Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Returning a Security deposit (Tenet perspective)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He has to prove that he had it cleaned and that it cost him $500 or else he could say he replaced freakin light bulbs at $1000 each.

Make sure everything is documented and dont be afraid of small claims court

Comment

Well filled out the permit and sent everything over to him via email this AM.
      Another phone call and text with no reply.

Will be submitting the claim or suit (whatever it is called) here shortly.

Comment

You should have filled out one of these when you moved in. Then the LL should have used it when you moved out.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by batmaninja View Post
          You should have filled out one of these when you moved in. Then the LL should have used it when you moved out.
          We filled one out upon move in but Have not seen anything on his end from move out.
          2pm today will be 48hrs since I requested proof for everything and I have heard 0 from him.

Comment

He finally replied!

He provided a 350$ invoice for the carpet cleaning which is insane for roughly 400 sq ft in 3 rooms. He choose a place that is 20 mins away and I just called and they told me it would cost 169.99 for a clean or 239.99 for a clean and detox. I went ahead and called 3 places that were under 10 mins away from the address and all with high ratings and the average price was 147.00 for a clean or 210.00 for the clean and detox.

So that’s another 150$.

He said the check is in the mail for the deposit minus 500$ so I’ll be fighting the no proof for 150$ and using a carpet company out of the area and almost 2x’s as much for multiple places local which it looks like the Texas Property Code supports both circumstances.

Once again I would understand if we left the place a mess and said screw it he can take it out of the deposit but we didn’t. Plus I’ve never been charged for more that a “unclean oven” before at previous addresses.

Comment

Did you ask the carpet cleaning company, who's invoice he provided, if they actually cleaned your place and charged that much?

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                Did you ask the carpet cleaning company, who's invoice he provided, if they actually cleaned your place and charged that much?
                After I asked for pricing and then mentioned the invoice and how there is a 100$+ difference she couldn’t explain that. She mentioned someone else was taking orders previously.... Might be worth a look though!

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
                  After I asked for pricing and then mentioned the invoice and how there is a 100$+ difference she couldn’t explain that. She mentioned someone else was taking orders previously.... Might be worth a look though!
                  I am betting he faked the invoice. The company should have a record if they cleaned that location. Might be a friend of his.

Comment

Would an estimate (not an invoice) from a carpet cleaning company not be sufficient for the landlord to "set the value of the service" and keep that much of the deposit?

In addition, shouldn't the landlord's time be worth something?
                    If he spent half a day setting up services, waiting on the carpets to be cleaned, couldn't he charge a reasonable fee for his time and effort, similar to a management company?

Comment

I have always worked with my tenants to get as much of their deposit back as possible.

I have a specific pet deposit that is for carpet cleaning after they move out, it's not refundable and it is agreed to up front.

However if you have any repairs that a landlord does have to pay for services to do...IE.. paint, drywall there will be a min. $ to get someone out to do the work, otherwise you'll never get someone to do it, and if I do it myself my time will certainly be accounted for.....but yes there should be an invoice with details.

Good Luck.

Comment

I am betting he faked the invoice. The company should have a record if they cleaned that location. Might be a friend of his.
                        Called back and they had a invoice and asked her to email it to me just to verify. She still couldn’t tell me where the extra 110$ came from so I will be speaking with the other person who put in the order next week when they return.

Originally posted by Clark View Post
                        Would an estimate (not an invoice) from a carpet cleaning company not be sufficient for the landlord to "set the value of the service" and keep that much of the deposit?

In addition, shouldn't the landlord's time be worth something?
                        If he spent half a day setting up services, waiting on the carpets to be cleaned, couldn't he charge a reasonable fee for his time and effort, similar to a management company?
                        So I’m paying for “his time” with my deposit?
                        If he scheduled the carpet to be cleaned at a bad time for him I have to pay him for that time? How in the world does that work?

I just paid him x amount a month which he profited from and now he continues to profit of me after I return the house in the same condition we moved in like the contract states. Just because he somehow spent a portion of his day doing what you are suppose to do between tenets? Taking care of normal ware and tare that my deposit is not suppose to be used for.

Comment

Originally posted by Dugie View Post
                          I have always worked with my tenants to get as much of their deposit back as possible.

I have a specific pet deposit that is for carpet cleaning after they move out, it's not refundable and it is agreed to up front.

However if you have any repairs that a landlord does have to pay for services to do...IE.. paint, drywall there will be a min. $ to get someone out to do the work, otherwise you'll never get someone to do it, and if I do it myself my time will certainly be accounted for.....but yes there should be an invoice with details.

Good Luck.
                          Absolutely agree. Honestly I don’t mind covering the extra fees for the deep clean carpet clean. Heck if he would told me it’ll be 150$ total for the carpet for a deep clean because of the dog I would’ve been fine with that also. However the pet deposit was waived and no part of the security deposit was deemed non refundable.

500$ of my hard earned money for a Cadillac service that a dozen ford or Chevy places, half the distance from the house, could’ve provided with the same result plus 150$ for a service that cannot be proven is not okay with me.

Comment

However the pet deposit was waived
                            How did you get him to do that?

My guess is that is his sticking point. I bet he is saying the dog goes above and beyond, normal wear and tear.

I have a bulldog, so I know a bit about dog drool. Maybe he thinks something else, is all over the carpet and walls
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by batmaninja View Post
                              How did you get him to do that?

My guess is that is his sticking point. I bet he is saying the dog goes above and beyond, normal wear and tear.

I have a bulldog, so I know a bit about dog drool. Maybe he thinks something else, is all over the carpet and walls
                              Lol!

That may be what he is doing.
                              Service animal was approved beforehand with submitting proper documentation. I sent him a message saying I have no problem covering the extra cost for the “deep clean” (heck I rounded it up to 150$) to help because as you mentioned that could be valid reason.
                              The rest is a no go. Especially the part with no invoice.

Comment

Absolutely agree. Honestly I don’t mind covering the extra fees for the deep clean carpet clean. Heck if he would told me it’ll be 150$ total for the carpet for a deep clean because of the dog I would’ve been fine with that also. However the pet deposit was waived and no part of the security deposit was deemed non refundable.

500$ of my hard earned money for a Cadillac service that a dozen ford or Chevy places, half the distance from the house, could’ve provided with the same result plus 150$ for a service that cannot be proven is not okay with me.
                                I get it but as long as it's "reasonable" as far as the cost of the service for same type of service, you'll probably lose that argument in court, he gets to pick who services his house.
                                I would encourage you to fight for your money and it sounds like your getting some $ back which is good.
                                Document your communication and the terms of your lease agreement, at the end of the day that agreement is what is going to hold water in court.

Just for laughs, call the same carpet cleaning people back and tell them you need carpet cleaned for a house that a dog has "drooled" all over and see if their estimate goes up?
                                Last edited by Dugie; 07-01-2019, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X