Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Riding mower brand - What's your preference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TMC50 View Post
    The 30+ mower I just sold would say otherwise. It has a B&S motor on it and I know that the fluids have not been changed in 8+ years and she still cranks up and runs like a charm.
    I was just relaying the info from a guy that uses them a lot more and matter of fact he want even work on a B&S.

Comment

Husqvarna!

Comment

I had a toro for 15 years and sold it t a guy still using it....I think any of the brands are fine for residential use, just get what you like. commercial might be a different story. I would get a zero turn I went from a regular rider to a used zero turn, I love it!! I see good quality used ones for half the price of new ones!!

Comment

Transmission didn't last long on my husqvarna, ariens kohler motor conked out on me. Now running cub cadet

Comment

Originally posted by cajuntec View Post
            What color are “real” JD mowers supposed to have? My father buys his from the JD dealer (same place he buys his farm tractors), and his has a yellow deck. The E100 I was looking at is the same price as the one at the dealer, but Lowe’s gives a military discount. I don’t think the JD dealer does.
            All the best,
            Glenn
            Green deck is heavier gauge metal, I believe they are only available from a dealer. I have a z540m JD, its nice. What ever you buy make sure it has a Kawasaki engine and not Briggs

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
              I was just relaying the info from a guy that uses them a lot more and matter of fact he want even work on a B&S.
              No I know I wasn't directing that in a hateful way. I just know I have had several mowers that were like that. Shoot as long as I can get a mower to last 10+ years, I feel as I get my worth out of it.

Comment

We picked up a JD 130 early this year and have been very impressed with it!! It has done way more than expected and great turning radius for a rider.

Comment

So, I’d like to chime in on the JD and B&S issues.

If you’re looking at a Deere tractor, you won’t get a lawn tractor with a green deck. Go by specs and not color. The green decks come on commercial grade zero turns and small utility tractors.

Briggs made a great engine back in the day and they still do. Briggs gets a bad rep because they make tons of engines for budget mowers. The Briggs cyclonic is a great engine according to many.

Briggs makes a vanguard engine that I would take over the Kawasaki fx series. The vanguard is a bad b.

I was looking at getting a high end commercial grade zero turn for a few months before I settled on the x370 tractor. I found that the vanguard was cheaper and considered the superior power train by many professional landscapers.

The Kawasaki has the stranglehold on the smaller small engine market.

Comment

Originally posted by cajuntec View Post
                    What color are “real” JD mowers supposed to have? My father buys his from the JD dealer (same place he buys his farm tractors), and his has a yellow deck. The E100 I was looking at is the same price as the one at the dealer, but Lowe’s gives a military discount. I don’t think the JD dealer does.
                    All the best,
                    Glenn

Glenn,
                    The yellow decks are lighter grade and more or less stamped out of light sheet metal. Also many do not have grease fittings for the spindles. If you have a JD dealer near by, go take a look at both. They will have both. The green decks are on the commercial mowers and are hell for stout. Of course you get what you pay for too... or I guess I should say you pay for what you get. Given a choice between a good used commercial JD ZTR and a new consumer model, I'd buy the used one... Every part is essentially replaceable.

Comment

Thank you all for the responses. I appreciate all the suggestions.
                      All the best,
                      Glenn

Comment

Working...
                      X