No announcement yet.

Is Ethanol Free Worth The Hassle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our local Walmart carries E Free. Granted it is only 87 Octane, but I will take lower octane and not remove and clean carbs once or twice a year.

Comment

A hassle is having to rebuild a dang carb because of that crap

Comment

There is no perfect answer here. Every carb is a little different. A couple of thoughts. That motor does not use much gas, thus your extra money spent on e-free gas is not much - maybe fill two six gallon tanks when you go.

I'd use a general rule of thumb. Regular gas is probably OK to let sit for six months. Add some Star tron and run carbs dry after EVERY use. If storing for the whole winter, it is recommended to remove the carb and FULLY drain it (running the carb dry will still leave some gas in it).

For most outboards, the enemy tends to be the water in the fuel since so many of the new tanks are not vented, thus condensation forms in the tanks. get an old vented tank or keep your tank FULL (or can add a water separator).

here is a good simple one page article the Ethanol issue:

BoatUS Magazine, the largest boating magazine in the US, provides boating skills, DIY maintenance, safety and news from top experts.
        Last edited by TeamAmerica; 08-02-2019, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Yes, in everything but the truck.

Comment

I’ve seen much better results with e-free gas on everything from boat motors, to mowers, to side by sides. Yes it’s worth the hassle for me.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

My mechanic told me it's a waste of money if you run your equipment often. Now letting it sit I'll use Stabil.

Comment

If it will set over a month with fuel in it yes. IF you are going to the lake and know you are going thru the fuel not really.

Comment

I run it because it is recommended from the factory for my UTV and does seem to make a difference. Out here in the West, all of our ethanol free gas is 91 octane.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                    My mechanic told me it's a waste of money if you run your equipment often. Now letting it sit I'll use Stabil.
                    Ever think he might want more of your business? That's kind of like the old barber trick when the cut your hair a little long so you'll need to come back sooner.

Comment

from my experience its well worth the premium price I pay for the Non E gas... one example, power washing sits for over a year, and after priming and two pulls starts right up... if it had been that nasty arse ethanol tainted gas.. never would have started.. but in the end . I think it comes down to personal preference

Comment

Originally posted by timberking View Post
                        Yes, in everything but the truck.
                        I even use in my farm truck, and its a 2006 chevy 4x4.. dang sure ain't gonna hurt it.. isnce it sits for long spells

Comment

Hey bud! If your in Meridian, we have no-E gas over here in Clifton! Myatt Fuels has a pump set up at their bulk fuel location. Hollar if you need more info.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                            Ever think he might want more of your business? That's kind of like the old barber trick when the cut your hair a little long so you'll need to come back sooner.
                            He doesn't need my business

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Smokeater View Post
                              Hey bud! If your in Meridian, we have no-E gas over here in Clifton! Myatt Fuels has a pump set up at their bulk fuel location. Hollar if you need more info.

Really?? I am in Meridian. Myatt didn’t show up on the pure gas website. Do you know what octane?

Comment

Stabil Marine will prevent issues. Been running it in my boats and equipment since they started putting corn into gasoline and have not had one issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X