Degree in Agribusiness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Degree in Agribusiness?

How many of you have a degree in this field? Thinking outside the box. A&M Commerce has an online only degree track for it. Just didn't know what all could be done with it. They offer that and of course BS in business admin, gen business, and business analytics. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

Two of my buddies have that degree. Both work in the oilfield for weatherford. Both have good positions and make plenty money.

Comment

I used to work with Bayer and Monsanto a lot and some of those folks had it or an agronomy degree

Comment

Soil & Plant Science Classes are hard, some of the hardest to take in college! Yep, bayer crop sciences, and Monsanto.. also Pioneer i think would be another one. Most folks in that field also can work into USDA, NRCS, maybe even Ducks Unlimited etc...... my degree is close but it's not agribusiness.

Comment

I do, work in ag sales, earn a nice living with a ton of freedom. The opportunities are there.

Comment

I do, started out in the late 80’s in ag sales, been in the construction business for 25 years.

Comment

My dad has a Bachelors and Masters in Ag. He was in the corporate side of heavy equipment for 20 years before starting his own business. Like a lot of people he ended up in a different field than his degree.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
                My dad has a Bachelors and Masters in Ag. He was in the corporate side of heavy equipment for 20 years before starting his own business. Like a lot of people he ended up in a different field than his degree.

This is what I was wondering about. I want out of my field now and am looking at other options

Comment

Originally posted by robbyreneeward View Post
                  This is what I was wondering about. I want out of my field now and am looking at other options

Didn't you start a thread about being a realtor last week? Couple questions. How old are you? What do you like to do? How hard are you willing to work? What is you working history? Feel free to PM of you dont feel comfortable answering on here.

Comment

Going to be hard unless you are wanting to relocate or get out on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
                      Didn't you start a thread about being a realtor last week? Couple questions. How old are you? What do you like to do? How hard are you willing to work? What is you working history? Feel free to PM of you dont feel comfortable answering on here.

Pm sent

Comment

I was an ag business major my first 3 years of college, didn't know what to do with it and switched to Business administration. now I run my families construction company

Comment

Thats basically what my degree is. I loved it because we had a wide variety of classes from sales, economics to animals. I graduated in December 2010 when they had the government shutdown scare and a lot of job leads dried up due to that. Now in sales in the oilfield. Never expected to be doing this but here I am and my degree has maybe not been used to its full potential but definitely hasn't hurt me to have it and a lot of people from Tarleton in the oilfield so networking has been good

Comment

From my perspective your degree doesn’t matter (with a few exceptions) after about your first 5 years in industry. From there I want to know what you have done, specifically how you think about problems and learn on the job.

I got a Logistics degree from University of North Texas. Now I’m the head of agriculture procurement for a large snack food company. Could I be the agronomist? No. But I can lead people, develop strategy and manage financials.

We’ve got 6 interns this summer with a wide range of degrees. Their assigned projects are in line with their degree but not exactly. We are looking for those that can think on their feet, are able to be a self starter and can communicate well.

The degree and college are just a foot in the door. Good luck.

Comment

I have my undergrad and masters in Agricultural Economics...……….which is now called Agri-Business at universities. The ultimate in versatility in classes and career opportunities. I started with Cargill in Virginia for a few years before deciding to get a Masters. After MS, went into sales with Asgrow Seed in Northern Iowa for a quick four months then made an offer by American Cyanamid (in New Jersey) I could not refuse...….(now part of BASF). 14 or so years there then into the pharmaceuctical industry with Eli Lilly for 11 years covering 7 states in human health sales...…….then another interesting offer came about with Biogen Idec (human health biotech sales) which last 4 years or so. Now I own restaurants and have small interests in other business ventures...……….been a wonderful run at every turn!!! Even my older brother who is a Mechanical Engineer says, "I wish I would have majored in Ag!"

Comment

Working...
                              X