ATV
                          C. Do whatever it is you’re doing when it’s dry

Yeah, that would mean I was out of business. Also, I’m not necessarily using 4wd because of mud. Plowed fields, soft sand, and driving through washouts is easier in 4wd.

Comment

Because it gets nasty in my hood.... Just Ask the Fed-Ex man!

Comment

I own 55 acres and 2.5 of those acres is a 1 mile dirt road that crosses three creeks. Can’t count how many times I’ve left my place to head home when it was raining. Would have never made it home without 4x4.

Comment

Wish I would've spent the extra $30 a month the last time I bought.

Comment

Working...
                                X