Tips when buying a used 4 wheeler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
    Why do ya'll feel the need for 4WD ? serious question.
    In addition to the mud issue, 4x4 is nice going up rocks and such, so you don’t tear up tires

Comment

Power is overrated. For hauling a few bags of corn and tooling around, even as low as a 300cc would be ok. You can't go wrong with any major brand (i.e. Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Zuke, etc.). Stay away from the knock-offs at TSC and the like. The closer to stock the better. Lifts, larger tires, snorkel rigs, all potential negatives.

Low hours is good, but you don't want one that was parked and left for a while either. The best used ATV's are typically owned by older people that use them periodically, but more for checking on cattle, etc. In other words, they fire them up and ride periodically, but overall light on the work side of it.

4X4 is not necessarily a requirement. However, I'd get it considering so many of them have it anyways.

IRS will provide a much smoother ride and if riding is what you primarily plan to do, I'd definitely get one with it. Solid rear end will beat your back to death.

Oh and you should be able to get a pretty good deal. UTV's have practically taken over the market in popularity. Obviously, 4 wheelers still serve a purpose and don't require a trailer to transport.
      Last edited by CaptainDave; 08-19-2019, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Several years ago bought two Yamaha's here from the classifieds, 2004 and 2009 Kodiak and Grizzly, both 450's. Those machines have been insanely reliable and left at fish camp on the island ever since. Rust will eventually get them, but they've never failed to start and run well and I've never felt a need for more power from the 450's, both will do 44-45 mph when conditions allow. Down there we definitely need the 4wd to keep from digging in the soft sand and it's also been reliable. I would recommend to stay with the big reliable brands and don't be tempted by the cheap junk out there.

Comment

Still on this 1985 Honda 250 fourtrax 2WD myself. Just keeps on chuggin'. It's done all I've needed...but I don't have soupy sandy slimy mud either. When it's super muddy, I either ain't out there or I just ease over in to the grass. 4WD is just like on a pickup.....best thing ever when you need it! Pullin' trees and stuff around when cuttin' wood it would be nice too so the machine maybe wouldn't have to work as hard. Fewer electronics the better in my book...one less thing to potentially go wrong. Keep saying Imona get a Rancher or something a little bigger but this one keeps on truckin!

Comment

Saw something interesting the other day called a Rambo E bike with a carrier trailer for hauling deer or pigs. Some Colorado guides are using them instead of horses. Watched several videos on these things and some are half the price of an atv. Might warrant looking into. My son has one ordered. I will check it out. The more I see of it the more sense these things make. They are silent and odorless and you can leave them beside the stand. We will see.

Comment

Working...
            X