anthrax updates for Sutton and valverde

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rcole1310 View Post
    Man you are close to me. I’m 14 miles north of Brackettville. Spanish Gourd ranch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I grew up hunting the Spanish Gourd Ranch. We were on it for about 15 years and never had an anthrax outbreak. The year after we got off of it, we got on a lease in Campwood that was beautiful, right on the West Prong of the Nueces River. Unfortunately after we had gotten on it and signed a 5 year lease we were made aware there had been an anthrax outbreak the year before. Needless to say our deer hunting wasn't much to right home about until year 4 on the place. There was no shortage of hogs or turkeys though.

I loved the Spanish Gourd and it is the place that got me hooked on deer hunting as a kid. I have been all over it and spent many days with my dad visiting with Mr. and Mrs. Coates. We actually still have friends that hunt a portion of the original ranch, directly across the road from the old White House, or at least that's what it was referred to as back 20 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by gander View Post
      I grew up hunting the Spanish Gourd Ranch. We were on it for about 15 years and never had an anthrax outbreak. The year after we got off of it, we got on a lease in Campwood that was beautiful, right on the West Prong of the Nueces River. Unfortunately after we had gotten on it and signed a 5 year lease we were made aware there had been an anthrax outbreak the year before. Needless to say our deer hunting wasn't much to right home about until year 4 on the place. There was no shortage of hogs or turkeys though.

I loved the Spanish Gourd and it is the place that got me hooked on deer hunting as a kid. I have been all over it and spent many days with my dad visiting with Mr. and Mrs. Coates. We actually still have friends that hunt a portion of the original ranch, directly across the road from the old White House, or at least that's what it was referred to as back 20 years ago.

It’s a very cool place. I actually hunt a portion of it called the Ranchito. The very back past what they call the Macho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

With excessive dry heat, conditions will not improve. Hoping that we do not see affected area increase but to be honest, I am expecting it. Lots of my rancher buddies have vaccinated their livestock but not much they can do for the deer herd.
        Adios,
        Gary

Comment

looked like some rain showers rolled through the area yesterday. I sure hope so... Can anyone confirm?

Comment

Originally posted by txbonecollector View Post
            looked like some rain showers rolled through the area yesterday. I sure hope so... Can anyone confirm?

My LO said we got some rain yesterday.

Comment

Over 130 bodies found and Guys texting cameras not seeing any deer. I’m going this weekend to pull my cards, fingers crossed

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
                My LO said we got some rain yesterday.
                It was right on top of Ozona but not sure how far south is help together... Glad y'all go some!

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
                  Over 130 bodies found and Guys texting cameras not seeing any deer. I’m going this weekend to pull my cards, fingers crossed
                  Good luck bro! I should have my SD's back today or tmrw... I'll post update

Comment

We are planning to go this weekend as well.

Comment

Not that it helps, but at least you know where your deer are. Most of the affected folks in the Sonora area have minimal or zero game camera activity but no bodies to be found. Rather strange.

Comment

We've got some deer coming back around our place, but they aren't interested in many feeders at this point. I think the deer are spooked from all the hogs we've been seeing.

Comment

Our deer really backed off the feeders as well, so our landowner flew the property a little over a week ago and said the number of deer looked normal.

Comment

Forgive me if I missed it being mention as I tried to scan entire thread before i posted. Has any places near 41 and 336 in REAL CO. been affected? I realize it is just outside the triangle but its so close it got me curious.

Comment

Just finished reviewing game camera for one feeder. May and June had whitetail, fallow, axis, blackbuck, pigs everyday. From July 5th through August 5th, less than 5 whitetail on camera, no aoudad, the numbers of blackbuck dropped by close to 75% (the BB really needed to be thinned out) no axis and just a few regular fallow doe and pigs.

Depressing to watch. I'm going to try and get down there in the next week or two to fly it with my drone and see what we can spot from the air.

But, deer season down there looks to be over before it ever started.

Comment

Originally posted by chongo View Post
                                Just finished reviewing game camera for one feeder. May and June had whitetail, fallow, axis, blackbuck, pigs everyday. From July 5th through August 5th, less than 5 whitetail on camera, no aoudad, the numbers of blackbuck dropped by close to 75% (the BB really needed to be thinned out) no axis and just a few regular fallow doe and pigs.

Depressing to watch. I'm going to try and get down there in the next week or two to fly it with my drone and see what we can spot from the air.

But, deer season down there looks to be over before it ever started.
                                That's pretty much the story on my cameras also. I hope it's not as bad as it seems on camera.

Comment

Working...
                                X