No announcement yet.

Non-Compete Agreement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With it being so vague, I would not sign it. At a minimum, I would mark it up and provide some clarity.

The last thing you want is your hands to be tied down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
      Noncompetes are rarely if ever enforced in Texas. As a right to work state they don't hold any water at all. I'm an electrical engineer by trade and have signed a few noncompetes. I've never heard of one enforced...but I've also never violated one either.

Comment

I did a 2 year Non-Compete, as well as a separation of interest, when I left the Machine Shop I help build up. but right away went to work for L-3 with no issues.. it was jus a paper work deal... not a bid deal for me...

Comment

Thanks to everyone for replying with their past experiences/advice. Switching jobs has been a tough decision since I already had a good job, and finding this out added some worry to it. I believe I am going to go ahead and sign it. There are plenty of companies in the oil/gas industry around here that I could go work for without violating the agreement if need be.

Comment

Originally posted by WTucker View Post
            Thanks to everyone for replying with their past experiences/advice. Switching jobs has been a tough decision since I already had a good job, and finding this out added some worry to it. I believe I am going to go ahead and sign it. There are plenty of companies in the oil/gas industry around here that I could go work for without violating the agreement if need be.
            Standard practice in the sales world for sure. If it’s a good opportunity I wouldn’t think twice about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
              This is not true at all. In fact, due to recent Supreme Court case law they are more enforceable than they used to be.
              What was the case? I'm genuinely curious.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                Source?

Comment

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
                  Source?

I got something better than a court case. I have personal experience. See post #36.

Yes it ended up being thrown out but my ex-employer sued to try and enforce it. I got to learn and hear more about this kind of stuff from my attorney that I ever wanted to know. It’s definitely wasn’t a one-off thing.
                  Last edited by Etxbuckman; 07-16-2019, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                    I got something better than a court case. I have personal experience. See post #36.

Yes it ended up being thrown out but my ex-employer sued to try and enforce it. I got to learn and hear more about this kind of stuff from my attorney that I ever wanted to know. It’s definitely wasn’t a one-off thing.
                    Interesting. I've worked in the engineering industry for almost 15 years and have never heard of an employer successfully suing an ex-employee for breach of an NCA. I've always been told by legal folks that they don't really have teeth, which is why I inquired about the SCOTUS decision cited above. I'm really curious to see that ruling b/c if may affect me as I'm employed under an NCA.

Comment

I wouldn't sign it if it meant I could no longer work in the industry of my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
                        No it didn’t. Only said the not going after accounts and techs for a year..... mine was pretty basic
                        I don’t know if I’d go for the not working in the trade part.
                        But as stated, it is a right to work state

Also, my no compete is within a 100 mile radius of the office. More than 50% of my accounts are further than 100 miles

Comment

Working...
                        X