2019/2020 bosque county

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rwc View Post
    Great bucks posted above. Congrats to both hunters.

Does anyone have the story on the McLennan County buck entered into the Clifton Chambers Big Buck contest? Has tons of character similar to allot of the corps bucks taken around Lake Waco in the past.

Breck and I hunted our river grounds early this week and saw a few bucks on there feet during day light. Just a matter of time.......

Rwc
    Hey amigo, I'll find out the story...when I call him and chew his ars out for not sending me pics! Just went pheasant huntin' with that joker a couple weeks ago!lol
    He was talking about one he was gonna be after when we got back...looks like he found him! His dad lives over here in Clifton, out toward Norse.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokeater View Post
      Hey amigo, I'll find out the story...when I call him and chew his ars out for not sending me pics! Just went pheasant huntin' with that joker a couple weeks ago!lol
      He was talking about one he was gonna be after when we got back...looks like he found him! His dad lives over here in Clifton, out toward Norse.
      I figured you would have a little insight........That buck has a ton of Lake Waco area characteristics.

Congrats to him, special deer.

Y’all kill any Pheasants?

Rwc

Comment

Originally posted by Peacock View Post
        No info but wow what a monster. I think that’s the highest scoring buck I have ever seen in that contest
        Agreed.

Rwc

Comment

Just got back from town to get gas for camp. At our neighbor entry way Saw 6 bucks running circles around a brush pile with tall grass growing up around it. They were charging each other running in and out the tall grass. Had a doe hiding from them In it. Three of them where dang nice. Had three small bucks chasing doe at our entry gate on the way out. Sooooo appears the rut is still on. Most rut activity I have seen all year.

“There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” -Fred Bear-

Comment

I have witnessed the most chasing of does by bucks in the last 3 days around the house. I would imagine that the same is happening on my river grounds also.

Might be a good time to go hunt an area that normally holds a few does......

Best of luck to all down the stretch.

Rwc

Comment

Set my river grounds yesterday evening and looks like the does that did not get covered the first couple of rounds are being harassed again. Did not see any mature bucks but did see a couple nice younger bucks. Also was very surprised to see all the feed be cleaned up again.

Pulled a couple cards and are very happy to see two of our mature bucks have made it so far.

Noticed quite a bit of hog sign as I walked out, probably going to start baiting the traps again after Christmas.

Best of luck to all.

Rwc

Comment

What a morning so far. Bucks chasing like crazy. Went from seeing only 1-2 deer all weekend to seeing 18 different deer this morning. 6 of those being doe. Had two stud 8s come in but wouldn’t stop long enough for a shot. Had a doe in the feeder trying to get my 8 yr old son his first deer. She kept her rear to us until the second buck showed. It switched to buck mode then. He saw the doe. Doe saw him and away they went. Have had a few small bucks show since and a stud 10 about 500 yards out. All in all the best sit I have had all season.

“There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” -Fred Bear-

Comment

Need some help on the ol decision making process guys. Never in my life would I imagine that being on a lease would turn to crap. I have been quiet but today was my last straw and I want to make sure I am not overthinking this.

During the Rut, Land Owners son who lives out on property cut out a lot of brush. This was to include 3 bedding areas. If it wasn’t a large tree, it was burn pile material. So we had roughly 10-12 house size burn piles and a lot of fresh dirt. Then a few days later he started burning and it has been weeks upon weeks and piles are still burning. This has created a smoke issue covering a lot of ground with the size of these piles. I confronted him very professionally and he said “Man I apologize but it is the only time of year I can do this. Shouldn’t hurt the deer movement”. Then he goes and picks up 40 head of cattle to add to the 30 already there. Most of the 40 are ready to have babies. Well because of this we have not been out in a few weeks. Instead I paid for a weekend hunt like a dummy in Llano to add on to my already pricey year on this lease. Went out today and even more cattle are around, feeders knocked over in the fields “Cattle WILL NOT be in guys”, and with almost 3,000 camera pics from 4 different cameras... 6 of them were Deer with 1 of them being a small young 4 point and the other 5 being the same Doe and her young one. We were seeing 8-10 Doe and several Bucks up until this all started going down. We invested a lot of time and money into making the land a better place to benefit the LO and ourselves. Well as I am leaving I go to our barn where we were told to keep all of our ATV’s, equipment, etc as it will be safe, cattle got in there because they opened all fences to let cattle graze untouched fields and all of our corn in pallets has been tore up and gone, extension cords to chargers were pulled out of walls with cattle getting in after feed and blocks, and some stand equipment has been tore up from getting stomped on. Our new guy (first year Deer Hunting) put a cellular cam out on his feeder in a field that was not to be touched by cattle was completely destroyed by cattle and no response from Land Owner as I have been trying NC to reach him. I told one of the guys on my lease I would get ahold of him to let him know what’s going on and he said “Won’t do you any good, he has been out here with his son burning piles and is on camera riding with his son around my feeder”.

What is it that one does after this? I have invested so much into this place to have a spot for my son and I to hunt (this is his first year) and I filled all lease spots for LO to build a relationship with it being our first year on it. Last year was a new lease until I found out the lease wasn’t owned by The guy I paid and we were kicked off and now this?!?! Not looking good for an honest guy trying to raise his boys right.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartan22 View Post
                    Need some help on the ol decision making process guys. Never in my life would I imagine that being on a lease would turn to crap. I have been quiet but today was my last straw and I want to make sure I am not overthinking this.

During the Rut, Land Owners son who lives out on property cut out a lot of brush. This was to include 3 bedding areas. If it wasn’t a large tree, it was burn pile material. So we had roughly 10-12 house size burn piles and a lot of fresh dirt. Then a few days later he started burning and it has been weeks upon weeks and piles are still burning. This has created a smoke issue covering a lot of ground with the size of these piles. I confronted him very professionally and he said “Man I apologize but it is the only time of year I can do this. Shouldn’t hurt the deer movement”. Then he goes and picks up 40 head of cattle to add to the 30 already there. Most of the 40 are ready to have babies. Well because of this we have not been out in a few weeks. Instead I paid for a weekend hunt like a dummy in Llano to add on to my already pricey year on this lease. Went out today and even more cattle are around, feeders knocked over in the fields “Cattle WILL NOT be in guys”, and with almost 3,000 camera pics from 4 different cameras... 6 of them were Deer with 1 of them being a small young 4 point and the other 5 being the same Doe and her young one. We were seeing 8-10 Doe and several Bucks up until this all started going down. We invested a lot of time and money into making the land a better place to benefit the LO and ourselves. Well as I am leaving I go to our barn where we were told to keep all of our ATV’s, equipment, etc as it will be safe, cattle got in there because they opened all fences to let cattle graze untouched fields and all of our corn in pallets has been tore up and gone, extension cords to chargers were pulled out of walls with cattle getting in after feed and blocks, and some stand equipment has been tore up from getting stomped on. Our new guy (first year Deer Hunting) put a cellular cam out on his feeder in a field that was not to be touched by cattle was completely destroyed by cattle and no response from Land Owner as I have been trying NC to reach him. I told one of the guys on my lease I would get ahold of him to let him know what’s going on and he said “Won’t do you any good, he has been out here with his son burning piles and is on camera riding with his son around my feeder”.

What is it that one does after this? I have invested so much into this place to have a spot for my son and I to hunt (this is his first year) and I filled all lease spots for LO to build a relationship with it being our first year on it. Last year was a new lease until I found out the lease wasn’t owned by The guy I paid and we were kicked off and now this?!?! Not looking good for an honest guy trying to raise his boys right.

If it was me I’d give it another year. We have been on the same property 22 years. It’s always had cattle on it. 50 -/+ head. We build feed pins and the cows graze around them but it doesn’t seem to hurt the hunting. 4-5 years ago he brought his goats on the place,150+. At first it made huntin slow but we still managed to kill deer and some good deer. I have seen deer walk out and do there normal thing with goats out in front of me(as long as the dogs weren’t there). One year during the week his boys were clearing fence lines and putting new fence up around the entire property. Didn’t hurt a thing. All while burning brush. This year has been the hardest hunting since on the place. But it seems hard everywhere. But I have learned deer get use to ranch work. Just my $0.02. For what it’s worth.

Comment

I really appreciate the $0.02 Buckwheat. I will probably stay on but others are leaving. Won’t be hard to replace them for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartan22 View Post
                        I really appreciate the $0.02 Buckwheat. I will probably stay on but others are leaving. Won’t be hard to replace them for sure.

Won’t be hard in bosque county. Good luck brotha.

Comment

Sparatan22, sure hate to hear about your landowner issues. Sure hope they work them selves out. I would recommend hanging in there for another season and have a respectful heart to heart with the landowner, this way you know that he understands your last season issues.

On a side note, if we where to play and win the MEGA lottery, 6,000 acres of the original NP Powell ranch hit the market last week. It is the most westerly piece of the original ranch. Asking price is only $26,000,000.00..........

Rwc

Comment

Originally posted by Rwc View Post
                            Sparatan22, sure hate to hear about your landowner issues. Sure hope they work them selves out. I would recommend hanging in there for another season and have a respectful heart to heart with the landowner, this way you know that he understands your last season issues.

On a side note, if we where to play and win the MEGA lottery, 6,000 acres of the original NP Powell ranch hit the market last week. It is the most westerly piece of the original ranch. Asking price is only $26,000,000.00..........

Rwc
                            RWC, I have requested to take the 2 Land Owners (brothers) to lunch on me so we could talk next year. No response yet but they are older and might take a few days. I plan on giving it another year with some feeder pens added and change a few things up. Just need to know moving forward their plan and some hopefully fix some communication issues.

Only $26 Mil? Chump Change for some but when balling on a budget for others, no big deal lol...

Comment

Working...
                            X