Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aggie PhD View Post
    Serious question.
    Say you shoot a big deer. A lot bigger than has been shot on you lease in decades. Legal harvest. And you put it out on social media

Has anyone had their lease rate go up by the landowner? Or have you had problems with people finding out where you hunt, and then trying to lease land out from under you by going to the landowner and offering them way more money?

The group has changed over the years, but essentially it has been leased by the same "group" for 30+ years
    Not exactly. My group had a lease near Eden for over 15 years and managed it really well...to the point there were getting to be some really decent P&Y class bucks on the place. LO got wind of the quality of deer they now had and thanked us by pricing us off the place.

Comment

Easy fix. Shoot it on someone else's lease and then post it. LOL Just kiddin.

Comment

Somewhat related... A buddy I bird hunt with in OK had an absolute monster on his camera 200+". His neighbor doesn't hunt, but ''leased" the "land" to a tv show shortly after neighbor saw the buck. TV show killed it and I sadly watched the episode.. heartbroken for my buddy who's a lifelong bowhunter. Im sure this happens all the time
        Last edited by taylormade820; 08-06-2019, 11:55 AM.

Comment

"Loose lips, sink ships"! Or in a bowhunter's case, he looses his lease.

Comment

Yes.

Comment

The GWs are notorious for spreading too much info. Abnormally big deer gets killed. People get jealous and stick their nose in your business. The GW has to "investigate". Next thing, the whole county knows every detail.

Comment

Not because of deer pictures but we did get a call from the guy we leased from a few years back. Said a police officer called him saying something like (can't remember the exact story) people were complaining we were tearing up the area around the lease and we left a stuck 4 wheeler inside the gate. Also, if he planned to kick us off the lease he was interested in taking it over.

We leased the whole property, hadn't owned a 4 wheeler in 20 years, and never saw where one was stuck on the property. So he was either making up a story to get a lease or was mistaken.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
                  Loose lips sink ships!
                  Originally posted by Grayson View Post
                  Yep. Local Game Warden.
                  I highly suspect the same thing happened us back in 2009 out in Crockett county. We’d been on the lease for a dozen years or so, and had managed it where our top end bucks were 140-150, not giants, but dang good for low fence in Crockett county. Long story short, there was a new game warden for that area, and he visited us several times throughout the season. Always asking what type of deer we had been seeing and killing and so on. I kinda cringed a little when the guys would tell him, but I wasn’t in charge of the lease, so I kept my mouth shut. Sure enough, we lost the lease that spring when someone offered more money. Then six months later I was looking for leases out in that area and see the game wardens name pop up as a lease broker for that area. I don’t remember his full name, but his first name was Mark.

Comment

I have a good one for ya, Ive been hunting at my BEST FRIENDS PLACE for about 7-8 years....and I would kill nothing special really, but I always watched over the place, cleaned the cabin, water the horses, mowed around the entrance areas and always took care of the place....
                    I never really killed anything special there, just decent typical 100-110'' 4-5 year old bucks, well two years ago I killed something that looked like he came out of a high fence, it scored 143 with more to spare if a certain tine didn't break off....I was shocked,i posted it on social media, I sent it to the land owner which is my buddies dad and he didn't reply back at all...it was on the last day of the season also, complete hail Mary that was completed lol...
                    about a month later I get a text from my buddy and his dad saying no hunting is allowed out this year, I ask why and really didn't get an answer

then last year around deer season, me and my buddy go out there to shoot skeet and watch football, I see at least 4-5 tower stands and one box blind, at least 15 thousand dollars worth of stands and blinds, and come to find out my buddies dad is leasing it out for the season....

Comment

It does happen. Second year my dad killed a 160” off one place the game warden was calling the forester and checking in on us, etc. etc... luckily the forester and I are tight. He didn’t tell me who but he turned down multiple people trying to outbid us. Luckily he told them no chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post
                        It does happen. Second year my dad killed a 160” off one place the game warden was calling the forester and checking in on us, etc. etc... luckily the forester and I are tight. He didn’t tell me who but he turned down multiple people trying to outbid us. Luckily he told them no chance.

I wonder if the timber co/land owner appreciated the forester turning down more money as much as you did...........

Comment

Thanks for the input guys! I was wondering if we were being paranoid.

I guess if I end up shooting it, I will have to get someone else to pose with it and upload it

Maybe I can get Solocam_aggie to say he shot it in Bastrop

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbs View Post
                            I wonder if the timber co/land owner appreciated the forester turning down more money as much as you did...........

The owners were local, we know them as well and lease multiple of their places. They want to get their tax money and that’s it.

Comment

I had the opportunity to hunt one of Texas' largest landowners ranch a few years ago. Huge deer with droptines and a cool nickname started showing promise, and everyone got a little goofy. Of course he would hit 2 feeders in his home range, one was on my buddies lease, and the other was on the other lease, low fence. One of the guys on the other lease posted a video of the very easy to recognize deer on social media, and I saw it, and sent it to my friend. He was kicked off the lease, and the deer was shot in bow season the next year. Yes, I have no doubt it will be on the cover of a hunting magazine soon.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
                                Loose lips sink ships!

If someone asks you a question that is none of his business, it is not a sin to tell a lie.

Comment

Working...
                                X