Gofundme.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gofundme.

Has anyone ever made an account with them. Your thoughts.

I think it's horribly abused, but there are situations where it's legit and warranted, and I have given to a few. Turns my stomach to think that I might ever have to be in a position to use that for myself. I'm prideful & been too independent for too long to have to resort to that.

Comment

That's the word Pride. Someone who starts one for themselves, no pride. Pass

Comment

Helped bury a buddy of mine...............

Comment

Legitimate reasons yes. For vacations and not necessary items, no.

Comment

Never made an account. Context is everything...I've seen it used for (IMO) "legitimate" purposes and I've also seen it as a method of getting a handout for frivolous spending. It's a tool and can be whatever people want to make it to be.

Comment

I've never started one. I think they have their place. I also think it is probably abused more often than not.

Comment

I don't see the issue if it is used for a legitimate reason, but I can think of VERY few legitimate reasons. I wasn't responsible enough to protect my family by purchasing insurance so now I want you to bail me out is NOT a legitimate reason to me.

Comment

Originally posted by codie View Post
                  i don't see the issue if it is used for a legitimate reason, but i can think of very few legitimate reasons. I wasn't responsible enough to protect my family by purchasing insurance so now i want you to bail me out is not a legitimate reason to me.
                  agree ^^^

Comment

I had a customer send me one to get an operation for his dog! I said no thanks. But he ended up getting almost $5000!

Comment

I've always chosen not to participate in any crowdfunding. There's no way to truly vet and ensure the monies are going to be used appropriately.

Comment

I think they also take a very high percentage of the money for themselves!

Comment

Originally posted by bps3040 View Post
                          I had a customer send me one to get an operation for his dog! I said no thanks. But he ended up getting almost $5000!
                          We live in a world where people care more about dogs and cats than humans.

Comment

It kinda bothers me a bit. Most of the problems that folks try to solve for with GoFundMe could possibly have been prevented with some planning.

Stricken with cancer? You could have found a job with health insurance.

Spouse died unexpectedly in a car accident? You have options for life insurance, not to mention you could have saved for catastrophic events.

Storm blew the roof off your house? Most people have home insurance, but I've heard there are people that cancel their home insurance once the mortgage is paid off.

With that said, I must admit that I have recently (within 2019) donated $300 to a colleague that I had never met who works in Charlotte, NC. I had worked with him for about 2 months prior trying to get his wife on a confirmed flight to Munich, Germany for what they believed could have been a life saving treatment. I talked to him 3-4 times a week and had just hit a jackpot on a scratch off ticket, so I wanted to help.

Contradicts my first example, but I guess the difference is he was seeking alternative treatments that extended beyond everything else he had tried within the limitations of his insurance.

So for me, what it boils down to is about 99% of the GoFundMe's are just people that are ill-prepared and make bad decisions looking for a quick fix when life overwhelms them financially. And those contributing are probably the same people who "understand what their going through," because they make the same poor choices themselves. Then you have the 1% like who I felt I was working with.

Comment

I'm closing on my house tomorrow.

Sure could use a $100k.

How do I sign up.....? Let's try setn a record for raising $100k the fastest !

Let's see..... 1000 tbh'ers at $100 ea....... ????

Never given to GoFundMe and dont plan to. Seen lots of folks using it that are too lazy to make a sign and go stand on the street corner like the rest of the bums. (I might give em a few $$$ that way, and actually have).

Im sure there are legitimate uses for it but I'd rather see funds raised in local stores (jars) and even better through churches.

Comment

Working...
                              X