Google Mesh Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by offthemap View Post
    This is interesting. Thanks for the write up. I've been looking into setting up a mesh system for awhile but always heard bad reviews about the Google system. Sounds like you guys have had success though. Does the Google system also act as a "smart hub" to control lights, plugs, locks, etc., (via Zwave or Zigbee) like the Samsung SmartThings system can?

I was considering the Samsung SmartThings mesh because of the home automation aspect. I really want to be able to control locks & lights from an app and set a "scene" or "setting" where all of my exterior doors lock at a certain time of night, certain lights / lamps come on in the morning, etc.
    Did a little digging, this is what I found: Google WiFi doesn't control zigbee or zwave devices.
    I have found other threads, this is a list of a few of the things that GW is controlling / supporting:
    List of connected devices:

Google Home
    Google Mini
    8" Lenovo Display
    Harmony Hubs
    SmartThings Hub
    Hue Hub
    Ring Doorbell and 1 Stick Up Cam
    Schlage smartlock
    Roku Premiere Chromecast,
    Roku TV
    WeMo switches
    Synology NAS
    August Door Lock and Wifi Bridge
    Samsung Robo Vac
    Hue Bridge and lights
    Canary Cams
    Alexa devices Spot, Echo etc
    Various RaspberryPi iOT experiments
    Apple Home Hub (4 Gen TV)
    Netatmo

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
      If your company is only giving you 75/75, then Google is lying to you.
      It can't magically create more bandwidth, than your company is allowing you to have.
      Possibly I'm not understanding your post
      Nope, To get 75/75 they had to drop a fiber to my house. The fiber is good up to 500/500.
      Your router and the main drops are the limiting factors.
      They open the gate way to let you get what you need. The next step is them giving me a new node at their router to give me more speed.

I just now have a router that allows those speeds.

Comment

wifi control is great but also is opening up your house to outside control

Comment

Working...
        X