Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Middle of north texas 3rd annual thread..second edition!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
    Then I would mix rice bran with the corn and maybe put some sweet feed on the ground around your feeder but a lot of times the deer want eat that stuff off of the ground but will eat it out of a tube feeder . And if you want more deer in your area I would really consider putting protein out that’s probably one of the best attractions there is to a buck . Especially when they are searching for food . Just remember you will benefit from it too . And maybe try to talk a couple of your lease mates into feeding it too .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    wish other guys would consider protein but they won’t. Half of them would probably laugh when I mention it. They consider themselves meat hunters and don’t care about the horns much. Which is fine cause they pay their money just like I do.

I’ve considered protein and possibly through a timed unit but I know free choice is the way to go. Maybe I’ll change my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
      Way Ta Go Skinny. That dude has a big hammer head and body to match!

Nice Hoodie

Thanks! Go Frogs!

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
        Very nice. Looks like you scrambled his brains.
        When Skinny collects on the feed bill, he don't play around.

Nice deer, Skinny

Comment

I agree with all this. Our deer are picky too. They will run over the mule if the smell apple corn. We feed protein 3 years ago and they ate us out of $. Our population of deer is uncountable being next to the Wag and our other 20000 acre neighbor. We are discussing making two big central feed stations in the middle of our place after the season with protein and corn year around.
          Dave I hear you on the protein, we were spending 8K a year on 460 acres, Finally said the heck with it. We are about fed up with our farmer and are thinking about taking the 120 acre wheat field back from him, may start planting spring crops for the deer, we would have about 170 acres in cultivation, just put a smorgasboard out there for the deer.

Comment

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
            Dave I hear you on the protein, we were spending 8K a year on 460 acres, Finally said the heck with it. We are about fed up with our farmer and are thinking about taking the 120 acre wheat field back from him, may start planting spring crops for the deer, we would have about 170 acres in cultivation, just put a smorgasboard out there for the deer.
            If yall do take it back I understand. Our Southside hasn't been plowed in 4 years. It's like concrete. They notill it but it doesn't work well. We have about 320 acres there. Our guy always has some excuse about it.
            You know like I do. If we have wheat its unbelievable. If we don't have wheat its unbelievable lol. The one time I sat on yalls big field I counted over 400 deer. I couldn't keep up. We can see the top half of it from Potatoe hill. I sat there twice this weekend and didn't see a deer on yalls field.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
              Montague County last week. Came out in the food plot about an hour before dark. I’ve seen this deer countless times over the summer in velvet at the feed pens. He broke off on his left side.

Great big buck there, Skinny. Congratulations!

Comment

Some Baylor Co Heavyweights

[ATTACH]980895[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]980896[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by Hillwhacker View Post
                  [ATTACH]980895[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]980896[/ATTACH]
                  Y'all did real good. Those are two nice bucks. Congratulations!

Comment

If yall do take it back I understand. Our Southside hasn't been plowed in 4 years. It's like concrete. They notill it but it doesn't work well. We have about 320 acres there. Our guy always has some excuse about it.
                    You know like I do. If we have wheat its unbelievable. If we don't have wheat its unbelievable lol. The one time I sat on yalls big field I counted over 400 deer. I couldn't keep up. We can see the top half of it from Potatoe hill. I sat there twice this weekend and didn't see a deer on yalls field.
                    The past few years has been bad ( or at least what we call bad ) some of it was the draught and the rest has been the farmer. Going to discuss it with Jeff, we may just start planting stuff all over the place, we have the equipment to do it, all you need is rain right ? We were spoiled to say the least for the first 15-18 years we owned the place.

Comment

I’m right up there by you guys on the S side of the Wag. We planted over 75 acres this year. With the army works early and the lack of rain until early Nov planting food plots is quite the challenge.

We did get ours in and they are starting to come up. We need heat and rain in a bad way. Hopefully we get both the rest of this week!

Comment

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
                        The past few years has been bad ( or at least what we call bad ) some of it was the draught and the rest has been the farmer. Going to discuss it with Jeff, we may just start planting stuff all over the place, we have the equipment to do it, all you need is rain right ? We were spoiled to say the least for the first 15-18 years we owned the place.
                        Well if y'all start planting we might be interested in helping y'all out or renting your equipment over at our place. We have 4 plots on the North side other than the fields on the road. We made 3 in the back of the South side with a dozier this summer. They are all about 1-2 acres. Could make more!

Comment

Originally posted by Hillwhacker View Post
                          [ATTACH]980895[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]980896[/ATTACH]
                          Very nice Hillwacker! Congrats

Comment

Nice Hillwacker, congrats!

A wise man’s heart inclines to the right, but the heart of a fool to the left.
                            Ecclesiastes 10:2

Comment

Forgot to post in our area thread. As we say at our place. We totally dumb Arsed into this one. Story in my other thread. No history with him at all. 27 7/8 inside. We were blown away!
                              Attached Files

Comment

I heard you pulled off a 300 yard running shot off hand, was you going for a Hail Mary or did you have that shot in your bag ? We are here now, almost needed a boat to get back to the house .

Comment

Working...
                                X