Oilfield guys... y’all hangin in there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
    I dont know yet. It has been 3 days, but I know it will go down probably around $100-$150 per month if prices stay where they are today. But now I dont have to drive my Honda Civic everyday, 106 miles round trip. My wife drives 85 miles round trip, everyday. I do know that it will decrease and I can spend that money elsewhere.

I am not sure if this is sarcasm or not, but if it is not, this is one of the reason people have disdain for oilfield workers. Who the hell are you to question me and act like the difference, regardless of how much it is is not significant to me and my family? $2 or $100. It affects me positively.
    I can tell you one thing for sure that road goes two ways and you were the first to go down it and dont ever cuss me like that again.

Comment

Interesting angle this thread took today after a long time of just normal talk amongst regular folks looking out for each other....

Noted on the direction changer...

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
        Yep. People really don’t understand we don’t want it crazy either. We have the same expenses they do. I drive 280 miles round trip daily to my office. Like anybody else with a commute that’s my decision to live and work where I do but I do have that added fuel and vehicle maintenance cost.
        and the other thing people don't seem to understand is that when times are good, it's not like we're making a million dollars a year.

our salaries during boom times aren't that much more than most professional, skilled fields.

Comment

I truly hope this situation does not last long. Huge swings in any industry are rarely good. When the early reports came out that this was about SA trying to hurt Russia, I called BS. The target of this mess is US fracking and energy independence. Lots of people like to post that we can tell the Middle East to pound sand because we don't need them. If this keeps up, that will all change. We will once again be neck deep in their crazy.

And for those who seem to be relishing the lower gas prices, I suggest you take those savings and set them aside to purchase a small, fuel efficient car and get rid of your trucks and SUVs now before their value tanks. OPEC's goal is not to give you cheap gas. It is to make it as expensive as they can with no competition.

***And to keep it relevant, my oldest son is 2 years removed from college with a petroleum engineering degree. We should want everyone we know and love to be able to keep a secure job.
          Last edited by Rush2Judge; 03-11-2020, 12:21 PM.

Comment

And this isn’t a banner blasted at the top forcing you to see it. You intentionally opened an oil thread to be a *****. Quite a few people here from all walks of life express how it sucks when they get laid off. Believe it or not someone’s gotta do these jobs too.

Also if those gas prices you listed are exorbitant I feel for you because you have bigger issues than the price of fuel unless you haul for a living.
            Actually, I got on this thread to read and waste time today. Didnt intentionally get on to be a *****. It did bother me that oil field workers were talking down to non-oilfield workers. I am glad that $3 per gallon gas does not affect you. Sounds like you are doing pretty good for yourself. Driving 280 miles round trip to a job at $3 per gallon (if you are getting 35 mpg) costs you $24 per day in gas. Same drive at $1.95 per gallon costs you $15.60. That is a savings of $8.40 per day, $252 per month. If that does not affect you, then you are doing really well for yourself. $3 per gallon is exorbitant.

I apologize that you feel like I was attacking you personally.

Yep. People really don’t understand we don’t want it crazy either. We have the same expenses they do. I drive 280 miles round trip daily to my office. Like anybody else with a commute that’s my decision to live and work where I do but I do have that added fuel and vehicle maintenance cost.
            Do you pay for the gas, out of your own pocket, for your 280 mile round trip or is that paid for by your company? Honest question.

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            Interesting angle this thread took today after a long time of just normal talk amongst regular folks looking out for each other....

There he is folks. Good to hear from you again. I just want to make it known that I think you are an outstanding citizen and I was wrong about you.

I do hope things turn around for those that are in a tough situation. It sucks when anyone gets laid off. I also apologize for the fact that low gas prices affect my family in a positive way. I will say, that if you want to get out of oil and gas, there is a huge teacher shortage. We can always use hard working, knowledgeable people in our schools. And one good thing about that is, there is job security. You dont really have to worry about the price per barrel. Now, teaching does not pay what you oil field guys are making, but is a constant salary. And you get to help influence the future of our society and be a role model. That in and of itself is enough for me. To have a positive impact on so many young adults. Just one of the many reasons I love teaching/coaching. Just a thought.
            Last edited by COACH_EM_UP; 03-11-2020, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post

Yessir Jason, seems that just about every thread is a lure of some kind to folks that feel the need to just hurt and demean people... don't matter the group or subject anymore... This thread breaks my heart...

I've been in the oilfield equpment supply and service business over 40 years. I've had some good years and some bad years. I've busted my arse to get what I have and I have planned well and my little company has provided a good living for me n my family and the employees I have left. Ain't none of us ever gotten rich off it, and in fact I'd estimate we are probably below average for our education and skill sets, but we like what we are doing. To have someone come on here and try to make me into some kind of greedy lowlife hurts deeply, but that's the way of the world today. I usually just shrug it off and count it as ignorance of the facts, but I believe now it's more than that. People genuinely like to see others suffer. They want to hurt people and it makes them feel good to jump on someone...
              I've 'bout had enough... not sure what I'll do. It is not my normal nature just to roll over and take it tho...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                Yessir Jason, seems that just about every thread is a lure of some kind to folks that feel the need to just hurt and demean people... don't matter the group or subject anymore... This thread breaks my heart...

I've been in the oilfield equpment supply and service business over 40 years. I've had some good years and some bad years. I've busted my arse to get what I have and I have planned well and my little company has provided a good living for me n my family and the employees I have left. Ain't none of us ever gotten rich off it, and in fact I'd estimate we are probably below average for our education and skill sets, but we like what we are doing. To have someone come on here and try to make me into some kind of greedy lowlife hurts deeply, but that's the way of the world today. I usually just shrug it off and count it as ignorance of the facts, but I believe now it's more than that. People genuinely like to see others suffer. They want to hurt people and it makes them feel good to jump on someone...
                I've 'bout had enough... not sure what I'll do. It is not my normal nature just to roll over and take it tho...
                Very well said....

Comment

Stop where you are and turn 360 degrees.

Everything in your line of sight is made out of petroleum products, is made using petroleum products, is transported with petroleum products.

Our lives are totally dependent on oil and this commodity deserves our respect. It is much much more than a product you put in your gas tank.

Comment

Originally posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
                    Actually, I got on this thread to read and waste time today. Didnt intentionally get on to be a *****. It did bother me that oil field workers were talking down to non-oilfield workers. I am glad that $3 per gallon gas does not affect you. Sounds like you are doing pretty good for yourself. Driving 280 miles round trip to a job at $3 per gallon (if you are getting 35 mpg) costs you $24 per day in gas. Same drive at $1.95 per gallon costs you $15.60. That is a savings of $8.40 per day, $252 per month. If that does not affect you, then you are doing really well for yourself. $3 per gallon is exorbitant.

I apologize that you feel like I was attacking you personally.

Do you pay for the gas, out of your own pocket, for your 280 mile round trip or is that paid for by your company? Honest question.

There he is folks. Good to hear from you again. I just want to make it known that I think you are an outstanding citizen and I was wrong about you.

I do hope things turn around for those that are in a tough situation. It sucks when anyone gets laid off. I also apologize for the fact that low gas prices affect my family in a positive way. I will say, that if you want to get out of oil and gas, there is a huge teacher shortage. We can always use hard working, knowledgeable people in our schools. And one good thing about that is, there is job security. You dont really have to worry about the price per barrel. Now, teaching does not pay what you oil field guys are making, but is a constant salary. And you get to help influence the future of our society and be a role model. That in and of itself is enough for me. To have a positive impact on so many young adults. Just one of the many reasons I love teaching/coaching. Just a thought.
                    That savings will affect me “positively” but I will lose more than that savings with a paycut and especially if there is a lay-off. Home to office I pay fuel, in field for work my fuel is covered, and all maintenance is on me. I feel for those who are first in line in trouble times as I was there at one time also. It’s rough and a majority of guys out here are humble hard working folks. Everyone isn’t making piles of cash and bragging to peoples faces though they exist in any good paying environment.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post

Yes sir, almost every long thread has some one that comes along and starts stuff sometimes it comes by accident and others are intentional. I have had quite a few bloody noses in my lifetime and I don’t mind getting another, reckon it’s how many you can take . I been peddling in the oilfield a long time and I hate to hear about layoffs or cutbacks cause it’s hard on a lot of families and good folks.

Comment

Gas at the pumps has dropped a whole 10 cents a gallon here. What a huge savings at the pump! Saved a whole $2.60 today on gas!! If not having that small savings in fuel prices will break you, you need a more fuel efficient vehicle. I haven’t paid higher than $2.30 in months, gas prices weren’t bad at all before this and haven’t been for a while.

Sorry for all you oilfield guys. I hope it works out, I can’t imagine not knowing if you’ll have a job tomorrow.

Comment

Learn a different trade, that’s what the experts (government) told us 20 years ago

Comment

Originally posted by KyleW View Post
                            Gas at the pumps has dropped a whole 10 cents a gallon here. What a huge savings at the pump! Saved a whole $2.60 today on gas!! If not having that small savings in fuel prices will break you, you need a more fuel efficient vehicle. I haven’t paid higher than $2.30 in months, gas prices weren’t bad at all before this and haven’t been for a while.

Sorry for all you oilfield guys. I hope it works out, I can’t imagine not knowing if you’ll have a job tomorrow.
                            You do realize there is a delay in price changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
                              You do realize there is a delay in price changes.
                              Only when the price goes down. It goes up overnight.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                                Only when the price goes down. It goes up overnight.
                                Now I'll agree with that.

Comment

Working...
                                X