Part 2-2019 Saltwater Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
    Shimano. I have a concept also which isn’t bad but you cannot beat the Shimano lineup
    X 2 for me. Lots of good reels but ultimately I'm a Shimano fan.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Fished a tournament Friday and a friends wife got this big girl!!! She took second place in individual Spec trout.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by TXHUNT3R View Post
        Fished a tournament Friday and a friends wife got this big girl!!! She took second place in individual Spec trout.
        Congrats to your friends wife! Great fish!
        Last edited by DUKFVR; 07-29-2019, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wall_Hanger View Post
          Where y’all staying on the island?
          Buddy has a house on the big island on the Bay side.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
            Well the new boat purchase is going to be put on hold for a little longer... we decided we will just wait a bit no rush.

In the meantime I’m tired of replacing and or having reels fail I’ve been using abu Garcia revo but keep having to many problems with them. What do y’all recommend?

Shimano
            13 concept
            Lews

After several years fishing Curados, I switched back to Team Diawa. Their Coastal TWS reel is built for saltwater and their magnetic cast control is FAR superior to any centrifugal cast control as far as I am concerned. I'm completely switched over now. Sold all my Curados and over a hunert dollars worth of parts to a buddy... We both got a good deal far as I'm concerned...
            What I like about the Diawa reels for my style of fishing is that I can switch lure size/weight and continue to fish without having to stop and mess with the spool tension, and constantly be adjusting the reel. My Curados were very good reels, but I was never able to fish consistently well casting directly into the wind (which is most of the time when you're surf fishing). With this Diawa, I can rare back and let 'er rip without any issues with overruns/backlashing... When moving from 1/8 oz jigs or similar up to say a full size spook or other heavy topwater, I just turn the magnetic dial up a bit and I can throw anything from a spoon to a big ol topwater straight into a stiff incoming wind. Do that all day with a Curado or other centrifugal based reel, and your thumb will be raw and you'll be frustrated from picking out bird nests... (or I would be)!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
              After several years fishing Curados, I switched back to Team Diawa. Their Coastal TWS reel is built for saltwater and their magnetic cast control is FAR superior to any centrifugal cast control as far as I am concerned. I'm completely switched over now. Sold all my Curados and over a hunert dollars worth of parts to a buddy... We both got a good deal far as I'm concerned...
              What I like about the Diawa reels for my style of fishing is that I can switch lure size/weight and continue to fish without having to stop and mess with the spool tension, and constantly be adjusting the reel. My Curados were very good reels, but I was never able to fish consistently well casting directly into the wind (which is most of the time when you're surf fishing). With this Diawa, I can rare back and let 'er rip without any issues with overruns/backlashing... When moving from 1/8 oz jigs or similar up to say a full size spook or other heavy topwater, I just turn the magnetic dial up a bit and I can throw anything from a spoon to a big ol topwater straight into a stiff incoming wind. Do that all day with a Curado or other centrifugal based reel, and your thumb will be raw and you'll be frustrated from picking out bird nests... (or I would be)!

Good information Charlie, but did you have this trouble with the "I" series Curados? It's the new series out now that has a quick fine tune adjustment on the reel. I can go from 1/16 to 3/8 and only have to adjust my fine tune. Takes about 5 seconds, this goes for my Citicas as well. Always enjoy your wealth of knowledge!

Comment

Heading down to Aransas pass this evening and going to put the boat in the water tomorrow morning. Have plenty of room if anyone wants to tag along. Fishing from boat/wading/lures/bait I’m down for whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                  Good information Charlie, but did you have this trouble with the "I" series Curados? It's the new series out now that has a quick fine tune adjustment on the reel. I can go from 1/16 to 3/8 and only have to adjust my fine tune. Takes about 5 seconds, this goes for my Citicas as well. Always enjoy your wealth of knowledge!

Shane, I was using the old Greenies and the 200SF models (the old original ones)... I shied away from the new Shimanos because of the bad reports/reviews here and over on 2Cool a couple or 3 years ago and just decided to give the Diawa a shot. I was a Diawa fan boy many years ago when they had those PT series reels with the pop open line guides... best reels I ever owned, but I was pretty rough on 'em and it got to where I could no longer get parts so switched to the Shimano reels... was happy with them but never liked them as well as the old Diawas... Same with the Lew's... Good but not as good as the Diawa reels for my personal use. This Coastal is a saltwater version of the old tried and true Tatula.

Comment

I got out to EMB Saturday evening and caught a couple trout first drift. Then the SSW wind got going to about 18 mph and I took a whoopin' out there. I should have relocated but I'm not the smartest guy out there apparently. I stuck around got one here and there till about 7:30 the wind backed off. I got a few good ones before dark and headed in. I was sure feeling it Sunday though.
                    A lot of good fish pictures from the weekend, good work everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                      Shane, I was using the old Greenies and the 200SF models (the old original ones)... I shied away from the new Shimanos because of the bad reports/reviews here and over on 2Cool a couple or 3 years ago and just decided to give the Diawa a shot. I was a Diawa fan boy many years ago when they had those PT series reels with the pop open line guides... best reels I ever owned, but I was pretty rough on 'em and it got to where I could no longer get parts so switched to the Shimano reels... was happy with them but never liked them as well as the old Diawas... Same with the Lew's... Good but not as good as the Diawa reels for my personal use. This Coastal is a saltwater version of the old tried and true Tatula.
                      Gotcha, my dad is an old Diawa fan himself. That's all he uses is coastal, or those H2Os. He'll use those a year or two then throw "em away. I have one old greenie left myself, still a hell of a reel.

I will say though I don't dunk my reels, well not on purpose anyway. When I fish the surf I'll take my junk, never fish the surf with my good stuff. Seems my reels while surf fishing are in the water more than they're out.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
                        Heading down to Aransas pass this evening and going to put the boat in the water tomorrow morning. Have plenty of room if anyone wants to tag along. Fishing from boat/wading/lures/bait I’m down for whatever.
                        You a hair early. We're heading that way labor day weekend. Cant decide if I'm dragging the boat or 3 kayaks. Our rental place has boat slips but it looks shallow!
                        Originally posted by manwitaplan View Post
                        Son wanted to try for bigger fish today. Only run on big rod. Did catch drum, whiting, lady fish on bait rod. Water was decent but current and wind was tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Thats good eats there in that ray

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by chase15 View Post
                          Buddy has a house on the big island on the Bay side.
                          The section between the pass and the jetties or north of the jetties? My buddy has a place close to the jetties on the south side. We spent more time out there when we were building it than we do now!
                          Last edited by Wall_Hanger; 07-29-2019, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Part 2-2019 Saltwater Thread

Well the new boat purchase is going to be put on hold for a little longer... we decided we will just wait a bit no rush.

In the meantime I’m tired of replacing and or having reels fail I’ve been using abu Garcia revo but keep having to many problems with them. What do y’all recommend?

Shimano
                            13 concept
                            Lews

I have a BNIB Lew’s that I’d part with. Not sure I can keep because it’s Orange and White. [emoji23]

Last edited by gigem95; 07-29-2019, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gigem95 View Post
                              I have a BNIB Lew’s that I’d part with. Not sure I can keep because it’s Orange and White. [emoji23]

Is that the one from the big Academy sale a few weeks ago?

Comment

Shimano
                                13 concept
                                Lews

I’ve always thrown Shimano (chronarch and curado mostly), but a few years back I switched to that Lews Speed Spool Lite. I liked it so much that I bought a second one. I highly doubt that I’ll fish anything else now. Love that reel and its light as heck, especially paired with a light rod.

Comment

Working...
                                X