Terrible day to be working cattle in the heat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
    It’s impressive how they can do it with just one swing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You weren’t joking, that is very impressive

Comment

I have a really dumb question for you and I run a cow calf operation. Wht do you wait till August to work the cattle. I get all mine done by early June and then cruise till Mid September except for the occasional sick calf are cow? I'm talking about yearly shots and fly control. No big deal. Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
        I have a really dumb question for you and I run a cow calf operation. Wht do you wait till August to work the cattle. I get all mine done by early June and then cruise till Mid September except for the occasional sick calf are cow? I'm talking about yearly shots and fly control. No big deal. Just curious.
        It’s because of the amount of cattle spread out across a very wide area. And because we farm too. We’re working in Texas and Oklahoma at the same time and are spread thin. This will be continuing on through October. I don’t approve of how the cattle operation is run but the millions of dollars worth of cattle are owned by someone else. They have us doing certain things that I would definitely do differently if I was paying the bills. I had to learn to just accept it and get er done.
        Last edited by Worksalot; 08-26-2019, 06:52 PM.

Comment

I’ve never heard of any large cow operation working/stressing cattle this time of the year. How many head are you talking? 500? 5,000?

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
            It’s impressive how they can do it with just one swing.

That horse loop, (hoolihan) is to keep from spooking the horse herd. Not as hard to throw as you would think. The hard part is figuring which way the horse is going to duck. Where I grew up two people(always the same two) roped horses out of the herd each morning.

You called the name of the horse you wanted to ride that day and they caught him. About 200 horses in the herd and they knew the name of each one.

Comment

Originally posted by Worksalot View Post
              It’s because of the amount of cattle spread out across a very wide area. And because we farm too. We’re working in Texas and Oklahoma at the same time and are spread thin. This will be continuing on through October. I don’t approve of how the cattle operation is run but the millions of dollars worth of cattle are owned by someone else. They have us doing certain things that I would definitely do differently if I was paying the bills. I had to learn to just accept it and get er done.
              If you'd shoot some of 'em while they are in the pens you wouldn't have soooo many to work.

Comment

No doubt he is a cowboy but was I the only one that had a hard time finishing one of his videos? Ole son is stuck in my head from now on. About like “hand” here at home.

Comment

Originally posted by CLR View Post
                  No doubt he is a cowboy but was I the only one that had a hard time finishing one of his videos? Ole son is stuck in my head from now on. About like “hand” here at home.

I’ve finished about 150 of them with no problem, Ol’ Son.[emoji2]

Comment

Originally posted by MBV77 View Post
                    I’ve finished about 150 of them with no problem, Ol’ Son.[emoji2]

Lol probably just me.

Comment

Terrible day to be working cattle in the heat

Originally posted by Dudley View Post
                      That's called a hoolihan. Its used to catch horses. On big ranches, the horses are run into a corral and that is how the cowboys catch their ride each morning. Sometimes the cowboss will catch everyone's horse, and sometimes each cowboy ropes his own. Ive seen a few guys that never missed. Quite an art to it.

Originally posted by Sidro View Post
                      That horse loop, (hoolihan) is to keep from spooking the horse herd. Not as hard to throw as you would think. The hard part is figuring which way the horse is going to duck. Where I grew up two people(always the same two) roped horses out of the herd each morning.

You called the name of the horse you wanted to ride that day and they caught him. About 200 horses in the herd and they knew the name of each one.

Very cool stuff to me, I wish I’d grown up a little closer to that stuff.

I’m no horseman, or cattleman, for that matter...but I’ve always enjoyed being around it. I always got stuck on foot in the pens working gates, or the head gate. Lol we never did more than 20 at a time.

I still enjoyed it though, and it’s been a while now.

Comment

Originally posted by Worksalot View Post
                        This heat has really kicked our butts. We don’t have a choice on getting cattle sorted on several of the ranches. Brutal, absolutely brutal!! A couple of the bulls were eager to hurt someone. Did our best to avoid it happening. When we finally get them in the corrals there’s no more sitting in the saddles. The rest is done up close and on foot. I don’t think there was a stitch on any our clothing that wasn’t drenched in sweat or covered with dust. My face was a different color with all the dust sticking to me.
                        Yeah it’s always a good idea to wait til one of the hottest days of the year to work cows. Glad you didn’t have to pull out your gat and bust caps in any foreheads.
                        Last edited by CP121; 08-26-2019, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Last week, I worked cattle in the airplane for 2.4hrs. Way too hot for this!

Comment

Working...
                          X