anthrax updates for Sutton and valverde

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by James View Post
    Our owner gives me almost daily updates but I’ll be there Friday. I’ll keep everyone updated. Smartest thing I could do is turn off trail cameras but we will see
    Yep, every picture I looked at of anything remotely decent I would think "he's probably dead by now."

Comment

Originally posted by Kdog View Post
      Found another article on this. It talks a little about how it it was thought to come to the area in the first place and the role flies play.

I am sick about this, but but I know there is nothing we can do.

https://www.texasstandard.org/storie...5_ho2Kle07R2Kk
      Tpwd seems to think it is from the dirt or the grass close to the dirt. This professor says it is from flies.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Kdog View Post
        Found another article on this. It talks a little about how it it was thought to come to the area in the first place and the role flies play.

I am sick about this, but but I know there is nothing we can do.

https://www.texasstandard.org/storie...5_ho2Kle07R2Kk
        Link has a range map for anthrax in the U.S.. I have theory on why we have anthrax. WWII Japanese ballon bombs were also biological. The area map for anthrax in the U.S. is pretty much the same area where the biological ballon bombs fell. Jmo

Comment

I went to my lease off 189 out of Sonora this past weekend. 3 deer on camera since June 22nd. Corn piling up under feeders. Did not see any fresh dead but did see a bunch of buzzards circling and landing on a spot while I was driving out. Pretty depressing.

Comment

Originally posted by cg1219 View Post
            If I’m understanding correctly if any animals have died from anthrax nothing will eat them, but I could be wrong. So if anyone that has some die could you tell us if the buzzards are eating them or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            You're right... Nothing will touch them

Comment

Talked to a friend recently and he said a disease has been hitting in his State of San Luis Potosi in Mexico. His dad so far has lost 3 cows and 1 bull in one week. He says the animals just start appearing everywhere and usually this hits bad whenever it doesn't rain for a long time. Once it cools off or they get moisture it usually disappears on its own. They refused to let his dad take the animals to an auction or anywhere because of how contagious they were. Could this be Anthrax too all the way down in Mexico??

Comment

Originally posted by DEG View Post
                I went to my lease off 189 out of Sonora this past weekend. 3 deer on camera since June 22nd. Corn piling up under feeders. Did not see any fresh dead but did see a bunch of buzzards circling and landing on a spot while I was driving out. Pretty depressing.
                How far down 189 are you located?

Comment

For you guys that have seen no signs that it has hit your herd, I hope it stays away.

For all of you that is being affected, I feel your pain. 6-7 years back the place I had been hunting for a long time in the Brady, TX area got hit HARD with EHD. I don't have true data, but all I can say is we got hit hard.

The best thing I can say is to just stay the course, the numbers come back a lot quicker than expected. (at least they did in our case)

Good luck, wishing you all the best!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BrianG View Post
                    How far down 189 are you located?
                    CR408 about 12 miles from 277

Comment

Originally posted by DamonJ View Post
                      For you guys that have seen no signs that it has hit your herd, I hope it stays away.

For all of you that is being affected, I feel your pain. 6-7 years back the place I had been hunting for a long time in the Brady, TX area got hit HARD with EHD. I don't have true data, but all I can say is we got hit hard.

The best thing I can say is to just stay the course, the numbers come back a lot quicker than expected. (at least they did in our case)

Good luck, wishing you all the best!!!
                      A 85% loss is the number I heard from that year Damon.. I will say that the come back they made was hard to believe.. In 2 years it was like nothing even happened..

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                        A 85% loss is the number I heard from that year Damon.. I will say that the come back they made was hard to believe.. In 2 years it was like nothing even happened..
                        I would not argue with the 85%

Are you still in the same place & how's it been?

Sure hope they didn't run some crappy hunters in on ya...

Comment

Originally posted by DamonJ View Post
                          I would not argue with the 85%

Are you still in the same place & how's it been?

Sure hope they didn't run some crappy hunters in on ya...
                          Same place and it was a good year last year in October and then most of our good bucks vanished.... I manage to shoot a 140+" the 2nd weekend of bow season.

I'm not sure who is in your old pasture or how they act.. The dang wind turbines are moving into that area big time these days and my LO is in negotiations.. I would hate to lose it after 20+ but we will be gone if the turbines show up..

Comment

I would like to know more about places recovering from previous outbreaks. How long did it take? Were you seeing mature deer in the first few years? Did you not kill deer for a few years to let them recover? Any insight would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by jason86 View Post
                              I would like to know more about places recovering from previous outbreaks. How long did it take? Were you seeing mature deer in the first few years? Did you not kill deer for a few years to let them recover? Any insight would be great.
                              We had a estimated 85% kill in August, September and October of 2011 (per TPWD) and deer were scarce to none existent until mid to late December of that year and then they came out of the wood work.. They obviously moved in from somewhere. It was interesting.. The next year we had plenty of deer but it left a very noticeable gap in buck age structure.. 4 and 5 years later there were virtually no 4 and 5 year old bucks because the 2011 fawn kill was huge, a few made it but not many.. I think we have finally recovered from that hit..
                              Last edited by PondPopper; 08-12-2019, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jason86 View Post
                                x2. Been wondering the same.

Comment

Working...
                                X