Heating and cooling efficiency? Barndo vs. stickbuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heating and cooling efficiency? Barndo vs. stickbuild

For those that have a barndo or a stickbuilt home, which is more efficient for heating and cooling. I'll do spray foam insulation. Thanks

Too many variables to make a comparison.

Comment

Ok, let's say a 2000 sq. foot stick build vs. a 2000 sq. ft barndo. Which one would be more energy efficient?

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
        Ok, let's say a 2000 sq. foot stick build vs. a 2000 sq. ft barndo. Which one would be more energy efficient?
        A barndo will have thicker walls due to the red iron frame. Thicker walls = more insulation = more energy efficient.

I don't have anything to back that up, that's just the way I wrap my brain around it...

Comment

I have a 2400 sq. ft. barndo. Spray foam insulation. Everything but the cook top is electric. I have never had a electric bill over $200.

-john

Comment

Total square ft of windows is a very important factor. Less is more!

Comment

Too many variables really.

I have a 4,000 sf house without spray foam and it costs less than my 1,600 sf barndo with spray foam.

Comment

2400 sq ft barndo with 5 inches of spray foam and never had a electric bill over 160. We keep the house at 72 during the day and 68 at night.

Comment

On paper I would think if you're comparing apples to apples it should be about the same. I mean the same square footage, wall/ceiling height,windows, type of insulation, same HVAC etc.

In the real world though you're most likely never going to see that.

In the barndo that I am building myself I just got the AC up and running. I have only ran it for a few days. It has 10, 12 and 16ft ceilings and right at 4000sq ft. Will be awhile before I get a full month of actual use to see what it will add to my meter reading at the site.

I have found that running it during the day at 74 degrees with 52% humidity and turning the thermostat to 80 degrees over night it's been 77-79 in the mornings when I start work. So it seems the insulation is working pretty well.

Comment

Which one did you choose? We're in the process of installing a whole new heating system in our house and have even talked to quench water customer service about it. If anyone has tips, recommendations, or advice, I would greatly appreciate it. It's always helpful to hear from others who have gone through similar home improvement projects.
                    Last edited by HappyMangle; 03-24-2024, 03:06 AM.

Comment

If you frame it properly a stick build should perform better.

Comment

With standard framing I believe a metal building will perform better if foamed properly.

Comment

Biggest thing you need to understand is air sealing and heat transfer. Also upgrading the windows will help with heat gain issues.

Comment

If you are spray foaming either one, the difference will be negligible.

Comment

Working...
                            X