Africa vs Texas -Something to think about

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flywise View Post
    Wouldn't they be about par with each other by the tine the taxidermy is done with the USA getting the advantage because you can eat them?
    I'm sure the experience is worthwhile for most but personally I've never desired to go

You have to pay taxi if you shoot in Texas or SA, difference is you can do taxi in SA much cheaper if you choose. I had my Cape done in SA, they did a great job and at prices much less than US.

Comment

Originally posted by Texantax View Post
      What does the taxidermy have to do with it? That’s gonna cost the same no matter where it’s killed.
      I was wondering the same thing. Seems to me the taxidermy isn't a factor

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter Dan View Post
        You have to pay taxi if you shoot in Texas or SA, difference is you can do taxi in SA much cheaper if you choose. I had my Cape done in SA, they did a great job and at prices much less than US.

So you think based on the OP's chart that you would save $10,000 by having a taxidermist in Africa mount them and ship them to you?

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter Dan View Post
          My bad, seems I saw in the past the taxi was typically part of the package in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by breederbuck33 View Post
            I will be making this trip one day! Start adding in Kudu, sable, or animals like that and it blows it even further out of whack.
            Yup.

Sable and Kudu here are $15k each plus

$5k in Africa.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
              Maybe, but a 400 acre ranch here vs a 20,000 acre ranch there
              Or 60,000 acres

Comment

Originally posted by huntmaster View Post
                same here, and the plane trip to argentina is the reason I ain't goin on a dove shoot even tho I want to bad

I did that hunt a few years ago. I’d love to go back! Thankfully half of my trip was covered. All I had to do is lay for my shells at 55 cents a shot. Needed up killing 4700 dove in 3 days. Our group of 15 killed 62,007 birds over that 3 day period. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                  At one time, I wanted to go, paid money for a deposit, had my animals picked out. What it came down to for me, is I’d rather spend 12-15k on something else. I think it’s a fair value for what you get bit it’s not cheap or affordable by any stretch of the imagination. And on it being a hard hunt, guys going over there shooting 8-12 animals in 7 days it can’t be too tough hunting.
                  That's due to the sheer number of animals, but that being said, you may not come back with the animals you intended to hunt. I shot 7 animals on my 10 day safari this last trip. 2 of them were not on my list. 2 of the ones on my list are still wandering around Africa somewhere, free from me. I never got an opportunity on them. Imagine hunting whitetail here, but 10 other species walked by. That doesn't make whitetail hunting any easier. Just means you have plenty of other choices. That's what is great about Africa and makes it so addicting. You never know what will show up. May be on your list, maybe not, but the affordability of it and all the options means you will likely be successful on something. But, you will also likely be disappointed on something as well. I've been 4 times and never have I completed my list. There has always been something on that list that has avoided me and that animal becomes the #1 animal on my list when I go back.

Comment

Hunting African Species in Texas and African Species in Africa isn't close to being comparable.

The plane ride sucks, no two ways about that....but its just a day of travel. Business class makes it like sitting in recliner for 22 hours....not the end of the world

Africa is amazing. Due to my career field I get to see the best of the best of Texas ranches and hunting African game here isn't anywhere close to hunting them in Africa.

The meat aspect is of little consequence to me....its getting eaten and me going on a hunting expedition doesent hinge on being able to bring back the meat.

No question its a better value....you can shoot 5 animals for the price of a decent texas whitetail.

Its not an easy hunt....it took me 4 days to get a gemsbok and my wife 6 days to get a zebra. We had two days where we didn't kill anything.

if you want a hard hunt there is always mountain goat or dall sheep.

in the end, either you want to do it or you don't. if not that's ok...more for those of us that want to
                    Last edited by txtrophy85; 08-26-2019, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Azzy View Post
                      Yup.

Sable and Kudu here are $15k each plus

$5k in Africa.
                      Kudu can be quite a bit cheaper than that....ours were $3250.

The sable lists anywhere between $6500-$8500.

Finding a place in Texas to kill both you are gonna spend Beaucoup dollars

Comment

My son and I just got back from our second trip, and we will go again. Africa is awesome, everything from the country, the food, the people not to mention the hunting. As for value, I have not come across anything that compares, but it all boils down to what you like, I have friends that hunt elk in Arizona and spend way more than I will in Africa, they shoot one elk, I shoot 5-7 plains game animals. We have shot 9 different animals each and 20 animals total combined on the two trips, all with a bow and I am still short a southern greater kudu, which has been on the list since my first trip. The plane ride is tough, you have to make a plan for it and fight through it. In no way is the trip not worth the plane ride, its 16 hrs from Atlanta to Joberg. I just got home and I am already planning my trip for 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
                          Kudu can be quite a bit cheaper than that....ours were $3250.

The sable lists anywhere between $6500-$8500.

Finding a place in Texas to kill both you are gonna spend Beaucoup dollars
                          Prices are falling on a lot of animals, where we hunted, Sable were 4k, good 44-45" Sable, and Cape Kudu were 1200.

Comment

I had this same conversation with a buddy when I got back. Wife and I hunted for six days, treated like royalty, and shot 11 animals. Total for everything was right at 15k(that’s not taxidermy). Anyway we did a price comparison on different ranches in Texas and it would be around 75k for what I shot. Plus the experience of Africa is something I will never forget. Can’t wait to go back!!

Comment

Originally posted by redfishted View Post
                              Prices are falling on a lot of animals, where we hunted, Sable were 4k, good 44-45" Sable, and Cape Kudu were 1200.
                              What outfit did you hunt with?

we hunted in Limpopo....I will say the Sable prices are coming down.

And i'm not familiar with the Cape Kudu.....We hunted the Southern Greater Kudu.

But yes, a Sable certainly is more within reach than a few years ago

Comment

Africa hands down, I’ve been twice in four year and will go back many more time god willing.

Comment

Working...
                                X