anthrax updates for Sutton and valverde

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jason86 View Post
    My pasture, on the same lease James is on, is 7 miles due west from your gate of off 674.
    We are close to yall. We are 19 miles north of bracketville on 674. I'll get a report this afternoon as we have some family friends who went up this weekend for a family vacay

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Does anyone know of any research going on for this kind of anthrax?

If anthrax is spores on the ground it seems like sheep and goats would spread it so much that nothing would survive in a pasture with them.

I would think that a high fence ranch with exotics would not have a lot of livestock or be overpopulated by game animals. Is there a known correlation of animal density and morality rates?

If you are supposed to notify the authorities about any suspected cases, is there any public info put out by them about confirmed cases?

Any ideas or comments appreciated.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

Comment

You can check with your county assigned TPWD biologist or check the Texas Animal Health Commission(TAHC) they’ll have info on ALL REPORTED/CONFIRMED cases, and give weekly updates on their website. But speaking with some TPWD officials this is on pace to be worse than 05 break because they have tested/confirm cases outside the historic triangle and cases north of I-10 which it’s never crossed I-10 before according to them. Fingers crossed for Cooler temps

Comment

We are just outside of Montel, between uvalde and rock springs. Had about 5 different deer coming to our cabin feeder and had a few thousand game camera pictures from the last 3 weeks of deer, axis and aoudad. Didn’t see any signs coming or going that it has affected our herd.

Comment

I have a buddy with a place about 10 miles NW of Rocksprings off of Hwy 55. Anybody heard bad news about that area?

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
              We are close to yall. We are 19 miles north of bracketville on 674. I'll get a report this afternoon as we have some family friends who went up this weekend for a family vacay

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
              Another guy in my area has had two deer on his texting cam all week

Comment

Found another article on this. It talks a little about how it it was thought to come to the area in the first place and the role flies play.

I am sick about this, but but I know there is nothing we can do.

Anthrax is rarely found in Texas wildlife and livestock. But a particular corner in Southwest Texas, between Ozona, Uvalde and Eagle Pass, has become known as the “anthrax triangle.” An alarming 14 cases of the disease, caused by a deadly bacterial spore, have been reported to the Texas Animal Health Commission this summer.

Martin Hugh-Jones, professor emeritus and veterinary epidemiologist at Louisiana State University, says a mix of bad ranching practices and a special climate have resulted in the recent anthrax outbreak.

In the mid-20th century, the bones of anthrax-infected animals that had died on the East coast were used to make an organic fertilizer for plants and a nutritional supplement for animals. The bone meal was sold to Texas ranchers, and eventually ended up on salt licks or mineral blocks used for livestock and wildlife nutrition, Hugh-Jones says.

Alkaline soil, also known as “sweet soil” for its high pH and calcium levels, mixed with humus, a component of soil made of decomposed plant life, was a good environment for anthrax spores.

“What you have this year is what we call a Texas paradigm – you have late spring, early summer, heavy rain, and this encourages the hatching of the biting flies,” Hugh-Jones says.

Biting female flies spread the spores as they feed on sick or live animals, Hugh-Jones says.

Livestock are vaccinated for anthrax every spring by ranchers. The vaccine is very effective, and comes at a low cost – about $.40 cents a dose, Hugh-Jones says. However, anthrax can still affect wild animals that are difficult to vaccinate in large numbers, like white-tail deer. He says there aren’t yet methods of immunizing wild animals, by adding vaccines at feeding stations, for example.

“We’ve yet to develop an oral vaccine that you can use on deer,” Hugh-Jones says.

Hugh-Jones says humans are not at high risk for anthrax.

“Humans are hard to infect – easy to kill – but hard to infect, so as long you’re sensible and wash your hands after handling anything,” Hugh-Jones says.

Written by Geronimo Perez.

Comment

Originally posted by Kdog View Post
                  Found another article on this. It talks a little about how it it was thought to come to the area in the first place and the role flies play.

I am sick about this, but but I know there is nothing we can do.

https://www.texasstandard.org/storie...5_ho2Kle07R2Kk
                  While some people hunt the Golden Triangle, we hunt the Anthrax Triangle!

Comment

No signs on our place. Edward's county

Comment

Just got back from our lease in Sonora and our deer look good and healthy. Seen some really nice WT and Axis Bucks. Hope it stays off the ranch!

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
                        While some people hunt the Golden Triangle, we hunt the Anthrax Triangle!
                        I don't know whether to laugh or cry! I have been hunting out there since 2006. I guess we have been lucky. When I joined the lease it was discussed, but nothing more than an after thought since then. I am wondering if it is worse since there has not been a bad out break for so long.

Comment

I don't know whether to laugh or cry! I have been hunting out there since 2006. I guess we have been lucky. When I joined the lease it was discussed, but nothing more than an after thought since then. I am wondering if it is worse since there has not been a bad out break for so long.
                          Out of 22 quality bucks we are looking for, we’ve only seen one since July 26. I’m praying they’re alive and hiding but.... not looking good. Guys that usually see 30 deer a sit, pastures are a ghost town. It’s beyond depressing.
                          Last edited by James; 08-11-2019, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Out of 22 quality bucks we are looking for, we’ve only seen one since July 26. I’m praying they’re alive and hiding but.... not looking good. Guys that usually see 30 deer a sit, pastures are a ghost town. It’s beyond depressing.
                            It’s hot and dry, they may be laying up by a water hole somewhere.

Comment

Yeah, that's not good. From July 12th - August 1st I had a pretty significant drop in feed consumption and # of deer on camera. Seems like at least half the deer disappeared. There were still deer there, just not nearly as many. I really want to get back down there and check on things again, but I'm afraid of what I will find since the conditions have not changed.

Comment

Yeah, that's not good. From July 12th - August 1st I had a pretty significant drop in feed consumption and # of deer on camera. Seems like at least half the deer disappeared. There were still deer there, just not nearly as many. I really want to get back down there and check on things again, but I'm afraid of what I will find since the conditions have not changed.
                                Our owner gives me almost daily updates but I’ll be there Friday. I’ll keep everyone updated. Smartest thing I could do is turn off trail cameras but we will see

Comment

Working...
                                X