No announcement yet.

Oilfield guys... y’all hangin in there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have very little, if anything, to do with drilling or actual production. I'm on the construction and decommissioning side of the oil field and deal with offshore 99.9% of the time.
    Got laid off in the beginning of 2018 from a nice office based management position. I had made it through 4 rounds of lay offs over almost 2 years. Had to start over at the bottom of the ladder in the field and work my way back up, mid 2018 to Aug of 2019 I had plenty of work, joined a new company in Aug 2019 and was finally getting back on top.

Then Covid killed everything starting in March of this year.
    We are just now getting back to work with somewhat steady projects. I'm on a dive boat right now and may have some derrick barge work in a few weeks.
    Its slowly coming back around, I'll be honest the hurricanes help my business. We are currently doing underwater inspection on a platform that was in the path of hurricane Hanna in July.

I hope drilling picks up again soon and that we keep picking up too.

Comment

In the last 3 months rig count has jumped up 25%(256 to 320). WTI is @ 45.53 and has stayed over 40 for a while now. Where do any of you guy in the know see this train headed in the short term or long term. Inbound at my old company is up from what it was 3-4 months ago and everyone is back to working 40 hrs. per week for now. Even hearing rumors about a few people getting called back. From what I`m hearing there is a lot of Iron getting rebuilt right now also.

Comment

Originally posted by tpack View Post
        In the last 3 months rig count has jumped up 25%(256 to 320). WTI is @ 45.53 and has stayed over 40 for a while now. Where do any of you guy in the know see this train headed in the short term or long term. Inbound at my old company is up from what it was 3-4 months ago and everyone is back to working 40 hrs. per week for now. Even hearing rumors about a few people getting called back. From what I`m hearing there is a lot of Iron getting rebuilt right now also.
        I'm seeing the same thing. Lots of completions crews are headed back right now as well, and seeing oil have a small rally to the mid forties is enough to get the phones ringing a lot over the past two weeks. We are still hiring technicians. Cautiously optimistic, but I think there's a chance we could see $50 in Q1.

Comment

Man I sure hope this rally continues +15 rigs this week. I've had some good phone conversations and I'm hoping I can get on to something in the next couple of weeks.

God Bless us all.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Same cycle. Completion crews increase, supply increases. When supply increases, prices go back down and the layoffs start all over again. “If” biden steps in the oval office after January 21st, I’d be searching for another gig as soon as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by RLB View Post
              Same cycle. Completion crews increase, supply increases. When supply increases, prices go back down and the layoffs start all over again. “If” biden steps in the oval office after January 21st, I’d be searching for another gig as soon as possible.

This is along my thoughts, with limited air travel, no cruises and people working from home we aren’t burning enough fuel to justify a come back yet.

I’m hoping for Q3.....

Comment

I am so thankful for my career change this year. 11 years of mostly ups but awful downs in the oilfield I think I am much better where I am now. That is even after a 50% pay cut getting into a new industry. In 4 years I’ll be making what I was plus 401k and pension. Prayers up for everyone still hanging in there including my dad. I wish nothing but the best for all of you guys and hope oil gets back into the $60+ range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Unfortunately, I agree.

Comment

Had our best tool hand receive a call today that they want him back in West Texas as a consultant on drill outs.

Of course we told him to go make some money, we always have a spot for him on his days off!

Comment

Pipeline project suppose to start last Monday. Put off to February.

Comment

Wish me luck. I have an interview tomorrow for a new position as an account manager. Company seems great. After being let go in March from O&G looking for this change.

Comment

I was consulting on the Completions side up in the Northeast. I got laid off in mid March. Came home then the china virus hit. I was a meat cutter previous to going in the oilfield. I just went back to my roots. I went to Fischer's in Muenster one day and got hired on. In August I got my well control back in date. A friend posted a picture of him working out in Midland. I asked if he knew of anything. He said they were bringing on another crew and would let me know. I just kinda blew it off. Well 1 day I got a text that we were starting up in October. It was a total blessing in disguise. The good lord was looking out for us. I still occasionally go back to Fischer's to help out on my day's off. Such a blessing to be back out here. I just pray with the new administration it keeps up.

Comment

I do not know what lies ahead for the oilfield, I just do not have a good feeling about any long term work. I sure hope I am wrong. I know folks that are getting called back to work at a much lower wage than before, less benefits and such.

I do not think Biden will shut it down, I honestly think the goober will strike a deal with OPEC and flood the market with cheap oil. Thus eliminating frac and the pipe lines the progressives hate so bad.

Comment

where I work in Odessa has rehired 70% of our layoffs and still short handed. they have even been cancelling vacations to keep up.

Comment

I personally don't think Biden will affect the oil field much. The politicians have their hands too deep in it. Maybe thats wishful thinking.

Luckily, Im still working and havnt missed a check.

Comment

Working...
                                X