African safari disaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rladner View Post
    This gets lots or forgotten by most and not properly done.

That is normal procedure and honestly, seems like most of Lammie's hunts have been that way or this wouldn't be the first time.

For me, there are 2 parts to researching. First part, asking others, preferably not provided by the outfitter

The other part is asking the right questions. Unfortunately many, especially first timers, don't know what questions to ask or even what to look for when they do get a response to their question. In every sales pitch there is something not being addressed. Finding that is the trick. What I find helpful is asking each outfitter about the others. They will all "spill" the other outfitter's secrets. After a while you will pick up 5 or 6 key questions to zoom in on and see how each one will respond.

In this case, the first thing I noticed (besides the extremely low prices) was the amount of property, or lack of. Small hunting tracts should led you to start asking about contingency plans if something happens on the property. Many properties have quotas. What happens if the animal you want has already had the quota filled? With not much property to hunt how do you handle that? Back to low prices, with prices so low, that probably means they are only good for the outfitter owned property. What happens if you go to a different concession owned by someone else? Will they honor the pricing?

Just a few little things like that which most outfitters won't tell you unless you specifically ask.

Personally, the only way I'm hunting small concessions with low prices is if I'm in Texas. If I fly halfway around the world, I'm making sure there is plenty of land to hunt for the species I'm after.
    Thanx.

Gary

Comment

one looks retarded and the other sounds retarded id avoid both

Comment

Originally posted by Bruiser View Post
        ????? As the OP I’m not sure I follow your comment

Comment

Judging from your sentence structure, you sound very smart yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
            That was supposed to be...

[emoji1369][emoji1360]

Apologies, y’all.

now that was funny!

Comment

"I will take non-sensical things drunk guys say for $1000 Alex."

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Munson View Post
                "I will take non-sensical things drunk guys say for $1000 Alex."
                That's funny right there.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by CodyWitt View Post
                  ????? As the OP I’m not sure I follow your comment

He must be in the left lane driver thread!

Comment

At first this didn’t make sense til I seen in your profile that your from Austin. Then that explained quite a bit. Saw em off 😂

Comment

Originally posted by calfroper81 View Post
                      at first this didn’t make sense til i seen in your profile that your from austin. Then that explained quite a bit. Saw em off 😂
                      😂😂😂

Comment

Originally posted by Humper View Post
                        I'd suggest going to mediation and let both men work it out with a skilled mediator. A workable resolution, agreed to by both parties, is far better than a costly legal fight with no winners but the attorneys. I'd also recommend not posting on social media since that does nothing to help resolve the situation and usually only inflames the parties and makes effective dispute resolution much more difficult.
                        As someone who handles mediations every week of my life....this one would be fun to handle, but is not likely to be cost effective.

I charge $1,500 for up to a three hour session, and in a lot of places, mediation isn’t binding, so if you reach an impasse, you’re out the money and still don’t have a resolution.

That being said....if you walk into a mediation and you’re the breaching party (like Lammie is here, from what has been posted,) you should be prepared to take a pretty good pop off of your original price...

Comment

Guys thanks for all the input. Hopefully this will help someone avoid these issues in the future. I know it has taught me a great deal.... I’ll keep everyone posted. Hopefully Lammie reads back through this thread and realizes that Im not the only one who sees fault in what was done.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                            As someone who handles mediations every week of my life....this one would be fun to handle, but is not likely to be cost effective.

I charge $1,500 for up to a three hour session, and in a lot of places, mediation isn’t binding, so if you reach an impasse, you’re out the money and still don’t have a resolution.

That being said....if you walk into a mediation and you’re the breaching party (like Lammie is here, from what has been posted,) you should be prepared to take a pretty good pop off of your original price...
                            Well not at your rate. .. I mediated back in the 90's for a non profit (volunteer with no pay) and it was very effective and low cost (I had 100% success rate on both business disputes and divorce mediation) ....I may want to get into your gig when I retire at that coin level

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                              Your point is well taken but I spoke to three different folks who hunted with Lammie last year when I was considering going. All positive to very positive feedback.

Gary
                              I hear you, and I understand exactly the point you are making... My intent was not to refer to the Lammie situation specifically , but the process of vetting any outfitter....I should have expanded a bit more to my original point.... References are an extremely valuable resource, but the info provided by any one, two, or even several references are not, and should not be enough by themselves to make a decision about selecting any particular outfitter.

Unfortunately, much of the time, the really valuable info that a reference can provide is usually not used properly by the prospective client. Every reference will tell you that they had a great time, or they obviously wouldn't be included in the reference list in the first place. The "good time" is going to be a given.... The real value in conferring with references is to verify the small details advertised by the outfitter. The first question asked of a reference should be: "Was everything delivered as promised?" The second question I would then ask is: "Was there ever a problem or a concern during your safari, and if so, how was it handled by the outfitter?" These are the types of questions that provide real value in selecting a reputable outfit... Then, you need to compare these answers among the various references contacted for consistency which is key to the likelihood of an outfitter having his $h*t together.....

The second most useful tool in vetting an outfitter are the questions that you ask of them. As rladner and others have mentioned, it can often be difficult to know what to ask especially for a first-time safari client. This is where forums like TBH and others come into play where you have a vast amount of resources from experienced clients who can collectively give you a list of all the questions that need to be asked, as well as what they themselves overlooked or would do differently the next time.

The vetting process of any prospective outfitter needs to be a combination of all available resources including references, non-solicited hunting reports, online reviews, and a detailed list of questions that needs to be posed to each outfitter you are considering.... You will be surprised to see how quickly the turds float to the top when you get down to the details..... You will quickly see the difference between those outfits providing patient, sincere, detailed answers to your questions versus quick, flippant, generic answers with little to no detail....
                              Last edited by firehunt fish; 09-06-2019, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Update??

Comment

Working...
                                X