Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When you trade in your vehicle do you give them both sets of keys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you trade in your vehicle do you give them both sets of keys?

If so then why don't they give two sets when you buy a used vehicle [emoji849]

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I’ve always wondered why they attach both sets with a cable that can’t be separated when you rent a car. Maybe so they can charge you for 2 sets if you loose them?

Comment

Originally posted by Stuck View Post
      I’ve always wondered why they attach both sets with a cable that can’t be separated when you rent a car. Maybe so they can charge you for 2 sets if you loose them?

It’s because they move the cars around so often. So if someone ever picks up one place and drops off elsewhere they don’t need to mail the key.

Comment

I usually give both keys due to the fact I won’t go to the dealership unless we have agreed on the numbers first. I recently took my wife to get a new car for her birthday and did not have all keys with me so the got the one in my pocket.

Comment

If I have both sets then they go. I just bought a used truck last summer and was only given one set. Seller specifically said it was the only key turned in with the truck. Since the truck had only been on the lot three days, I suppose he may not have been full of doodoo on that occasion.

Comment

I got both sets when I bought a loaner. They told me they lost the 2nd set, then called me a week later after they found it. Good people.

Comment

If you have them and its not an inconvenience

Comment

I trade keys and floor mats for keys and floor mats. Many times they have “found” the floor mats when they see me removing mine.

Comment

Always ask for a third set. New or used. Get them to throw it in. Costs next to nothing for a lot of car sales places. Most folks dont know if you have 2 programmed keys...you can buy a cheap unprogrammed key and use the first two then the car will program the third key. If you only start with two sets and lose one...no way to program a 3rd key and you are stuck having to buy the more expensive already programmed key. Not applicable to all vehicles....but a decent portion of them.

Comment

Of course

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
                      I trade keys and floor mats for keys and floor mats. Many times they have “found” the floor mats when they see me removing mine.

Interesting

I like

Comment

Keep one set so if you see it parked somewhere you can take it for a spin!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I worked for a dealer that done in house financing. We kept the second set. That way when I went to repo the the vehicle I just hopped in and took off. I didn’t have to use the wrecker.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                            I worked for a dealer that done in house financing. We kept the second set. That way when I went to repo the the vehicle I just hopped in and took off. I didn’t have to use the wrecker.
                            Makes sense IF you are financing through them.

Comment

all I can say is purchasing a key/and having it programed on newer cars is EXPENSIVE...I was quoted $ 300 on mine at Ford dealer....if ya shop around with different Locksmith you might one for 1 or 2 hundred...Liberty locks near NASA did me best

Comment

Working...
                              X